Partner shadowboxing (in a boxing gym)

ironkhan57

Banned
Banned
Reaction score

So I got some work in today. There are a lot of people in the boxing gym so the instructor can't focus on the shadowboxing spar that me and this guy were doing.

So the first video was half a round because we started late. The 2nd video was a full round.

I was trying to work on head movement and timing and accuracy. I did get hit. I'm not world class lol.

See what you guys think. And constructive criticism Is always welcomed.

and yes I know the camera man sucked, it is what it is.

Yes this is the boxing gym I joined before Christmas week.

Last edited:

So I got some work in today. There are a lot of people in the boxing gym so the instructor can't focus on the shadowboxing spar that me and this guy were doing.

So the first video was half a round because we started late. The 2nd video was a full round.

I was trying to work on head movement and timing and accuracy. I did get hit. I'm not world class lol.

See what you guys think. And constructive criticism Is always welcomed.

and yes I know the camera man sucked, it is what it is.

Yes this is the boxing gym I joined before Christmas week.

Posture is definitely better here, try using smaller quicker steps, also I highly recommend some partner drills, just to get that jab parry down. Probably the main thing I noticed is you weren't really parring the jab. The head movement looked pretty good (natural, not over exaggerated)

Posture is definitely better here, try using smaller quicker steps, also I highly recommend some partner drills, just to get that jab parry down. Probably the main thing I noticed is you weren't really parring the jab. The head movement looked pretty good (natural, not over exaggerated)

Yeah I have the guys number too. I think I might get him to meet up and train. The jab I really just wanted to practice slipping.

Smaller quick steps would be nice I should just practice more footwork when I'm at home. I usually just do a little shadowboxing at home.

The instructor normally tells us what to do. But he doesn't really do partner drills.

Last edited:
I've had a lot of practice with my head movement. Especially on the bag over there.

I only watched a min but I noticed your feet got too close together quite a few times, looked like when going forward youd move your back foot first, or the front but only a tiny bit and then the back foot a lot, so thats bad as you need to maintain your stance and not have it narrow up when moving. You can work on that just shadowboxing, practicing moving around, front foot first when forward and back foot same distance forwards after that etc

edit - you can see it plenty in the first 20 seconds of the 2nd video as well, and your front foot is going first when moving back when it should be opposite. have a watch yourself back of the vids and just see what your feet are doing.

Yeah I have the guys number too. I think I might get him to meet up and train. The jab I really just wanted to practice slipping.

Smaller quick steps would be nice I should just practice more footwork when I'm at home. I usually just do a little shadowboxing at home.
Slipping the jab is a great technique but it requires more reflexes than parrying. You also have to be careful you don't slip into the right hand. Keep up the good work I can definitely see improvements.

The instructor normally tells us what to do. But he doesn't really do partner drills.
just follow the coaches instructions, but if you find the time to do some drills before or after class, or at home that would be great.

I only watched a min but I noticed your feet got too close together quite a few times, looked like when going forward youd move your back foot first, or the front but only a tiny bit and then the back foot a lot, so thats bad as you need to maintain your stance and not have it narrow up when moving. You can work on that just shadowboxing, practicing moving around, front foot first when forward and back foot same distance forwards after that etc

edit - you can see it plenty in the first 20 seconds of the 2nd video as well, and your front foot is going first when moving back when it should be opposite

Yeah I have a habit of that shit because it's like I sometimes I feel like going for a darting right hand lol. But I'll definitely work on that.

Is it better for a boxing fight to do it that way?

Slipping the jab is a great technique but it requires more reflexes than parrying. You also have to be careful you don't slip into the right hand. Keep up the good work I can definitely see improvements.

just follow the coaches instructions, but if you find the time to do some drills before or after class, or at home that would be great.

Yeah next time I see him, I'll try to get him to meet up.

Yeah I have a habit of that shit because it's like I sometimes I feel like going for a dating right hand lol. But I'll definitely work on that.

Is it better for a boxing fight to do it that way?
Whats a dating right hand? when your feet are too close together like that, you arent in a position to take a punch and you arent in a position to throw a punch yourself either, so its no bueno

Whats a dating right hand? when your feet are too close together like that, you arent in a position to take a punch and you arent in a position to throw a punch yourself either, so its no bueno

I meant to put darting lol but auto correct is a bitch lmao.

