Panic when being smothered

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by 879lexus, Sep 14, 2010.

1. 879lexus

879lexus Blue Belt

One of the worst things for me when rolling is when someone has me in side control or mount and then they smother me with their chest and their gi. I find it hard breathing and I'm so tired that I start to panic. In the beginning, it bothered me so much I would tap out cause I just wasn't able to get air... Now I still panic a little, but I try to bridge out of it and keep moving... I still panic when I just totally tired and drained and don't know what to do..

How do you deal with people trying to smother you with their chest and gi?

2. lechien

lechien Gold Belt

never get caught flat on your back.

side control or mount.

always stay on one shoulder instead

3. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

What lechien said, but in case you do get flattened out and smothered, simply turn your face so you can get some air. Try turning your face towards your opponent, I believe turning away makes you weaker and also less aware of what your opponent is doing.

4. Goldbricker

Goldbricker Orange Belt

I would also like to add that you should at least ponder MANNIN' UP.

5. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

Lol, I was asking one of the higher belts for some advice on this topic back when I first started grappling and his response was similar.

6. Mat Nemesis**

Mat Nemesis** Green Belt

nut up or shut up

7. JoLOveS

JoLOveS Yellow Belt

You know you ain't impressing anyone on sherdog pretending to be a tough guy, just saying. I used panic in the beginning as I am mildly claustrophobic, but eventually got over it, just somehow turn your neck to breath.

8. dazed863

dazed863 Blue Belt

i don't think you ever really get over the feeling of being smothered... it's a survival instinct after all....

but like others have said stay on your side and face your partner. you'll get the idea.

also think of how you shrimp or bridge over one shoulder.. that how you should be moving under your opponent... if your doing those two things right you should never be getting smothered.

9. Bebop

Bebop Brown Belt

the worst feeling is when you're actually asphyxiated. it seems like you just forgot to breathe, until you try to inhale and your lungs don't work because you're being compressed by a 220 pound monster.

10. hughes fan

hughes fan Silver Belt

I just bump my hips and spin. Even if it slightly works then I usually have some air coming in. I just can't tap to smother, it's just too easy.

11. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Spend as much time as you can in that position, being smothered, until you can deal with it calmly. Part of the purpose of smothering someone is to encourage them to panic and make a mistake in escaping. Learn how to stay calm, defend and escape intelligently by putting in the time and gaining experience and confidence in the position.

12. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Well, uh... he is right, but I think that was a little harsh. It's something that you'll have to get used to, and it takes time. The trick really is trying to be calm and not get alarmed. Think of something else, like being at home, a certain song, something not related to grappling, remember to breathe, and try not to be flat on your back. When you're with your back in the ground, you're done.

13. Wandgun

Wandgun Orange Belt

You internet tough guys are hilarious...

14. platfox

platfox Silver Belt

I'm not sure if it would be a good thing to let your mind wander to other places. I would think that focusing on your opponent and your next move would be a better option.

15. Steelviper

Steelviper Green Belt

Some of our escape drill warmups are done breathing through the nose only, to help get used to having your mouth covered. It helped in one of my early tournaments when my mouth got covered by a lapel, and I was able to calm the panic after remembering the drill we'd do.

16. Sloth

Sloth Brown Belt

Here's another trick i was shown;

After a hard training session where you are gassed and totally wiped out, take your gi (or a towel if you don't have a gi) and put if over your face while you are laying on your back trying to recuperate. Helps me get used to that smothering, claustrophobic sensation while I am trying to catch my breath and recover.

17. An end for

An end for Purple Belt

Well, I can see why it would be a bad thing. It worked for me when I just started, and helped me not panic and end up gassing out. Besides, the guy is already on top of you and you are being smothered, so you're really not at risk of forgetting that you're trapped under him and running short of breath.

18. [Tycho?]

[Tycho?] Brown Belt

Deal with it.

Its going to happen. Sure you can defend against it, but unless you're a 250lbs black belt, there's always going to be someone that will give you that crushing/smothering feeling. We've all been there, and yes it totally sucks. I can deal with it because I am quite competitive, and I don't tap from position because its like I'm giving up. Well, against this one wrestler I tap from his kesa gatame, but he does it in such a way that I literally cannot inhale. I still fight it, but same as if my mouth and nose are both covered, I do still need to breathe once and a while.

19. Auspex

Auspex Brown Belt

I'm against the idea of day dreaming while you're being smothered.

This type of situation is no different than someone having a choke on you. You MUST settle down. Relax, remember that you've been taught to escape and go through the motions.

Even though your mind is panicing, you are NOT in danger. Even if you pass out, you are NOT in danger. You will not be injured unless someone is conciously trying to hurt you.

This is just one of those aspects of grappling that you're going to have to get over. You may tap to the panic, but just look back at what transpired and tell yourself next time you'll get past it.

20. Alphamale1906

Alphamale1906 White Belt

I actually have the same problem, partially because I'm claustrophobic. I used to tapout as well just to get out the position and to get air. Now I try and stay calm and close my eyes when I'm in a bad position. It helps me to relax and figure out my next move to escape.