Parnell's brilliance

borntoloseNOT

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
How would you all classify a guy like Pernell Whitaker? Sure what he did in the ring defensively was outstandingly cool, especially at the level he was, something a guy like Naseem Hamed couldn't do, but would you call it defensively sound?

Things like the hands down, the clowning, the bending at the waist, the head movements seemingly just to frustrate but often not even counter, and maybe most importantly the crouching in the corner with head movement... sometimes I looked at Pernell as more of a RJJ type talent, just such perfect physical gifts for clowning everyone, but from a technical standpoint actually somewhat inadvisable and not something other fighters would or should ever try and imitate.

Lots of fans ask how a head to head with a guy like Floyd would have gone. I don't see how Whitaker could have won when so many aspects of their game was evenly matched, but Floyd exhibiting PERFECT technical Brilliance fueled by a lot of physical gifts.

Whitaker was amazing, but was he a defensive strategist or a freak with reaction time? Classify him.

Edit: are you kidding me? Autocorrect changed thread title to Parnell? What a fucking shit phone I have. Mods, a little help?

He had a very conventional style imo.

Good jab, simple economical headmovement, high guard, double jab straight left hand and a good body attack.

He looked unorthodox in highlights that were made up of him clowning but for me most of his game was solid fundamentals.

Edit: are you kidding me? Autocorrect changed thread title to Parnell? What a fucking shit phone I have. Mods, a little help?
Thread is now about Lee Roy Parnell.

i remember thinking, "how's anyone ever gonna beat him?" no one really did until he was older. great fighter, i've never been as impressed by mayweather or even anyone else on that oly team of 12 medals or however many it was.

I think he's the best southpaw ever. At least the ones that i have been able to watch. A lot of people mention many fighters before him. The only guys with an aura that seemed as unbeatable as Pernell were prime Roy Jones and the version of Mike Tyson that won the heavyweight tournament when he was like 20 years old. Pernell is definitely more talented than Tyson and imo is only guy on RJJ skill level that most of us have seen...probably everyone unless somebody here saw SRR, Pep, Greb, Armstrong etc for more than grainy highlights, maybe 3 or 4 full fights. Doubt anybody was on that level though...

He was a jazz musician doing his thing and hardly caring about the rest. Don't try this at home.

Back