passing guard

Cameron

Purple Belt
Reaction score
recently i started training with some guys older guys who train mma, we were working on submission wrestling. im new to submissions and only do high school wrestling. the people i was roling with were alot more experienced and stronger and i had alot of dificulty passing their guard. i was wondering what are some techniques i can use to pass a larger stronger opponents guard?

Pick him up and wait for his legs to tire....

Go get some good BJJ instruction.
I might as well ask you, "Dude...you wrestle. How do I pin a guy who's a bit bigger than me?"

There are possibly over 100 techniques to "Passing the Guard." Have a qualified BJJ instructor show you 1, 2 or 3 of them. Then practice those only until you've mastered them.

To name a few:

Pin the knee
Tail-Knee
Canopener
Standup and Shakedown
Underleg Pass

Cardio has given you sound advice.

If you want to see what a bunch of guard passes look like, get my book Passing the Guard. It is not a substitute for practice and hands on instruction but it give you pleanty of ideas.

www.grapplingarts.net

DMcKayBJJ said:
Go get some good BJJ instruction.
I might as well ask you, "Dude...you wrestle. How do I pin a guy who's a bit bigger than me?"

well for me when i wrestle guys on my team that are bigger than me. i use the cradle. once you get the take down jump in to side control and grab that leg and cradle that guy. im faster than bigger guys, dont know about you but if you are use that to thier strength.

thanks guys hope fully i can have some more success in passing the guys i train with guard... some one said get a bjj instuctor, see i would how ever i havnt had luck in finding any in my area.

check out randy couture's ground fighting techniques instructional. it's awesome, he focuses completely on the wrestler's point of view, so no bullshit subs from a man who isn't an expert in them. he just covers stuff he knows best, i can't recommend it enough.

What is the "cradle"?

IMP said:
What is the "cradle"?

its when your in side controle you grab the leg thats farthest from you and grab underneth his knee then your other arm is around the back of his head and try to touch his knee to his head

I see... that's what we understand as Side Control already... (at least literally translated).

ed beneville said:
Cardio has given you sound advice.

If you want to see what a bunch of guard passes look like, get my book Passing the Guard. It is not a substitute for practice and hands on instruction but it give you pleanty of ideas.

www.grapplingarts.net

Did not realize you have a new book out on 'the guard' the previous one was really good, especially depicting many angles, pics, and emphasizing details all in color unlike many of books that fail to do this....I'm going to have to check the new one out.

Back