Panic attacks

I've been here for a while too and my opinion of her is the complete opposite. She's in my top 3 favorite posters. But she can be easily misunderstood by some, I have noticed. So maybe you're taking things the wrong way when she posts stuff?

Probably am.

Probably am.

Don't worry, man. It happens to us all.

When are you gonna make an animal rankings thread again? Those were interesting and a lot of fun.

They are terrible, my advice is to just look for coping mechanisms. For me it was counting back from a 100 by 3s, or putting on a calming video from YouTube. Also I remind myself during the attacks that I've been through them before and I'm still here and this time will be no different.

Maybe you should not drink coffee, stop being hungover and try sleeping. I have the same issues if I do that, it's called life. Thankfully we've not made an acronym out of it.
Sounds good, but I own a bar, and on weekends often work 12-16 hour days on the wrong side of daylight then try to be 'normal' by waking up after 3-4 hours sleep and hang with the family on Sundays.

It's not something I plan to do forever, but I tend to need a few shots on weekends to deal with the usual patron dickbaggery, I find getting to sleep as soon as I've knocked off is hard, then waking up hours later to be with the family/girlfriend is also tough, but i find coffee works better than sanctimony.

Any Sherdoggers experiencing them?
I've been having them for quite some time but they were bearable. Recently they've been become kinda acute. Lack of breath, dizziness are my most common symptoms. They can happen on a crowded bus or during an argument with a stranger. If you have panic disorder, how do you cope with it or how do you treat it?
Best thing to do with panic attacks is to get an understanding of what they are first- this really demystifies them. The best explanations of panic attacks and anxiety comes from cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). Basically the fight or flight mechanism we all have to survive is identifying certain things as triggers to go into action. This cause adrenaline to be released into the system and hence the feelings you get.

some helpful things to know
this is one of the most treatable things without any need for medication
really important to know that the anxiety builds and makes you feel like you need to run, fight or do something. However when it peaks it then starts to drop again returning to a comfortable state. The body has simply released its dose of adrenalin and then it will stop, other calming chemicals are then released and they do their job, calming you.
Problem is most people have run out the door before this point, this only reinforces the notion that you have to escape the situation to calm down. by knowing that in the situation that triggers the anxiety there is a point where it will peak and subside , by putting yourself through that your brain will join the dots and say, oh ok this situation should not trigger an adrenaline response.
During this, deep breathing and some positive thinking will help get to the point when it peaks and you wont have ran out the door into oncoming traffic in the meantime.
Like i said - read about CBD and panic attacks- you will get your head around it

I had pretty much the same thing after being hung over and not getting enough sleep plus drinking tons of coffee. Instead of coughing and retching I was dizzy and had chest pains.

not to be a jerk but this is easily remedied.. avoid coffee and stimulants,get a good 8hrs every night and don't drink alcohol to excess..

i have family members with anxiety disorders and agoraphobia and they haven't left the house in 7 yrs ...feeling jittery,tired,and hungover is not an anxiety disorder its a lack of sleep and beating the snot out of your body

Best thing to do with panic attacks is to get an understanding of what they are first- this really demystifies them. The best explanations of panic attacks and anxiety comes from cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT). Basically the fight or flight mechanism we all have to survive is identifying certain things as triggers to go into action. This cause adrenaline to be released into the system and hence the feelings you get.

some helpful things to know
this is one of the most treatable things without any need for medication
really important to know that the anxiety builds and makes you feel like you need to run, fight or do something. However when it peaks it then starts to drop again returning to a comfortable state. The body has simply released its dose of adrenalin and then it will stop, other calming chemicals are then released and they do their job, calming you.
Problem is most people have run out the door before this point, this only reinforces the notion that you have to escape the situation to calm down. by knowing that in the situation that triggers the anxiety there is a point where it will peak and subside , by putting yourself through that your brain will join the dots and say, oh ok this situation should not trigger an adrenaline response.
During this, deep breathing and some positive thinking will help get to the point when it peaks and you wont have ran out the door into oncoming traffic in the meantime.
Like i said - read about CBD and panic attacks- you will get your head around it

this is well thought out and written

however the cause of his symptoms is from lack of sleep and intake of stimulants and alcohol.. constant caffeine intake has been shown to change adrenal function and can create a mental addiction ..seems like life choices are in order not meds... drink more water, get more sleep,and lay off the booze IMO

Sounds good, but I own a bar, and on weekends often work 12-16 hour days on the wrong side of daylight then try to be 'normal' by waking up after 3-4 hours sleep and hang with the family on Sundays.

