Pardon the Interruption bashes MMA

The funny thing about mma is that bjj is probably the biggest aspect of it (in terms of novelty compared to other combat sports) and is in itself pretty damm gay. Ok not gay, but quite a ways from what north america considers violent. Sport grappling is a far, far cry from barbaric.

we watched too much MMA and became desensitized to its violence and blood.

of course, the fighter can always tap out instead of taking a beating.

but they rarely do.

some fights should be stopped as well. Nate Diaz vs Marcus Davis should have stopped. there were no way Marcus should have been allowed to keep fighting.

Even veterans boxers will cringe at the sight of Marcus face and his busted up eyes.

we watched too much MMA and became desensitized to its violence and blood.

of course, the fighter can always tap out instead of taking a beating.

but they rarely do.

some fights should be stopped as well. Nate Diaz vs Marcus Davis should have stopped. there were no way Marcus should have been allowed to keep fighting.

Even veterans boxers will cringe at the sight of Marcus face and his busted up eyes.

I thought Matt Brown vs Pete Sell was an abomination. Brown didn't even want to continue, but the ref wouldn't stop the fight.

long story short:

who gives a fuck what these 2 assholes think?

they just yap about sports yet they do not play any and are the most athletic guys ever.

Those guys talking about sports is like a virgin talking about sex.

I like PTI but their opinion on MMA is total ignorance.

One person mentioned that people over 50 will never "get MMA". They were raised on boxing and that is what they think of fighting. I work with a guy who thinks it's brutal. he doesn't get "tapping out" and thinks quitting = "No Mas".

I'm just glad ESPN has some positive MMA shows - MMA live, Rome talks about it and Sportscenter covers the big fights.

I like PTI but their opinion on MMA is total ignorance.

One person mentioned that people over 50 will never "get MMA". They were raised on boxing and that is what they think of fighting. I work with a guy who thinks it's brutal. he doesn't get "tapping out" and thinks quitting = "No Mas".

yeah, I find it funny b/c often the most "barbaric" thing about MMA is the punch to the face right? So the only real difference with boxing is that (a) older viewers have been gradually/perpetually exposed to it and thus accept it and (b) they see people getting GnP'd and don't understand the ground game. If you don't understand grappling (Kornheiser and Wilbon have no knowledge whatsoever in this area or boxing either) you just see a guy being pinned down by another and beaten with lighter gloves that look almost like barenuckles. If you do understand it (for some of us) a guardpass to mount that makes the attack from mount possible can be comparable to watching Jordan doing that airborne dunk-fake-to-backside-layup we've all gawked at. But, to the general public, Jordan's movements are like Michelangelo while MMA is more like Picasso/Dali. Some people get it and some people don't.

I'm just glad ESPN has some positive MMA shows - MMA live, Rome talks about it and Sportscenter covers the big fights.

Do have to give them credit to an extent, but I would think that it would be good if they got someone to come on PTI and other shows without understanding and discuss MMA. Even if that happens, they're never going to give more than 2 minutes to run through it, so the guest would have to be very well-spoken, knowledgeable, not look like a wildman (Chuck w/ mohawk) and likeable (e.g., Franklin, Florian, Randy).

At the end of the day, part of the fault also goes to the promotions, where fighters talk or are even encouraged to talk about "breaking faces" and garbage like that. You can't have commercials talking about how people are going out there to maim their opponent and simultaneously say "we're an artform that should be respected." Sadly, that trash talk sells PPVs to the violent-natured youths (yutes?) who love MMA for the maiming itself. Those clows will be cheering for Brock/Overeem/whoever in MMA or the Undertaker/Goldberg in the WWE, whoever suits their interest at the time. But that's part of the audience and it's still being targeted by the UFC and other outfits.

While some fans are able to point out the small techniques, mma looks exactly like a bar fight to 95% of everybody else. You have 2 jacked up guys whose standup is abysmal, and then one guy tackles the other and starts raining down punches from on top.

I used to DVR Pardon the Interruption and watch it every night after work. At the time I wondered why they never discussed MMA as it became more and more popular, especially after the second Chuck/Tito fight. Around the time Chuck and Rampage II happened they did a small segment bashing Chuck and saying similar things as they are now. Wilbon wasn't as bad, but Tony clearly loves boxing. I haven't watched it since that time and figured they would have learned more about it as it became more and more mainstream. It's sort of sad to see such a popular sport show still remain ignorant of how complex MMA really is. It kind of reminds me of a professor several years ago coming into my Philosophy of Mind class after it was over and saying, "Why not do philosophy of the foot?" He just didn't get it...unfortunately.

I think SportsCenter has gotten much better and they now have MMA Live, which you didn't see a few years ago.

not the first time, and probably not the last. it's usually a good show, and i usually enjoy the snarky comments but when they talk trash on "MY sport", i tend to get pissed-typical sports fan. :icon_chee

Back