pan-ams

how many of us on this site are doing the pan-ams?bet if we added up the score sherdoggers would win the team title...i'm in the brown weight class and absolute,who else?!!!

What weight class are you? I'm competing brown heavy and absolute.

Im curious how they will run it...for instance some divisions only have like 5 guys so far...will some luck bastard get a by or will it round robin? I noticed that in the past they list 3 & 4 place as 3rd, so they must have two 3rd places if the divisions are small (like 4 guys)?

Im curious how they will run it...for instance some divisions only have like 5 guys so far...will some luck bastard get a by or will it round robin? I noticed that in the past they list 3 & 4 place as 3rd, so they must have two 3rd places if the divisions are small (like 4 guys)?

It's all single elimination unless there are only three in the division, so yes, if there were 7 guys in the division one would get a bye in the first round. If there are only three competitors total in a division it goes like this:

A against B. Loser fights C. Winner of match with C fights the winner of the first match for first and second.

There are always two third place winners unless there are only three competitors. They don't do a match for third and fourth.

I was hoping to get an internet match against batman69 or sherdog mutt, but my back injury is keeping me out of tourneys for a few months I think. Maybe in the Fall. I may go just to support some of my teammates in the blue belt divisions.

haha... I was really hoping to show up and get into a guard pulling showdown with you. In any event, I'm out as well. I can't get my cardio up to snuff with my current asthma problems. Moreover, I think my controller meds are keeping me from losing weight despite diet and exercise. I'll probably be at Pan Ams as well to cheer on my teammates. Look for the tall guy who's wheezing and coughing.

haha... I was really hoping to show up and get into a guard pulling showdown with you. In any event, I'm out as well. I can't get my cardio up to snuff with my current asthma problems. Moreover, I think my controller meds are keeping me from losing weight despite diet and exercise. I'll probably be at Pan Ams as well to cheer on my teammates. Look for the tall guy who's wheezing and coughing.

hell between the three of us it might end up being a test to see who pulls guard first. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

hell between the three of us it might end up being a test to see who pulls guard first. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

If all 3 of us show up, we might as well have our own impromptu guard pulling/butt scooting competition in the warmup area. I think winning this competition would truly be something to be proud of.

I've been training pure wrestling one day a week for the last few months. After a few more months, I may shock the world and unveil a takedown game.

Or am I just trying to play mind games ... you decide ...

hey guys,

new to the forums but i visit here often to read tips and i figure my question would find experienced eyes here. anyways my first tournament ever will be the pan ams, and im flying down from alaska (long way i know).

do they usually let have the competition scale open on the day of competition so fighters can check weight prior to match weigh in?

or is it just 1 weigh in period?

and if you weigh in over are you DQ'd right away or do they give you a time limit, or do you get 1 lb over like mma fights?

any answers would get some of these things off of my mind.

thanks!

hey guys,

new to the forums but i visit here often to read tips and i figure my question would find experienced eyes here. anyways my first tournament ever will be the pan ams, and im flying down from alaska (long way i know).

do they usually let have the competition scale open on the day of competition so fighters can check weight prior to match weigh in?

or is it just 1 weigh in period?

and if you weigh in over are you DQ'd right away or do they give you a time limit, or do you get 1 lb over like mma fights?

any answers would get some of these things off of my mind.

thanks!

there are scales to check your weight. make sure you are at weight or jut below because you will only get one chance once you try and weight in officially. it would really suck to fly all the way down to carson and fail to make weight. good luck.

ok as long as there are scales open prior so i can check my weight. right now im about 3 lbs over w/ the gi on, so im trying to cut about 5 lbs natural if not ill sweat a bit out before just to give me a couple lbs breathing room.

Some more advice: They are totally nazis at the Pan Ams regarding gis, they must be the right size, sufficient looseness, and without illegal patches. Make sure your gi complies or you will have to run around begging for one, like I did.

Most other tourneys they don't give a damn unless you wear something bizarre.

Hey Zankou. What do meean illegal patches? Our house gi, that I use at tournaments is tricked out with patches. I can find it in the rules.

Senior 2 Blue super-pescado

zankou's absolutely right,gi's must fit wrist/ankle requirements and you get one official weigh in before your category starts!!!also, you need an i.d;patches covering the knee or below are a no/no...no rash guards or t-shirts allowed under your jacket...

I've been a gi checker and referee at several different Pan Ams. The reason for the strict gi regulations regarding size, tightness, etc. is so that some people don't wear gis that are so tight that it gives them an unfair advantage.

Additionally, gis and belts have to be good quality and can't be unraveling, have holes, etc.

This is where you can wear patches:

kimono_regra.jpg

source: http://www.ibjjf.org/rules.htm

Hocky is correct regarding tshirts and rashguards under gis. You can't have them - unless you are a woman. No matter how tight your rashguard is, your opponent's hands/fingers can still get tangled up in it when going for a choke, etc.

Also, NO KNEEBARS or figure-four toe holds unless you are a brown or black belt. Every year, purple belts and blue belts get DQ'ed for doing these moves.

If you have other questions, I'll do my best to answer them.

so would the big gameness patch on the knee of my gi needs to be removed?? what about the stripe down each shoulder

Back