Parrying and cuffing in boxing/kickboxing.

SportsScience

White Belt
Reaction score
I find that my defencive style has evolved to be mostly parrys (moving the punch away) and cuffs (where you stop the punch with your palm).

I want to know if there is a way to make my cuffs and parrys so strong it can hurt my oponents hands. I know it hurts when i smack down hard on the thumb, espesialy when my oponent is wearing regualar boxing gloves! mu ha ha ha.

Also just a thought is this cheating in any rule system?

Be careful slapping the punches too hard, you will probably bring your hands to far away from your face. This opens you up to getting faked, ex. fake jab, throw lead hook. If you slap downwards too much then you won't have enough time to bring the hand back to defend the hook.

Ive got it down to a short sharp movment and my hand usualy stays out so if the big right hand comes out i can stop that aswell. Its something i need to work on alot harder and spend some more time refineing when and how to do it.
Are there any boxers that do this?

Block soft, hit hard!!!!
I do a lot of parrying jabs but to parry too much you open yourself up for hooks etc.

There are dirty tricks in Muay Thai where you can parry an opponent's incoming fist into one of your elbows, but I agree with the "block soft, hit hard" theory; you just want to redirect the incoming punch just enough for your opponent to just miss, otherwise you're overdoing it and risk leaving yourself open.

I find that my defencive style has evolved to be mostly parrys (moving the punch away) and cuffs (where you stop the punch with your palm).

I want to know if there is a way to make my cuffs and parrys so strong it can hurt my oponents hands. I know it hurts when i smack down hard on the thumb, espesialy when my oponent is wearing regualar boxing gloves! mu ha ha ha.

Also just a thought is this cheating in any rule system?

I wouldn't bother. Difficult with boxing gloves on. You could try blocking with the elbow that definitely hurts. Maybe parrying but that would be a bit spacky!

Are you honestly worried about hurting your opponent's hands with your blocks/ parries? Sure, sometimes the other guy can catch your elbow or something, but by and large you block/ parry not to receive damage yourself.

As someone else said, block soft & hit hard. Good defense is marked by doing just enough to avoid damage so that you have opportunities to counter, not by overdoing it.

It's like this if I jab left and the guy parrys hard to the out side of my jabbing hand the left hook shoots out very naturally so be careful of over parrying.

What are you talking about, I don't recall ever having my hand or wrist hurt by blocks or parries with the exception of hitting the elbow, I think I did that maybe once in about 4 years of training.

There are ways and methods of doing destructive blocks. boxing gloves pretty much protect the hand all but the most extreme of them, MMA gloves will stop most of reliable ones. That leaves just punishing the arms and against a conditioned fighter you are going to have to really really read the attack and time the block almost perfectly.

Not impossible, I get complaints all the time from sparring partners about beating up the upper forearm and wrist area. But this is only becuase I spent over a decade training style of blocking that considered blocking to be "hitting the opponents attacks". But with gloves on I am nowhere near actually breaking a hand with them.

There are ways and methods of doing destructive blocks. boxing gloves pretty much protect the hand all but the most extreme of them, MMA gloves will stop most of reliable ones. That leaves just punishing the arms and against a conditioned fighter you are going to have to really really read the attack and time the block almost perfectly.

Not impossible, I get complaints all the time from sparring partners about beating up the upper forearm and wrist area. But this is only becuase I spent over a decade training style of blocking that considered blocking to be "hitting the opponents attacks". But with gloves on I am nowhere near actually breaking a hand with them.

A decade of Karate???

I use my palm to parry and cuff so its obviously really hard. But i see what your saying about boxing gloves being to much padding to really get any good damage though.

The elbows thing sounds like a good idea ill do some research and give it a shot.

Back