Palhares never cranked imo. It was the ref pushing him backward.

Do I think Palhares should be cut? No. Do I think he held it to long and the guy is a bumbling idiot? Yes. I think he should get a suspension and a DQ from the last fight. I guess I can understand Dana not wanting to take any more chances with this guy though.

Yeah, he's cranking that hard.

You can see his entire body pulsing and flexing as he's pulling back on the leg despite both Pierce and the ref himself still trying to intervene. It happened quick, but it's all there for anyone to see.

The ref was laying on both of them.. and he cranked once more.

where is the controversy -- he held it too long/even cranked one extra time.

Sometimes I wonder if any of you are real human beings or just aliens sent to Earth in order to frustrate regular humans with inane comments.

It's a joke.

Rousimar did NOTHING WRONG

It's the referees job to STOP THE FIGHT. He didn't do a good enough job of stopping the fight

I KNOW RIGHT? IT'S LIKE HOW COULD A SUBMISSION ARTIST KNOW THE FIGHT WAS OVER WITH PIERCE TAPPING AND THE REFEREE ON TOP OF HIM? THEY SHOULD HAVE CREATED A SECRET HANDSHAKE. :eek:

You don't let go until the ref stops it. Sorry, but every fighter knows the risk when they sign the contract.

YA, GOOD THING HE LET GO WHEN THE REF STOPPED IT:eek:

Last edited:
Paul cranked. Don't think he should have been cut though.

He cranked it after he felt the tap. Good try!

It doesn't stop at the tap. It stops when the ref stops it. I guess you want a bunch of Sonnens and Lindlands going around fake tapping.

Yeah, I mention somewhere in this thread about thinking Bustamante being a huge part of why he subs the way he does and about his never really reprimanding him. This was his first fight with Team Nog and was hoping they'd give Team Nog a shot at changing him but obviously it's past that point now.

My money would be on Murillo being a big part of why he does it.

Originally Posted by Cazador

I was going to make a thread about it, but might as well give my take on this situation in yours.

The guys trains at BTT, Murillo Bustamante took him under his wing when he was living on the streets.

If I remember correctly, Brazillian Top Team during Bustamante's run had some bad experiences with fighters fake tapping, I think it was against Team Quest members (Lindland and Henderson, not sure though), so after those events it could be something that he taught him: Do not let go of the hold until you clearly see the ref stepping in.

Another thing that might have played a factor into this was his fight against Miller, when he thought the fight was over and it wasn't, almost costing him the fight when he got rocked by Dan in that round.

At the end of the day what's done it's done, he's cut and there's nothing that we can do about it, but IMHO it was too much, a fine/suspension and a meeting with him and his trainer would've been enough, but that's just my opinion.

Good post.

I'm not sure whether he intentionally cranked it or not. I don't think it's really conclusive either way. he should have let up as soon as Pierce started tapping that's what most fighters do and especially since he should have known he was on thin ice.

I dont think it was that bad.....Pierce tapped twice, ref came in and there as a second or so. Little too harsh a pentalty. I have seen plenty of subs in the UFC just like that one, and nothing was done.

It doesn't stop at the tap. It stops when the ref stops it. I guess you want a bunch of Sonnens and Lindlands going around fake tapping.

Well, he didn't stop when the ref stopped it. What exactly is your point? :rolleyes:

Please notice the number of times Pierce taps. He does it the first time, vehemently, as soon as he hits the ground.
Sorry, but Palhares was way out of line.
The job was done, no need to inflict extra harm on a fellow fighter.

I agree... He's been warned/fined before, too and to me it feels like he's just gonna keep doing it. I will seriously miss his talent in the UFC, but he brought this upon himself.

What's amazing is how many people base their argument on this supposed "second crank." Turns out it never happened.

He cranked it after the ref stopped it. I guess if you try hard enough you will convince yourself and there are limitless fools here on Sherdog willing to follow the fool (or troll).

But no lol, Paul messed up and he's rightly paying the price.

What's amazing is how many people base their argument on this supposed "second crank." Turns out it never happened.

It is literally right there in the gif, his entire body tenses up when the ref jumps in and you can see him cranking on the ankle.

Are you looking at another gif? The one in the OP shows no such thing

814119262.gif

If you can't see it here, after the ref dives right in, then idk what to say to you.
(no the ref is not pushing it, watch palhares)

814119262.gif

If you can't see it here, after the ref dives right in, then idk what to say to you.
(no the ref is not pushing it, watch palhares)

I agree that he cranks it a bit more, but I can't say definitively that he wasn't in the process of doing that before he felt the ref intervening. It was around a second after the ref intervenes that he lets it go, there was no frantic or multiple attempts to pull him off. The only reason this looks bad to most people is because pierce is screaming and tapping for a second or two before the ref stops it(which you don't release the sub)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back