Palhares has a learning disability of some kind. What is it?

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by MATT DAMON, Aug 2, 2015.

1. MATT DAMON

MATT DAMON Blue Belt

It seems Palhares does not understand what the referees are telling him, and it also seems like he only communicates using simple hang gestures.

Anyone ever try and diagnose his personal problems?

2. RTL

RTL NostraMMAus™ Platinum Member

I think this is evident too.

Considering how many times he's been warned/reprimanded for holding onto a submission for far too long, yet still continues to do it, there has to be a mental disconnect there.

There's that one post-fight celebration from a UFC fight several years ago where he runs to celebrate, stops and gets confused, then returns to celebrating.

3. mime

mime Black Belt

i think you mean the Dan Miller fight right? he thought the ref stopped it, climbed onto the cage, celebrated then the ref waved him back, the fight palhares almost get knocked out but then finishes it

4. Tentacle

Tentacle Purple Belt

I don't know if this would be considered fighter bashing but since I will argue for it and considering what happend I hope it is okey.

Is Palhares really a violent person? Well, obviously he is a cage fighter but he doesn't seem to be aggressive in the way Lombard can be outside the cage. Honestly I think he is very unintelligent in combination with an inability to be mentally present in the fight. He obviously is present in the sense that he makes logical grappling maneuvers but he isn't "there" in the sense that he really understands what is happening. He always seem surprised when someone is tapping and he isn't letting go. He often don't yank the limb more but freezes with a "what is happening look on his face".

5. Kick Strickland

Kick Strickland Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

I don't care if it is a learning disability. I mean, I hate it if it is and that sucks and all, but still...that motherfucker shouldn't be allowed to fight. I want somebody to tear his fucking knee apart so bad.

6. Kick Strickland

Whatever the cause, NOBODY should let that piece of shit fight in their org EVER again.

7. Gaza420

Gaza420 Orange Belt

Honestly He seems like he has some sort of mental disability, Probably why he has the strength to pull out a submission out of nowhere.

8. livsm

livsm White Belt

He's like Rain Man. But with submissions instead of numbers

9. Kick Strickland

He's a wild jungle gorilla that somebody thought was a good idea to teach jiu-jitsu to.

10. orndorff

orndorff Orange Belt

Awesome. Too funny

11. INTERL0PER

INTERL0PER Brown Belt

He certainly seems... Simple.

Whether he's just a bit thick, or if it's a learning disability, something on the autistic spectrum, whatever it is, it's a liability in fights and he should no longer be licensed to fight, IMO.

He clearly does not have the ability to fully control himself in there. It's unfortunate because he's an incredible grappler, but at this point any promoter willing to book him is knowingly putting his opponents at risk. There is no other fighter that seems to have this much trouble letting go of subs, especially after so many warnings.

Yes, it's easy to get lost in the moment, but as a pro fighter you don't get to use that excuse. Part of the job is maintaining mental focus and being in control of your "weapons". Palhares clearly struggles with this and he's had more than enough time to fix the problem.

He can't be trusted and should no longer be fighting IMO.

12. ill0giKaL

ill0giKaL Brown Belt

Yes, all the more reason to root against him. Still his subs are a threat to ANYONE, so it'd still be risky buisness, I'm not saying it would happen but imagine him catching Yoel in a leg lock or heel hook and not letting go.... I'd just rather him get the hammer aswell

13. DougGuntMMA

DougGuntMMA Orange Belt

Someone call the whaaaaambulance

14. MATT DAMON

MATT DAMON Blue Belt

Yeah, I'm really confused with this guy. He gets warned over, and over, but still doesn't listen. Ref tells him about the eye-pokes, and eye-gauging, and still continues to do it. There's something really wrong with him. I don't know what it could be, nor can I begin to think of why Palhares is the way he is.

Truly a weird guy. I'm surprised the Sherdog Psychologists have not psycho-analyzed his behavior, and character for entertaining reading.

15. King of Fists

King of Fists Mobile Platinum Member

I think he's a breath of fresh air. Reminds me of the nhb days when cage fighting was more gladiator combat and less reebok-sponsored sport. Fights seemed more epic back then

16. rv5869

rv5869 Yellow Belt

Very nice sub on a very good grappler. When training does anyone know if he let's go or holds onto subs?

17. rac2

rac2 Black Belt

could you be more butthurt?

18. warriorfan808

warriorfan808 Black Belt

I think he needs to go through a psychological evaluation and only allowed to continue if given the OK.

19. Kick Strickland

What! NO. He's already had chance after chance after chance. THIS shit is why he got kicked out of the ufc! I don't care if he really doesn't realize he's doing this or not....he shouldn't be allowed to compete anymore.

Way I see it, it's 1 of 2 things:

1. He simply cannot stop himself from cranking these subs after his opponent taps -- shouldn't be allowed to compete

or

2. He willfully is cranking these subs because he enjoys hurting people even if they tap -- shouldn't be allowed to compete

Last edited: Aug 3, 2015
  20. Haloom

Haloom Blue Belt

I would say it's possible that he has a mild intellectual disability (IQ between 55 and 70). I wouldn't think it would be moderate, and certainly not severe or profound. I don't see anything autistic about his behaviours.

Don't want to demonise the intellectually disabled, nothing about them makes them inherently violent or dangerous.

FYI I have a psychology degree, am currently doing my registration and have worked in a psychological role with children for 4 years.