Palhares vs Shields *spoilers*

randomg1t

EVERYTIME CHAMPION
@Gold
Reaction score
i've only seen the finish, wow. palhares is a monstrous fighter, but this is fucking retarded.

It was a nice submission, but yeah, fuck this guy. I don't fault Shields at all for hitting him (especially if what he said about getting eye-poked is true, but frankly, if he got eye-poked by someone on the bottom of his mount multiple times then he's got other shit to worry about).

Not again. Its all up to Okami to beat him now.

shame, shields look to be on track to take the decision that fight, his transitions of legshots strait to sidecontrol are nice.

now for some 20-20 hindchair quarterbacking, i feel like the big thing that holds shields back, or other elite grapplers like him in mma, it not simply deficiencies in stand-up, but the fact that when they 'do' get guys on the ground, they have a hard time putting them away. for one thing, actual talent in and a deep approach to ground and pound seems like a rarity in todays mma. its basically just the team alpha male guys, and gunnar nelson (i suppose you could count weidman too, simply because hes just so talented in general).

more than that though, it seems like theres a lack of a 'mean streak' in many ground fighters, the instinct for seeking out ways to do damage. like that josh barnett vid on riding, rips and pressure are basically zero risk methods to inflict punishment on your opponent while holding position, and without them you are not taking the best advantage of the situation you could be, not being as *efficient*. jakes coach told him position before submission, he got position, didint get submission, and then lost position too. in the end a lot of effort was expended for no pay off. thats the problem with the position vs submission mantra, it sets up a falshe dichotomy in the mind that obscures the vital, additional dynamic of pringing the presh, that ties everything together.

Ridiculous finish. Palhares is such an animal.

Interesting how he suddenly started taking it to Shields in the stand-up wrestling in the final round

I was watching it live, and it felt horrible, but after watching the gifs, it wasnt that bad, he stop putting pressure at some point, and he let go not longer than for example maia did.... here is maia

LargeRegularBlesbok.gif
[/SPOILER]

is maia a dirty fighter too? I know the RNC wont hurt anyone, but its just the reaction time what saying is about the same, neil tapped multiple times and maia only let go when the ref stepped in, and it wasnt like he let go right away.

I think toquinho is just slow.

I was watching it live, and it felt horrible, but after watching the gifs, it wasnt that bad, he stop putting pressure at some point, and he let go not longer than for example maia did.... here is maia

LargeRegularBlesbok.gif
[/SPOILER]

is maia a dirty fighter too? I know the RNC wont hurt anyone, but its just the reaction time what saying is about the same, neil tapped multiple times and maia only let go when the ref stepped in, and it wasnt like he let go right away.

I think toquinho is just slow.

You also gotta remember Murillo Bustamante engrained to not let go of the sub until the ref pulls you off.
Murillo had to sub Matt lindland twice because of a half ass tap.

The fight between Bustamante and Lindland has led to the contest being known as the infamous "double tap" fight. Bustamante had Lindland hooked cleanly in an armbar early in the fight, then released it after what seemed to be a tap, followed by a shout to stop the action by John McCarthy. Lindland claimed it wasn't a tap, which controversially led McCarthy to restart the fight. Many thought that this was a mistake by McCarthy to stop the fight considering it was probably the only way for Lindland to escape the armbar.

maia let go immediately after the ref touched him, and it wasn't late at all. shields was tapping frantically, the ref was also tapping on palhares and pulling his arms.

these bullshit excuses "bustamante taught him that", or the "you hold until the ref stops you" need to stop. palhares had no reason to doubt any of his previous victims because none of them gave him any phantom taps, they all tap like madmen and often scream out. the refs need to jump in his face and still it takes him a second to let go.

what he does isn't normal and it can't be justified, we see tons of submissions in mma and no one has a problem with understanding when their opponent submits... no one except palhares. i gave him the benefit of the doubt the first couple of times it happened, but this has become fucking retarded.

This is obviously a trend with Paul Harris. Personally if he was banned I wouldnt be upset.

maia let go immediately after the ref touched him, and it wasn't late at all. shields was tapping frantically, the ref was also tapping on palhares and pulling his arms.

he did not.

these bullshit excuses "bustamante taught him that", or the "you hold until the ref stops you" need to stop. palhares had no reason to doubt any of his previous victims because none of them gave him any phantom taps, they all tap like madmen and often scream out. the refs need to jump in his face and still it takes him a second to let go.

what he does isn't normal and it can't be justified, we see tons of submissions in mma and no one has a problem with understanding when their opponent submits... no one except palhares. i gave him the benefit of the doubt the first couple of times it happened, but this has become fucking retarded