So your saying that my feet were a little too close together. So If I'm moving forward, step front foot forward, and than push with my back foot right?

I've actually heard a lot of people on here so my feet are crossing or too close. I need to work on that shit seriously.

I forgot to read the top part of your response. Yeah I thought slipping is much harder than parrying. In one of the videos I was putting my hand in front of his punches easily. But I guess that's because hes not an experienced boxer.

I can't wait for the next time. Tomorrow the instructor is probably going to do padwork with me. Or maybe just do a full conditioning day idk but it don't matter either way.

I meant to put darting lol but auto correct is a bitch lmao.

So your saying that my feet were a little too close together. So If I'm moving forward, step front foot forward, and than push with my back foot right?

I've actually heard a lot of people on here so my feet are crossing or too close. I need to work on that shit seriously.
Takes a bit to get the hang of, but keep using footwork on the double end bag and it will start becoming more natural.

Takes a bit to get the hang of, but keep using footwork on the double end bag and it will start becoming more natural.

Alright thanks for the feedback. Hopefully I can get a fight before the end of the year. I know it just started but damn I want to fight real bad. At least before summer. And if I keep training inside and outside the gym I think I can.

I forgot to read the top part of your response. Yeah I thought slipping is much harder than parrying. In one of the videos I was putting my hand in front of his punches easily. But I guess that's because hes not an experienced boxer.

I can't wait for the next time. Tomorrow the instructor is probably going to do padwork with me. Or maybe just do a full conditioning day idk but it don't matter either way.
After watching Marciano I started carry my right hand higher and more to the left of my face. Just having good hand positioning can take the jab away from your opponent. I highly recommend you watch the way Marciano parries the jab and steps in behind it. I land a heap more right hands now that i've learnt to close the distance without eating so many jabs. Not only that my right packs a heap of power as I now get into position to punch through the target more effectively.

After watching Marciano I started carry my right hand higher and more to the left of my face. Just having good hand positioning can take the jab away from your opponent. I highly recommend you watch the way Marciano parries the jab and steps in behind it. I land a heap more right hands now that i've learnt to close the distance without eating so many jabs. Not only that my right packs a heap of power as I now get into position to punch through the target more effectively.

I'll check him out. Never watched Marciano fight though. I heard he was 50-0 before mayweather.

I'll check him out. Never watched Marciano fight though. I heard he was 50-0 before mayweather.
A lot of people sell Marciano short. He may look a little crude and slow but he was a master at closing the gap and setting punches up. He would continuously land a massive overhand that had no right landing against a professional boxer, just because of how well he set it up (usually a short left uppercut or hook)
I have learnt more from watching Marciano than any other fighter (I'm slow and also pack a decent right)
And if you though Sanchez liked to fight he had nothing on Marciano.
The reason i refer to more modern fighters like arguello and zarate is they fight with a high guard style, which is easier to learn, but my favourite fighter is Joe Louis.

Too close together for that level work. Take a step apart and focus entirely on form and nothing else. Too much threat for it to be constructive.

Too close together for that level work. Take a step apart and focus entirely on form and nothing else. Too much threat for it to be constructive.

Alright thanks for the feedback. Sinister.

A lot of people sell Marciano short. He may look a little crude and slow but he was a master at closing the gap and setting punches up. He would continuously land a massive overhand that had no right landing against a professional boxer, just because of how well he set it up (usually a short left uppercut or hook)
I have learnt more from watching Marciano than any other fighter (I'm slow and also pack a decent right)
And if you though Sanchez liked to fight he had nothing on Marciano.
The reason i refer to more modern fighters like arguello and zarate is they fight with a high guard style, which is easier to learn, but my favourite fighter is Joe Louis.

A lot of people like joe louis. A guy on YT said in his oppinion joe louis is one of the greatest boxers of all time.

A lot of people like joe louis. A guy on YT said in his oppinion joe louis is one of the greatest boxers of all time.
He made punching look easy. He is my favourite because he had the best right hand I have ever seen. It was both straight and ridiculously powerful. His control of distance and ability to draw a lead and then counter with the right was poetry, especially when he was young.
Watch his Ko highlights, some of the best knock outs you will ever see.

Back