Panic when being smothered

Thanks 4 the tips guys.... I didn't know about 'never laying flat on my back'. From now on, i'll start to bridge and shrimp when anyone tries that..Or maybe next time, I'll just try relaxing and get smothered and try to enjoy it instead of fight it.... I guess as someone says, it'll take mat time to get over that....

I guess that getting smothered is way better than being surprised by your partners dripping sweat falling into your mouth.....Or when farts on your face when you're in a triangle....

Smoeone farted on you while in their triangle? That's effed dude....You shoulda smacked him. :)

You don't need to "lie there" to get used to being smothered. You should want to get out of that position. Just keep cool in doing so. Remember to stay tight, etc and escape the position like you've learned to escape any other position...in control!

I used to have a bigggg prob with claustrophobia. Even now it sometimes creeps up on me if I get too gassed out. That idea with the gi over your face is a GREAT idea . I'd also try just remembering that if you can breath your fine. The people who say ,"man up." probably have issues with themselves so don't even heed their advice.

Id say be calm, don't let your opponent completely flatten you and learn/drill escapes from where you get stuck. Everything in bjj has a counter and then another counter to that, so you are usually never as stuck as it seems.

use the panic to your advantage...let it motivate you to oompa and get off your back. i never heard of being tapped by just someone laying on top of you, unless, literally, it's a total smothering where you are nowhere to be seen. lol.

I tapped several times due to claustrophobia when I was new to the sport. I'm mildly claustrophobic, but it was still a surprise when I felt the panic set in the first time. What helped me was learning the hip escape. Practice the shit out of that escape. Knowing you can escape makes all the difference in the world.

the worst feeling is when you're actually asphyxiated. it seems like you just forgot to breathe, until you try to inhale and your lungs don't work because you're being compressed by a 220 pound monster.

nah, the worst part is when you try to breathe and then you realize you're not getting air... you're only giving your overweight partner a chest hickey.

Snorkel... or this

I would also like to add that you should at least ponder MANNIN' UP.

Seriously, just keep hip bumping and trying to spin under. The transition will give you a moment's rest. Part of it is being "tired" though, as you mentioned. Actually when someone takes side control, you should focus on just relaxing. This should be an opportunity to catch your breath actually. Just spin out to get to normal side control if necessary to get air.

I have to agree that NOTHING sucks as bad as being smashed by some huge guy as he lays on top of you. It is just miserable. I just try to get my head to the side as said before and get some air. I also try to get to guard immediately so I can hip out and relieve the pressure. I don't know, I get mauled by the 250 pounders all the time..

It sucks. You'll get used to it with more training. never be flat on your back though.

Generally speaking, that feeling comes from your mindset, its not actually a result of the physical force. You have to calm yourself down, it's all in your head.

Relax, close your eyes and just breathe. I had this problem too, panicking is the worst thing you can do.

Back