It's not something I plan to do forever, but I tend to need a few shots on weekends to deal with the usual patron dickbaggery, I find getting to sleep as soon as I've knocked off is hard, then waking up hours later to be with the family/girlfriend is also tough, but i find coffee works better than sanctimony.

i know plenty of bartenders and club owners... some are alcoholics and coke addicts and some don't drink at all and live normal lives.... people make their own choices.. make yous for the better.. also hire an assistant to lessen your hours

this is well thought out and written

however the cause of his symptoms is from lack of sleep and intake of stimulants and alcohol.. constant caffeine intake has been shown to change adrenal function and can create a mental addiction ..seems like life choices are in order not meds... drink more water, get more sleep,and lay off the booze IMO
True, i should read all the posts before commenting. As people we need to treat our bodys well to reduce stress, my grandfather gave me great advice many years ago- he said people need routine, 8 hours sleep, 8 hours work and 8 hours play everyday. Unfortunately modern life makes this difficult but it was his mantra and he lived a long productive and healthy life. He had no need for stimulants of any kind, man loved his steak tho!

I used to get them working as an administrator. The job was stressful enough but my medicine for hay fever would put me over the edge. I just couldn't control my breathing and because I had been sent home three times in a row due to them, missed one day due to complications with the anti depressant that I took in order to combat it, I failed probation after four months.

I literally hadn't had anything like it before and thought that I was having heart complications, especially as I had put on a lot of weight.

I've been having them for quite some time but they were bearable. Recently they've been become kinda acute. Lack of breath, dizziness are my most common symptoms. They can happen on a crowded bus or during an argument with a stranger. If you have panic disorder, how do you cope with it or how do you treat it?
I was on medication for Depression and Anxiety for 7yrs straight. Started weening off of them Dec 2014, was completely off of them mid March 2015. Lots of problems.

Anyhow, once the initial physical withdrawals passed (about a month or so). I thought I was in the clear but then started getting panic attacks. They got seriously bad - to the point that I thought I was having a stroke or a heart attack (this was last april/may). Went to my doctor and we talked and options were to go back on the meds or find other ways to cope.

I chose other but I'm still having issues with panic/anxiety attacks but it is getting better. Long slow journey (lots of deep breathing, meditation, training and workouts, time with family, staying away from booze, limiting my caffeine intake, etc.)

i know plenty of bartenders and club owners... some are alcoholics and coke addicts and some don't drink at all and live normal lives.... people make their own choices.. make yous for the better.. also hire an assistant to lessen your hours
I'm not an alcoholic or a coke addict. I have a couple of shots with customers that want to buy me one and a beer and/or a whisky when I finish one of the weekend marathon shifts. Bar margins are pretty tight, despite what the general public think. The whole "just hire managers" idea would mean there would be little to no money left in the business for me to take home. There are also a few bad eggs (which we have had experience with) who skim cash.

I look after myself during the week, dont drink mon-thursday and having the occasional weekend cough after a morning coffee when Im tired isnt the worst thing in the world. Im living the dream Ive had for the last 10 years, im pretty happy with the choices ive made.

i remember my first panic attack when i was at work. it came on out of nowhere and i had to rush outside thinking i was gonna pass out - which i don' know why i thought being outside was a good place to pass out.

reducing stress, at least for me, helped me stop having them. i used to get like 1-2 a month, which kinda freaked me out - i thought maybe i was having stroke symptoms. but i kinda got my head together and learned to relax more and not take life so seriously, and i haven't had a panic attack in a couple of years now.

Go see a psychiatrist, licensed clinical psychologist, or even both. I believe cognitive behavioral therapy has been shown to help with panic disorder.

so "happy" you are having panic attacks? ROFL

They're not panic attacks. It's a cough I get after late nights and coffee that lessen when I breath through my nose and lower my heart rate.

Yes, I could treat myself a little better - I've had this month off drinking booze and coffee and they've lessened, but have still occurred occasionally. I posted in this thread to share one of my ways of dealing with what I occasionally experience in the chance it might help someone who experiences the same thing.

You sound like a dickhead.

Back