palhares is a fighter you tune in for

NL MMA

Blue Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never a snooze fest

Always for the kill (or be killed)

Dana cut One of My favorite fighters, and the most brutal submission guy out there

Let the guy work on his problems and bring him back after a year.

Let's hope they cut him just to scare him but will bring him back in two weeks

I think cutting him was a little harsh, but what he did was absolutely unacceptable. He looked down and saw the ref trying to stop the fight and cranked as hard as he could one more time anyway. That means either he is so stupid he didn't understand what was going on, or he's just a jerk who was trying to fuck up Pierce's knee to send a message.

I think taking SOTN away and telling him if it ever happened again he'd be cut would have been enough, but I understand Dana's decision.

We all know it's a bunch of bs. In the heat of the moment while you're trying your heart out to tap someone... you aren't going to immediately let go. If you're a professional fighter where your opponents are trying to use submissions against you, expect to stay in one a little longer than expected. No knees to grounded opponents, no 12 to 6 o'clock elbows, dont hold a sub longer than 1 second after the guy taps or you get kicked out of the UFC. Theres big risks with big money in the fight game. One of those risks is that Palhares might heel hook you. Anyway.. Dana is showing just how much control he has over the sport at this point. Cutting Okami and now this. Guy needs to be relieved of his duties. I think he might be on the Rampage diet.

I think cutting him was a little harsh, but what he did was absolutely unacceptable. He looked down and saw the ref trying to stop the fight and cranked as hard as he could one more time anyway.

no he did not. the ref pushed him that way.

We all know it's a bunch of bs. In the heat of the moment while you're trying your heart out to tap someone... you aren't going to immediately let go. If you're a professional fighter where your opponents are trying to use submissions against you, expect to stay in one a little longer than expected. No knees to grounded opponents, no 12 to 6 o'clock elbows, dont hold a sub longer than 1 second after the guy taps or you get kicked out of the UFC. Theres big risks with big money in the fight game. One of those risks is that Palhares might heel hook you. Anyway.. Dana is showing just how much control he has over the sport at this point. Cutting Okami and now this. Guy needs to be relieved of his duties. I think he might be on the Rampage diet.

Stop trying to rationalize what Palhares did. When the ref stops the fight, you release whatever hold you have or stop raining down blows on your opponent. It is as simple as that. This isn't the first time Palhares has done this - and to blame it on the heat of the moment is an affront to the band Asia. Palhares knew what he was doing, and in that extra time, he could have done serious damage to Pierce. So yeah, you're dead wrong. Have a great day though!!

This is the fourth time Palhares has done something like this in an MMA fight and the second time in the UFC. Every other fighter seems to be able to let go when the ref stops the fight, but Palhares is not. This is not an isolated incident. I would have given him one more chance but I understand why they didn't.

no he did not. the ref pushed him that way.

Sure looks like it to me:
I9lO.gif

Sure, he is. GIF's of people breaking limbs, being killed in car accidents are hugely popular as well.

Stop trying to rationalize what Palhares did. When the ref stops the fight, you release whatever hold you have or stop raining down blows on your opponent. It is as simple as that. This isn't the first time Palhares has done this - and to blame it on the heat of the moment is an affront to the band Asia. Palhares knew what he was doing, and in that extra time, he could have done serious damage to Pierce. So yeah, you're dead wrong. Have a great day though!!

I'm sorry I can't give you examples, but there have been times where I've seen the ref step in to stop a fight and the fighter thinks that as well, and basically gives up ending the fight. Those guys go out there knowing if it goes to a decision they really don't know which way its going to go. So when the opportunity arises for a finish, these guys really go. He let go, he didn't sit there and hold it like Babalu. If you want to see someone purposely hold a sub.. go watch Babalu's last fight in the UFC. This wasn't the case hear. Palhares seems like a respectful guy and I highly doubt he would purposely try to hold a heel hook longer than needed. Also I've seen Palhares do what you're claiming many times. Nobody has instant reflexes to let go, if I fought id be letting go when the ref pulled me off.. I'm not gonna ease up for one second and then let the guy get free because I was too focused on what the ref is doing. Those guys have tunnel vision when they're in that position. Understand that. They don't see everything going on around them like they normally would when sprinting for the finish. Palhares holds his submissions slightly longer than other people to make sure he won, big deal?

It sucks that he had to be cut. He subs can be pretty exciting.

But the UFC were forced to cut him, and Palhares caused it.

Never a snooze fest

Always for the kill (or be killed)

Dana cut One of My favorite fighters, and the most brutal submission guy out there

Let the guy work on his problems and bring him back after a year.

His fights are crowd pleasers, so most likely, they will bring him back.

This. And Palhares is the only one who does that too. The sanction is justified.

No, not really ts

I had to re-read the the Asia reference...then I lol'd But Rousimar deserved wgat he got. His track record fordoing this is well known. I wonder how many training partners' knees he's ruined.

I liked watching Palhares fight because he was so dangerous with his leg locks. However, this was not the first time he held the joint-lock too long. Palhares had a long history of bad behavior and fighter safety is supposed to be a priority. The UFC has rules, I'm sure they talked at length with Palhares after the Drwal fight. Palhares was also previously punished for PEDs. There are consequences to your actions. He deserved to lose his contract and Palhares can go fight for a different league if he so chooses. Buh-Bye...

Back