Palhares is your prototypical "Step-up" in competition.

BooHD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So like the title says i feel like Palhares is a perfect "step-up" in competition for middleweights. He is on an 0-2 skid but everyone knows damn well that he will severely hurt any non contender. Do you guys think he is a gate keeper or one up?

I think he's a gatekeeper.

His leglock game is very dangerous but the guys who can counter it will beat him easy as he really has nothing else.

So like the title says i feel like Palhares is a perfect "step-up" in competition for middleweights. He is on an 0-2 skid but everyone knows damn well that he will severely hurt any non contender. Do you guys think he is a gate keeper or one up?

He could be cut now, and nobody would be able to complain.

Still, I think Dana would be smarter if he fed Paul Harris some undercard fighters. He will rip knees again and people will be happy.

I'm not even sure he qualifies for gatekeeper status. He has good leglocks, that's it.

I'm not even sure he qualifies for gatekeeper status. He has good leglocks, that's it.

I actually think Palhares has a pretty good all around offensive game with good wrestling, competant Muay Thai and obviously the Jitz. I just think that defensively, he can be compared to someone like Sokuodjou.

Id rather fight Anderson Silva. Palhares is a killer.

he looks cool and like a villain. but he isnt as well rounded as the top guys. i wouldnt complain either way... unless i had a few more beers and wanted to rant on sherdog.

People know what he does and there is little to no variation. Not hard to plan for.

So gatekeeper.

Palhares is a very good fighter. Lombard is just a terrible matchup for him.

He needs to keep working his takedowns cause he really hates getting hit

His all-around grappling game is excellent. You don't go as far as he did in ADCC if it isn't.

I think he's a gatekeeper.

His leglock game is very dangerous but the guys who can counter it will beat him easy as he really has nothing else.

Watch the fight with Dan Miller again.
It's not that simple.

PS: don't make jokes about his premature celebration

Watch the fight with Dan Miller again.
It's not that simple.

PS: don't make jokes about his premature celebration

Because Dan Miller is the type of fighter who'll be able to take advantage of the fact Paul won't be able to sub him?

Miller's a weak wrestler/striker with great sub defense and good sub offense. While he can stifle Paul's sub game, he lacks the tools in the other areas to take advantage.

Well, he will seriously injure any non-contender and loses to every top 10 fighter he faces. He`s a brutal kind of gatekeeper.

Back