Panic attacks

So would you assume preious generations didn't have to deal with that too?

Did I ever say anything about previous generations?

I'm sure it's pretty common.

So would you assume preious generations didn't have to deal with that too?
Ugh this train of thought is always annoying to me. Mental illness has existed since looooooong before we had science. Just because we didn't know what it was or how to deal with it doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I have this issue especially after drinking coffee, being hungover and not having enough sleep where I feel like I need to cough and retch. After getting a raft of tests with nothing conclusive my psychologist ex girlfriend suggested it might be a response to physical anxiety. Whenever I feel it coming on, I just close my eyes and breathe solely through my nose. Works better than anything.

Well, not as well as getting enough sleep and not being hungover.

I have this issue especially after drinking coffee, being hungover and not having enough sleep where I feel like I need to cough and retch. After getting a raft of tests with nothing conclusive my psychologist ex girlfriend suggested it might be a response to physical anxiety. Whenever I feel it coming on, I just close my eyes and breathe solely through my nose. Works better than anything.

I had pretty much the same thing after being hung over and not getting enough sleep plus drinking tons of coffee. Instead of coughing and retching I was dizzy and had chest pains.

Don't suffer from them in general, but I have suffered from severe alcohol withdrawal and that is basically like a constant 48 hour panic attack.

Had one hit me like a ton of bricks one day. From the corners of my field of vision in, everything started going black. Then my breathing got labored and I began to sweat buckets. It felt like my heart was going to seize up.

I eventually got myself settled but for a moment there I thought I was going to drop dead. It was pretty brutal.

Since then I've experienced moments where I'd feel like one might be coming on, but I always manage to quell them before they develop into anything like that first time.

I'm convinced it was a product of being physically worn out and thinking too deeply about some fucked up shit. In response to some news I was reading, I had been imagining getting my head cut off quite vividly when it took place.

Last edited:
Any Sherdoggers experiencing them?
I've been having them for quite some time but they were bearable. Recently they've been become kinda acute. Lack of breath, dizziness are my most common symptoms. They can happen on a crowded bus or during an argument with a stranger. If you have panic disorder, how do you cope with it or how do you treat it?

Face it head on, let it do its worst. Realise it can't hurt you.

I am litterally suffering panic attacks as of now. Its just weird.

I used to get panic attacks regularly. Got some meds. Then I stopped taking it, bc I no longer got them. Now I only get panicky (tho not usually full blown attacks) when something really traumatic happens. Or is about to happen.

I haven't had one in almost a decade but have been getting generalized anxiety recently, most often first thing in the morning. I've got a lot of stressors in my life atm so it's not all that unexpected. The first time I had a full blown panic attack I literally thought I was dying and wound up in the emergency room. If you've never had one before the first couple times can be terrifying.

The breathing exercises that were mentioned do help in the moment. Also, once you've experienced them a few times it gets easier to deal with. You just tell yourself that you know what this feels like, and it's uncomfortable but it will eventually pass.

I was on meds for about 8 years for anxiety and depression and decided to see how I'd do without them about a year and a half ago. I've just kind of learned to live with my symptoms at this point.

Meds can help a lot with anxiety, they're more of a crap shoot with depression. Still, the thing that helps me with anxiety the most is definitely rigorous exercise. I train at my mma gym 3-4 days a week and I never have anxiety the day after a gym day.

On days that I do wake up feeling anxious, I do a short workout as soon as I get out of bed. Just push ups/sit ups and that usually helps.

I'd recommend talking to a professional but telling him/her that you want to exhaust all other options before resorting to meds.

Good luck man, let us know how you're doing. There are a lot of awesome folks here that are more than willing to listen if you ever need to vent or something, myself included.

Maybe you should not drink coffee, stop being hungover and try sleeping. I have the same issues if I do that, it's called life. Thankfully we've not made an acronym out of it.

Maybe you should not drink coffee, stop being hungover and try sleeping. I have the same issues if I do that, it's called life. Thankfully we've not made an acronym out of it.

You, sir, are one of the worst posters on this forum that doesn't contribute to anything.

And, look at your post count. Christ!

You, sir, are one of the worst posters on this forum that doesn't contribute to anything.

And, look at your post count. Christ!

She's right though. The dude even said it's what works best.

She's right though. The dude even said it's what works best.

Maybe spot on with that, but everything else, she/he is a pretty shitty poster. I've been here a while and noticed the garbage that comes in that persons posts.

Maybe spot on with that, but everything else, she/he is a pretty shitty poster. I've been here a while and noticed the garbage that comes in that persons posts.

I've been here for a while too and my opinion of her is the complete opposite. She's in my top 3 favorite posters. But she can be easily misunderstood by some, I have noticed. So maybe you're taking things the wrong way when she posts stuff?

Back