Pardon the Interruption bashes MMA

ProdigyOfZen

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Well I was watching PTI with Tony Kornheiser and Mike Wilbon yesterday 10-25-10 and they had a small segment entitled Lesnar.

The mailbag question asked was "If MMA is ever going to get mainstream how can they if their heavyweight champions keep losing?"

Both Tony and Mike totally dismissed it and the first thing Wilbon said was it's Barbarism total barbarism. Then Tony chimed in and said yes it is barbaric, it already is a mainstream sport and is all over tv. Then they just jumped to the next question and dismissed MMA entirely.

Here is the link to the podcast on ESPN if you would like to hear it.

PTI - ESPN

The last episode is middle of the page on the left toolbox. easy to get.

It is absolutely crazy how these guys can praise Boxing/Pacquaio/Mayweather etc yet totally dismiss MMA as barbaric.

The difference in how the older generation 50+ think and the younger 20+ think is really pronounced in that segment.

Someone really needs to get on PTI and debate those guys on how it is perfectly okay to stand in a ring and beat on someones head for 15 rounds or play 16 football games where you continuelly get hit in the head EVERY PLAY for 60 mins yet getting in a fight for 15 mins is barbaric. Half of those fights do not even last the 15 mins and a quarter are BJJ/Wrestling matches.

BUT times are a changing. What do you think?

ignorant people are ignorant. Have you seen the shit thats going on in NY with their senate trying to keep it out? If you can, find the inside MMA episode with Joe Rogan on it. Hillarious response by rogan.

Good thing you posted this in the grappling section, can now have a serious conversation around this.

First let me say I have been practicing mma/bjj for over 7 years now, and teaching for a few. You have to look at something else....are BJJ/MMA barbaric. No. Far from it, but those are professionals.

I'd say upwards of 90% of the students that come in are just kids trying it because it looks cool or they will be able to beat someone up. I work with many of the local schools and astonishingly the number of fights has risen dramatically in the past few years. Amazingly many of these kids are trying to mimic things they see on tv even wearing fight apparel.

Answer is it's not barbaric for professionals, but for the standard stupid american public it's a sport where the activity is an intimidation factor. This is why you will always hear people saying stuff like "I could take him" with relatively no basis for saying that.

The "stupid politicians" are not sitting around paying attention to professional athletes, they are looking at the kids wearing clothing and copying what they see on tv ->making it barbaric. Have you seen an untrained person "spaz" around, it's not art or respect.

Just in case anyone wants to hear it, follow the original posters directions, and they start discussing it at 16:52.

Good thing you posted this in the grappling section, can now have a serious conversation around this.

First let me say I have been practicing mma/bjj for over 7 years now, and teaching for a few. You have to look at something else....are BJJ/MMA barbaric. No. Far from it, but those are professionals.

I'd say upwards of 90% of the students that come in are just kids trying it because it looks cool or they will be able to beat someone up. I work with many of the local schools and astonishingly the number of fights has risen dramatically in the past few years. Amazingly many of these kids are trying to mimic things they see on tv even wearing fight apparel.

Answer is it's not barbaric for professionals, but for the standard stupid american public it's a sport where the activity is an intimidation factor. This is why you will always hear people saying stuff like "I could take him" with relatively no basis for saying that.

The "stupid politicians" are not sitting around paying attention to professional athletes, they are looking at the kids wearing clothing and copying what they see on tv ->making it barbaric. Have you seen an untrained person "spaz" around, it's not art or respect.

These are actually some excellent points. We're sophisticated fans. I don't mean we're a bunch of ivory tower eggheads, I mean we know the sport, we train, we appreciate the subtleties. Your average casual fan doesn't. He likes the violence. Go to some local D-level shows, you see plenty of guys who are just in it because they have a violent nature. Now, those guys almost never make it to the top, because that same nature stops them from putting in the disciplined training that you need to make it far in MMA. But there are tons of people like that.

Is MMA barbaric? In a purely objective way, no, not really. But it is violent, and for a lot of participants and fans, that's the appeal.

200+ lb guys run into eachother trying to catch a ball and America thinks its. The greatest sport in the world. Yet mma is more barbaric?

i'm tired of seeing kids on youtube "duking it out ufc style" that's for sure.

ignorant people are ignorant. Have you seen the shit thats going on in NY with their senate trying to keep it out? If you can, find the inside MMA episode with Joe Rogan on it. Hillarious response by rogan.

Ha ha ha!

I just want to also post that I was not trying to bash PTI or anything and that I enjoy the show the few times that I watch it a month.

I was just trying to point out that one of the top ESPN shows is bashing MMA and dismissing it entirely. I rarely watch ESPN and i was surprised they even had a 30 second segment dedicated to it.

The one thing I have to say to this is, it is 10x times better to have kids fight each other 1 vs 1 with fists then to have them fight 10 vs 5 with knives and guns.

If MMA teaches kids to fight with honor 1 vs 1 and without weapons then I am surely for that. But then again some schools have outlawed any touching whatsoever, even high fives and hugs. Some school in I believe Phoenix is a no contact school.

They give "air high fives" and "air hugs" WTF? Search for the article it is hilarious

Tony Kornheiser was never good and is possibly the most annoying man on teleivision.

As well sometimes I think Wilbon has the downs.

Wilbon tried to diss Lance Armstrong saying the Tour De France was just "riding a bike" with "no strategy." That is completely retarded.

Those guys only know what football,basketball, and baseball are. They are completely ignorant to anything else

Those guys only know what football,basketball, and baseball are. They are completely ignorant to anything else

These are the same people that are up in arms over the NFL suspending and fining its players for intentional head shots.

Calling MMA barbarism?

The one thing I have to say to this is, it is 10x times better to have kids fight each other 1 vs 1 with fists then to have them fight 10 vs 5 with knives and guns.

If MMA teaches kids to fight with honor 1 vs 1 and without weapons then I am surely for that. But then again some schools have outlawed any touching whatsoever, even high fives and hugs. Some school in I believe Phoenix is a no contact school.

They give "air high fives" and "air hugs" WTF? Search for the article it is hilarious

You aren't getting my point at all, they aren't fighting 1 on 1 with honor. Any kid with honor isn't picking fights to begin with. These people are learning how to fight so they can talk crap, and back it up. Which is stupid.

200+ lb guys run into eachother trying to catch a ball and America thinks its. The greatest sport in the world. Yet mma is more barbaric?

In response to this.....how often do you hear.
"I COULD TACKLE HIM ON THE FIELD" vs "I could take him"

with the spokesman and announcers that the UFC brings to table, which sadly to nearly all people view as MMA as a whole, i can see how many people have a hard time taking it seriously. The barbarism comment is just flat out ignorance but it's PTI we're talking about it here is that really surprising?

with the spokesman and announcers that the UFC brings to table, which sadly to nearly all people view as MMA as a whole, i can see how many people have a hard time taking it seriously. The barbarism comment is just flat out ignorance but it's PTI we're talking about it here is that really surprising?

Are you upset that the UFC doesn't have Max Kellerman and Larry Merchant doing play by play in their tuxes? Personally I prefer it the way they're doing it, and their duo of Goldberg and Rogan, while they certainly have their moments, is certainly better than Mauro Renallo and Gus Johnson any day of the week.

Back