Palvik vs Bute?

TheRatman

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
No this fight isn't being talked about but why not. Plavik has stated that he wants to move up to 168, cause he can't make 160 anymore and Bute is waiting around til the Super Six is done. So why don't they fight each other. Who want to see this fight and who do you think wins it.

Bute is a real special talent, I don't count Pavlik out in any fight but I feel Bute's power, hand speed, combinations, and defense all trump Pavlik's

hate to be trendy, but I gotta go with Bute.. the guy impresses me more and more every fight.

Pav has heart though..so it could be good.

I like Pavlik too and he does have Heart, but he's too one-dimensional.

More complete top fighters at 168 with more tools will be too much for him.
Bute would fold his body. I can't see Pavlik seeing the Final bell against Bute.

Nah, Pavlik's going to hit the bottle and fight a few bums before he takes on another top fighter. He'll take a few soft touches at 168 before taking on Bute or a Super Six fighter. Can't blame him though, he just took a whuppin and another loss at this point would probably bump him off HBO.

Actually Bute's management has wanted this fight for a while now. I believe they tried to get pavlik after the second bute-andrade fight if I remember correctly. HBO was also interested in the fight. It's not an accident that Bute-Miranda was televised on the same night as Pavlik-Martinez.

As for the fight, I believe Bute takes it. I like both guys but Bute has more tools, is bigger and Pavlik hasn't looked good against slick boxers recently (hopkins/martinez)

I think Bute overwhelms Palvik and stops him in the mid rounds. I would rather see Palvik fight Andrade, that would be a good scrap at 168 for him

How fortunate for Bute that the rest of the 168 division is on lockdown for almost another year.

Easy pickings for him I say, he'll conviniently move up to 175 once the Super 6 is over with.

I think Pavlik get beats here; I don't want to count him out but I'm not sure he can handle Bute. I've been questioning him a lot lately, He seems to be lacking the Heart when He's down in a fight.

Pavlik may lose that hometown fanbase with another loss. I was looking at articles about him on the local Youngstown news site (Vindy.com) and pretty much all of the comments are negative.

Youngstown News, Pavlik to take summer break

And by November 190 LBS will be nothing but a fond memory because by then he'll be in the heavyweight class around 220.

Kelly is done. He won't win another fight with a prize worth mentioning. Hope he saved what he has made. It's a long life

hes holding out for a woman to fight cas its all he knows,men hit too hard, hua ? kelly !

Just lay off the booze all summer Kelly....

Kelly is done. He was lucky to be boxing when he did. It was all timing. Now that there are legit contenders he will get beat 9 times out of 10. I hope he saved his money. I wish him the best but his reign as a contender is over.

Pavlik is an alcoholic, yes he did great things for youngstown and great things for his career, but i'd have to agree with ytowndem, Jack Loew is a joke of a trainer and Pavlik will NEVER win again under his leadership.... take that 12 million you made Kelly and hire someone worth mentioning!!!! I repeat.... Kelly Pavlik will NEVER win a fight worth mentioning again under Jack Loew's leadership..... taking the summer off Kelly? To do what??? to sit at Pal Joey's with a bunch of UNDERAGE girls and get hammered? If I had the opportunity you do I would be in the gym ALL SUMMER.... take the summer off and say good-bye to boxing!

No this fight isn't being talked about but why not. Plavik has stated that he wants to move up to 168, cause he can't make 160 anymore and Bute is waiting around til the Super Six is done. So why don't they fight each other. Who want to see this fight and who do you think wins it.

I would love this fight. I think it'll be a strong showing from Pavlik but I think he loses to Bute as a late round TKO (cut or something) or the fight goes to decision. Is it just me or is Pavlik really starting to get damaged more and more in the ring? I guess it's to be expected when he walks through punches instead of moving away or blocking them...

This is a horrible matchup from all aspects, I hope they don't sign it He didn't lose to Martinez because of the weight cut, he lost because Martinez is a fast, slick southpaw, and so is Bute. The only difference is that Bute is bigger, has a better body attack and more power.

As somebody else said earlier, Andrade would be the fight for him, or Abraham if he wasn't tied up with the super 6 tourney. Whoever he fights, i wish him the best of luck as he is one of my fav fighters.

By the way, its pretty fucked up that his hometown fans would say that about him. He has some holes in his game for sure, but that doesn't mean he's just some random pussy off the streets.

Last edited by a moderator:
By the way, its pretty fucked up that his hometown fans would say that about him. He has some holes in his game for sure, but that doesn't mean he's just some random pussy off the streets.

I think the ones about Jack Lowe might be right. I think he might have taken Kelly as far as he can and Kelly would be smart to find a top teir trainer now, so he can polish Kelly up some.

I think it's too risky for Bute.
Pavlik is a guy who, with two losses, is viewed by many to be either one-dimensional (therefore useless) or damaged goods.
Most either don't know or don't care about the claims of sickness prior to the Hopkins fight.
And most won't give him credit for actually adjusting pretty well to Martinez prior to the cut that really threw him off of his game.

All that matters is most will still call him one-dimensional or damaged goods.

However, reality and popular opinion can be at odds - he's a live threat to Bute.
If Bute were to lose to Pavlik then that really tarnishes his image at supermiddle.
Popular Opinion: A one-dimensional, slow middle weight who was easily beaten by two boxers just beat (exposed) a supermiddle (Bute) who never really fought a live opponent.

Back