A LOT of people dont let go, and no one says jack shit about it. Watch mirs vs mino, I just watched it, mir does not let go when mino taps, he keeps cranking it, and breaks his arm, are you going to tell me with a straight face mir didnt know minos arm wasnt about to break? or dislocate at least? but no one said anything, do you think toqunho doesnt have the power to break jakes arm from tht position? I gues it wouldve been better for everyone if he had taken jakes arm home, right? give me a fucking break, easy to talk behind the computer, get in a cage and fight fro the only income you have to support you and your family, then talk about whats honorable and not.

did palhares say that about not feeling the tap after this fight?

he did not.

he lets go literally the instant the ref touches him. magny starts tapping at 2:11, at 2:10 maia already let go. there is virtually no time between dean touching maia and maia letting go.

now i'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but if you are watching the tape (and i am) as you're typing this and still claim that he didn't let go when the ref got in there, then there really is nothing left to debate with you because you are either as blind as a bat, or reaching so hard you might snap.

A LOT of people dont let go, and no one says jack shit about it. Watch mirs vs mino, I just watched it, mir does not let go when mino taps, he keeps cranking it, and breaks his arm, are you going to tell me with a straight face mir didnt know minos arm wasnt about to break? or dislocate at least? but no one said anything

nogueira tapped after his arm snapped. there is literally no debate on this.

mir knew it would break, of course. but if your opponent refuses to tap, you keep cranking it. it broke, nog tapped, ref jumped in, mir let go. you know why no one (including nogueira) said anything? because the broken arm was nogeuira's fault for not tapping. he had plenty of time to submit and refused to do so.

, do you think toqunho doesnt have the power to break jakes arm from tht position? I gues it wouldve been better for everyone if he had taken jakes arm home, right? give me a fucking break, easy to talk behind the computer, get in a cage and fight fro the only income you have to support you and your family, then talk about whats honorable and not.

i think it would've been better for everyone if he let go after the 4th tap on his ass by jake, or perhaps the first time the ref touched him. maybe the second. the ref has to tap like 6 times on him.

so whose arms has werdum broken? maia? jacare? are these guys not subbing people and providing for their families? the shit that's being said in his defense is astounding, are you seriously suggesting that he doesn't cling on to shit for way too long? this is like the 7th time it's happened in his fights.

or are you actually suggesting that everyone does that and we're just picking on palhares because... why? we don't like him? i get goose bumps every time his fights get announced, i must've watched his ADCC run 15 times already, i'm a huge fan of his grappling, but that doesn't mean i'm fucking blind. he is either doing this on purpose, or he is in fact mentally incapable of comprehending when his opponents submit. if he's that "slow", as you put it, he shouldn't be allowed to compete anymore. if it's intentional, he shouldn't be allowed to compete anymore and have his fucking paycheck withheld. perhaps if he doesn't get paid a couple of times he'll learn to let go when he's supposed to in order to provide for his family.

give me a fucking break, easy to talk behind the computer, get in a cage and fight fro the only income you have to support you and your family, then talk about whats honorable and not.

well, it cost him $ and a spot in the UFC so i guess that argument sucks. he keeps it up it might cost him his career then what will his family do??

Paul Harris has a bad rep, and deservedly so. It was obvious to me he cranked the Kimura after the ref was telling him to get off, slapping his back, and finally pulling on his arms. That's not to say nobody's cranked a sub before, but of all people, Paul Harris should know better, but he just doesn't get it. He deserves whatever he gets. One of these days, payback's gonna be a bitch.

what he does isn't normal and it can't be justified, we see tons of submissions in mma and no one has a problem with understanding when their opponent submits... no one except palhares. i gave him the benefit of the doubt the first couple of times it happened, but this has become fucking retarded.

i don't think bustamante taught him those eye gouges. i don't think it's a stretch to say they cost shields the fight. he was much more distracted and gunshy coming out for the third round, which led to the sloppy takedown that allowed palhares to lock up the kimura counter. i'm surprised shields didn't start headbutting him when those gouges were going on, instead of appealing to the ref.

i don't think bustamante taught him those eye gouges. i don't think it's a stretch to say they cost shields the fight. he was much more distracted and gunshy coming out for the third round, which led to the sloppy takedown that allowed palhares to lock up the kimura counter. i'm surprised shields didn't start headbutting him when those gouges were going on, instead of appealing to the ref.

he did not headbutt him, he insted proceeded to chin in the eye. He was gassed in the third and getting his ass kicked around standing up, thats what lead him to sloppy tds, although none of those sloppy tds cost hm the fight, because he was in side control when he got reversed with the kimura.

Back