Paragon (MoBa by Epic Games)

RevXwise

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Anyone been playing this? I think it's still in closed beta but goes open in a week or so. I've been having a blast with it. It's third person like Smite so accuracy matters. Here's the site to learn more about it. It's seriously a lot of fun.

Been a few months since I've played it. It really is a fun game for a moba. Adding some first person shooter mechanics was genius.

However, the developers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to "upgrade" the matchmaking such that it took upwards of an hour of "searching" to find a game. I put up with it for a few weeks thinking they'd fix it, but they never did.

I liked the game, I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I didn't have 2+ hours to play ONE game. God forbid I lose my one game.

I got pretty high up in the rankings. I wasn't quite on the skill level of Beeckon and his kind, but I'd play against them everyday. The main difference between those top players and the rest of us is that they ONLY play with a full team. And at least 1 or 2 of them would be "smurfing" on some brand new silver account so they could win more elo points against lower teams. Clowns.

Last edited:
I don't like the way the game looks, the animations look janky as fuck and the more "realistic," approach to the art direction is hideous to me. Then again, I've only watched videos and streams and haven't actually played the game.

I played for a while it's a fun game. Haven't played any MOBA in a while though.

However, the developers, in their infinite wisdom, decided to "upgrade" the matchmaking such that it took upwards of an hour of "searching" to find a game. I put up with it for a few weeks thinking they'd fix it, but they never did.

I liked the game, I just couldn't deal with it anymore. I didn't have 2+ hours to play ONE game. God forbid I lose my one game.

I think the matchmaking is based on your personal rank or something. My first game took nearly 10 minutes (!) to join. Every game since then has taken me about a minute or two to join. I actually really like that about the game; it's pretty fast compared to most other games in that regard.

As for the animations, they're pretty fluid. At least I haven't really noticed any animation jankiness in-game or anything.

The only thing I don't really understand is the card system. I get that they're items, but it seems like they only take 3 upgrades in order to get the set bonus. You can either get 3 1-card upgrades and get the set bonus, or stuff up to 6 3-card upgrades in there. Not sure why I would wait for 18 card upgrades to get the set bonus when I can just get it with 3. Then again, I don't really understand how it all works.

I also don't really like how there seems to be some sort of game design choice to oppose healing out in the field. You only get one health potion that has two charges in it or you can get some life steal stuff, but the support classes can only throw small shields on you. There don't seem to be any healers in the game. Seems like there's a deliberate decision to force you to use the long-ass base teleport thing and take you out of the game for periods at a time. I guess it's because people didn't understand that the cards could only be bought at base or something and they needed a way to force them back to the base.

I like it. Kinda slow paced though. They need to cut the cool downs a bit. Maybe by one third.

I think the matchmaking is based on your personal rank or something. My first game took nearly 10 minutes (!) to join. Every game since then has taken me about a minute or two to join. I actually really like that about the game; it's pretty fast compared to most other games in that regard.
Yea, it's based on a hidden elo, which you can find by looking up your game name at the websites agora.gg and fury.gg. Or at least those were the popular web sites a few months back.

If it only takes a few minutes for you to get a game, that's good. They must have fixed it recently. The queue used to be bad no matter what your rank.

The only thing I don't really understand is the card system. I get that they're items, but it seems like they only take 3 upgrades in order to get the set bonus. You can either get 3 1-card upgrades and get the set bonus, or stuff up to 6 3-card upgrades in there. Not sure why I would wait for 18 card upgrades to get the set bonus when I can just get it with 3. Then again, I don't really understand how it all works.
You're right, smaller upgrades are always better in the sense that you get the upgrade bonuses quicker. BUT you can't use too many of them or else you'll end up with a full inventory but not maxed out at 60/60 cards.

The pros favored 2-cost upgrades whenever possible. If you don't have a lot of 2's, try mixing a 1, 2, and a 3 to average out the same. That's how I got the most out of my deck. I would use up all my 1's and 2's. Late game, add a 4 or 5 or whatever it takes to fill you up to 60/60 without running out of space.

I also don't really like how there seems to be some sort of game design choice to oppose healing out in the field. You only get one health potion that has two charges in it or you can get some life steal stuff, but the support classes can only throw small shields on you. There don't seem to be any healers in the game. Seems like there's a deliberate decision to force you to use the long-ass base teleport thing and take you out of the game for periods at a time. I guess it's because people didn't understand that the cards could only be bought at base or something and they needed a way to force them back to the base.
I think it works well, personally. Even the shields feel overpowered, or at least they did when I played. I'd hate to see a Rampage who keeps getting healed. He'd never die.

Back