1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Pankration

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by teamcarvalho, Jul 28, 2010.

1. teamcarvalho

teamcarvalho Green Belt

2. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

Like anything it depends on the rules. Looks similar to amateur MMA, sort of.

As for CAMO, I hear it's sort of a scam, like you have to pay tons of money for everything.

3. ItsArun

ItsArun Green Belt

I have, about 2 years ago:

it was fun.

4. Title Fight Productions

Title Fight Productions Steel Belt

I think its a great way for young up and coming am. fighters to get some experience.

5. chino3

chino3 Purple Belt

yup, $300 bucks IIRC, and the refs/judges... well, lets say that using the term questionable is being too easy on them...

6. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

No punches to the face/head = FAIL

7. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

I disagree. I think it is a pretty cool rule set up, grappling, a little striking, not full mma. I am a fan of this rule set, and wouldnt even mind MMA switching to this, if in a few years it is being more heavily protested against.

8. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

[​IMG]

9. 206warrior

206warrior Purple Belt

Hahaha, I understand. But being an athlete, having played football, boxed, etc. I want to be able to comprehend whats going on when I'm older. Hits to the head aren't good for the fighter. I still watch, and compete in MMA, but I don't think it would be a bad thing.

10. Mickey Oneil

Mickey Oneil Orange Belt

Pankration should be allowed as an Olympic sport once again.

11. Kozbot

Kozbot Purple Belt

You don't think it would be a bad thing to disallow punches to the head in MMA? Pretty much the most basic aspect of fighting there is?

12. juji gatame**

juji gatame** Brown Belt

However watered down it would be I'd support it.

13. Andrew Green

Andrew Green White Belt

Depending on the level of the fighters, yes?

For Pros, no.

But as a amateur system, hell yes.

I'd like to see at least 2 sets of amateur rules, Pankration (without headshots) would be a great first step into MMA. Followed by a thicker gloves & shin pads with no knees or elbows to the head step, and working up to pro.

For this sport to really take off, it needs a thriving amateur competition circuit. Going right down to younger kids, with rules suited for them. I'd like to see things get to the point where kids grow up playing MMA, the same way they currently play baseball, football or hockey.

14. jfrank

jfrank Green Belt

There is a worldwide effort to get this in the Olympics under the 169 member nation FILA organization, which already has Wrestling in the Olympics. In fact, it can be added easily as an additional discipline of Wrestling rather than a new sport. FILA is also developing a full contact version of this sport.

However many member nations must fist receive sanctioning in their perspective countries. Due to CAMO the sport has seized in California where we once led the nation in Participation.

The USA Federation is trying to work with CAMO to bring the sport back to California and recently addressed the association of Boxing commissioners to prevent similar occurrences in other states.

Read more here:
    News

Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
  15. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

All im gonna say, is before CAMO came along, it was a lot of fun.

Since they've taken over, i havent competed in Pankration.

Id rather get paid to fight, and win, than pay to fight, and not get paid to win.

16. jfrank

jfrank Green Belt

17. Oliver Geddes

Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

I've had 20 amateur MMA fights, which over here is basically the same rules as Pankration. I'd dig up videos, but I doubt anyone really cares.

Anyway, I enjoy them, they are a good first step for a grappler into an MMA environment, and a good step for a striker to learn to deal with takedowns and submissions.

So...try them. I'm happy to pay to fight if you get a couple of fights guaranteed, same as a grappling comp, really. ^_^

Take care,

Oli

18. Mike Wilson Jr.

Mike Wilson Jr. Amateur Fighter

^ The fees in CA are outrageous though Oli.

Hardly worth the risk, espeically the advanced divisions, which allow all basically everything but strikes to the head.

19. Oliver Geddes

Oliver Geddes Amateur Fighter

Oh. Okay.

For comparison, over here, it's about $30 to fight, you get two fights in a day, slams are legal (no spiking), kneebars, footlocks, no toeholds (sometimes) no heel hooks (always), and shinnies are required. Sometimes on a mat, sometimes in a ring, sometimes in a cage. Depends on the comp.

Is it seriously $300 a fight? @[email protected]

20. socalpankration

socalpankration FIGHTLEAGUE.ORG

We have been relatively quiet on this as we have been working relentlessly behind the scenes to try to work things out with the California Commission and CAMO. Now that it appears we have exhausted our diplomacy we will start disclosing what is going on and everyone should be concerned!

There may have been some unconventional dealings that led the California Commission to grant CAMO exclusive rights to sanction all Pankration in California. This was done without notice or due process to our organization or any other.

To date we held (in California) approximately 30 low cost and accessible tournaments in 8 years, all without one single significant injury or incident. Our organization is the only US federation adopted by FILA under the International Olympic Committee and we have always gone out of our way to fully advise the commission on what we were doing.

With all this, CSAC Intern Executive Officer William Douglas would not communicate to us during the entire delegation process to CAMO (from April to August 2009 we made several unanswered calls and emails), leaving us clueless that the delegation of MMA also included Pankration.

We are not sure what motivated the CSAC to do this but since CAMO was granted the sole privilege, the sport has died. They did not understand the difference between a show and community based tournament nor did they understand that Pankration was legit stand alone sport and not just MMA without head strikes. CAMO offers no path towards Regional, National, International or World Championships and is just