Palhares Fails PED Testing

Zankou

Bringing peace and love
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Reported on the UG.

This will surely shock the nation. Surprised no threads about it yet.

Rousimar-Palhares-.gif

Saw some mention of it on the Latest Threads side bar from the heavies.

Can't say I'm too surprised.

Sad though.

I'm sure his teammate told him it was something to cut weight and he didn't really know what those injections were for.

There are a lot of threads about it in the UFC section, and they didn't say he failed for PEDs. They said he had elevated testosterone levels, but something doesn't seem right with that report either because they don't check testosterone levels unless somebody has a TUE for some medicine that contains testosterone.

Palhares rubs me the wrong way... There's no doubt he's a skilled grappler but I just don't like that his game plan is to attack the legs in such a way that the results could possibly end someone's career, not to mention he's doing this while taking banned substances... He's just to vicious for me. I mean if someone taps while youre twisting their leg, LET GO!

And I don't believe for a second that he has anything close to the levels required for TUE... Just look at the guy

There are a lot of threads about it in the UFC section, and they didn't say he failed for PEDs. They said he had elevated testosterone levels, but something doesn't seem right with that report either because they don't check testosterone levels unless somebody has a TUE for some medicine that contains testosterone.

They check testosterone levels because they check the natural/synthetic test ratio. You can't check the ratio without checking levels.

And test IS a PED.

well they seem to test for t:e ratio no matter what. "elevated testosterone" just means the t:e ratio is more than 6:1.

Hey everyone! I just heard that comediane Ellen DeGeneres is gay! Yeah. I couldn't believe it either!

God help me, but I really did believe he might be clean.

There goes the last of my youthful innocence.

This does it. First Overeem, now Palhares. Is there ANYONE in this sport who isn't a PED user?! :wink:

They check testosterone levels because they check the natural/synthetic test ratio. You can't check the ratio without checking levels.

And test IS a PED.

actually it does check ratios without checking level. You can't check levels in the urine which is what they use. If you don't believe me, do a little research on the T/E testing.

well they seem to test for t:e ratio no matter what. "elevated testosterone" just means the t:e ratio is more than 6:1.

thats a big mis-conception. High T/E ratio doesn't mean elevated testosterone. You can actually have a high T/E and have a very low testosterone level.

thats a big mis-conception. High T/E ratio doesn't mean elevated testosterone. You can actually have a high T/E and have a very low testosterone level.

Ah, that's true. Thanks for reminding me. On the other hand, isn't it true that high T/E ratio means you've been doping, and thus the chance that you would have a low overall testosterone level is extremely low? Because, you know, of the doping?

I have no doubt that when you *stop* doping your testosterone levels crash below normal because, well, that's what happens when you dope. I guess maybe that's what you are saying. I would be interested to know if lots of guys with high T/E levels also test low for testosterone when they are cycling off the gear, causing low test levels because the dope is cut off, but they still have high T/E levels in their metabolites.

Ah, that's true. Thanks for reminding me. On the other hand, isn't it true that high T/E ratio means you've been doping, and thus the chance that you would have a low overall testosterone level is extremely low? Because, you know, of the doping?

Yes. It would be extremely rare for anyone to have a T:E ratio of 3:1, let alone what the NSAC and others let athletes get away with. Having low testosterone generally produces a T:E ratio of 1:1, just like normal T does.

I have no doubt that when you *stop* doping your testosterone levels crash below normal because, well, that's what happens when you dope. I guess maybe that's what you are saying. I would be interested to know if lots of guys with high T/E levels also test low for testosterone when they are cycling off the gear, causing low test levels because the dope is cut off, but they still have high T/E levels in their metabolites.

They wouldn't piss hot because literally as soon as their T drops into the highest end of the normal range, the T:E ratio is close enough to being normalized that they would be fine. All a fighter has to do is stop taking testosterone a few weeks out and they will piss clean almost 100% of the time. That's why lots of fighters choose testosterone over sexier, more costly designer drugs that Olympic athletes have to use to avoid pissing hot.

Read a little more about it. It seems they test both t/e ratio, but also measure total epitestosterone levels in the urine (in order to determine if you have been taking e as a masking agent to normalize the t/e ratio).

So theoretically a high e level measured in the urine, combined with a high t/e ratio, is inherently going to mean high testosterone levels. Or at least it means unusually high levels of t and e measured in the urine.

And here I thought he got that muscular, even though said he barely had food to eat, by just doing bjj. :/

Back