Palhares And Jiu jitsu.!

Discussion in 'Worldwide MMA Discussion' started by Rav7n, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

I have done gracie jui jitsu and got to the level i am, and im over 40, so ive done it for a while ,well yes for the most part under lucio 'lagarto' rodriguez at gracie barra northwest (UK), then at the farm in Preston and somewhat ive trained at braulio estima's place.Amongst others..

Ive met quite a few folks who i now call friends along the way, and had a great time doing it..

But one thing in this community world wide, there is a etiquette there is a honor, there is a respect for who ever you roll with sparring or full on.

Even more so for the brazilians.
    Its like a unwritten law.

It seems that Palhares has absolute disrgard for this respect.
    I know Its a completely different game MMA, but he has come from a BJJ background.

His utter disrespect and the fact he seems to like to hurt a opponent, coming from his background is staggering .

Its absolutely shameful ..i know this much, if someone had done that when lagarto was around he would have killed them..

not feeling the tap is BS, that is a sinister streak that man has, trying to injure another, no matter what, it goes beyond the realms of competition and decency and respect..

He has no place in mma or bjj competition and should be thrown out..

2. Kwic

Kwic Black Belt

But was a beautiful sub or not? Of course it was ;)
    Jake talking SHIT before the fight didn't help him. Now where was his respect?

3. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I dont agree with you, I havent done bjj under any fancy names, I am not over 40, but Ive been doing this quite some time, Ive seen way worst at local tournaments, and in mma you dont let go when you feel the tap, in mma the guy you are fightng is trying to take your head off, in mma you ar fighting for your job, and you are only as good as your last fight. Sorry, in mma you dont let go till the ref tells you to, period.

4. IngaVovchanchyn

IngaVovchanchyn Titanium Belt Platinum Member

Ironically, in MMA Palhares lost his job by acting according to your advice. Had he made a habit of letting go of subs or at least relaxing them when his opponents tap, he would still be in the UFC.

5. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

His fights in adcc are brilliant, i take nothing away from his skills, he is one of the best in the world at bjj. But in mma and to answer BJJ RAGE and what he wrote, Sure its a different game, i said that in my post and your trying to inflict as much damage as poss to win the fight, UNTIL THE REF SAYS STOP...The fucking ref was dragging him off while he still had it lock in..

there was heat between them and he tried to break sheilds arm, lets have it right..

and its a lack of class a lack of respect and pretty fucked up imo.
    and he has had a bit of a record for hurting people..

he could end a career, in a heartbeat, he is brilliant at bjj, but if he ended sheild career, over a bit of a beef, thats like stealing a plumbers tools. and taking food from the table..

6. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

I said you dont let go untill the ref tells you to, I didnt say you dont let go till the ref has to pull you off. Different things. Toquinho did make a couple of horrible decisions in the UFC, but the one that costed him his job was not.

And is not my advice, that advice is coming straight up from murilo bustamante, its well known its a btt thing.

7. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

after all the shit shields talked, you know damn well he couldve broke jakes arm/shoulder with that kimura, he has more than enough power to do it, he chose not to.

8. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

yep, this much is certain.

maybe i have all wrong and he should have just gone fro the break, and its all part of fighting..

but sheilds looked pretty unhappy, and the ref was dragging him off..

9. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

thats what im saying, look if youa re going to get in a cage with a savage like toquinho, you may want to lay down the trash talk, specially since he is not the smartest guy in the world, but no jake had to do the diaz thng, well he asked for it, he got it, and he got for cheap, if toquinho had ripped jakes arm in once a la mir, no one would be saying jack shit now, but he chose not to, did he apply pressure? hell yeah, but it was a controlled pressure. Im more thatn sure jake wouldnt think twice to knee the fuck out of his face looking to inflict as much damage as he could with a strike.

10. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

to be absolutely frank with you, i didn't know about the shit sheild has said before the fight, i saw the headline here (sherdog), then watched it.
    so yes i absolutely agree, in hindsight, he absolutely has the strength to take it home with him..

it seemed malicious to me, and ive always been taught that, it should never play a part, but i guess im looking at it from the straight up BJJ side of things, fucked if i'd climb into a cage, even in my prime.

so maybe i do have it wrong, but there seems to be plenty of fallout from others regarding his actions, maybe if we could get a view from a pro, that would put a relative slant on things.?

11. BJJ_Rage

BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

toquinho has issues, I wont deny that, but people make it worst due to his past. I just went and rewatched mirs kimuro to mino, he broke that arm, he knew that arm wasnt going anywhere, he still cranked a bit too much, gone arm, he did not let go when mino tapped either, nor did inmediately go after the ref jumped in, yet no one said jack shit about mir, but some MIR is some type of destroying machine, which is a compliment to him, but not to toquinho. I just posted a maias gif from yesterday at night, he did not let go the choke when neil tapped either in multiple occasions, only when the ref stepped in, I know, its no the same, but what im saying is that pro fighters are focus on finished the fight first, then worry about how long it takes to let go the sub. It just happens that it takes toquinho a little bit more than normal to react seems like.

12. Jack Handy jr

Jack Handy jr Silver Belt

Completely agree with your assessment of him.The guy seems legit off kilter.

I too have had the chance to train and roll with very high level grapplers and the only guy I took pause in training with was War machine. For the exact same reasons you mentioned about Palhares. I didn't know if I trusted the guy to not hurt me if he got a sub locked in. Add to that like Palhares he was roided to the gills.

As a hobbyist now I would Never train with Palhares.

1. If he does go too rough you'd be hard pressed to try and kick his ass. not impossible. But that too would turn out badly in all likely hood.

2.And I'm not fighter bashing. but imho the guy is mentally unstable. in my line of work I've seen that look in too many crazy mofo's eyes not to recognize it in Palhares. it's like a combo of the "thousand yard stare" mixed with "I'm off my meds"

3.It's a shame a guy with Rousimar's grappling talent/abilities doesn't even need to be that way.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  13. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

Mir has broke multiple arms. Hendo dove punched an unconscious man. Rampage v older wand. Where is the hate? Has Palhares ever actually damaged a guy terribly in a fight? I like guys not forgetting how these submissions actually work.. You see a lot of guys not tapping to arm bars these days, because the other guy is trained not to break the arm, but just make it uncomfortable. Same with some other subs you see guys thinking they don't have to tap to. Shields talked his crap before the fight, that was HIS mistake. His real downfall is having zero standup, Palhares was knocking his azz around that round.

14. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

neither nog nor sylvias arm breaks were at all due to any wrong doing by mir.

hendos punch on bisping was excessive but was 100% within the rules as the fight had not been stopped.

there was plenty of hate for quintons extra punch(es) on wanderlei in the third fight, from myself included.

yes, palhares has injured multiple legs in a fight. i cant recall with 100% clarity, but i do believe at least one of them was a debatably late release.

15. KSchwarz

KSchwarz Purple Belt

When he fought Miller in UFC, he stopped BEFORE ref interruped the fight. And he did similar against Marquardt.

I think he really got some kind of mental blockage. Of course, it makes him a danger to his opponents in the cage, but I don't think he's a dirty guy.

Unless if you're going to claim he risked losing those two fights (and in fact, he lost the latter) to create an alibi in order to make people think he's retarded and keep crippling his opponents in peace.

16. TobikanJudan94

TobikanJudan94 Never be game over

Drwal,Pierce and Fitch have all been injured by Palhares "1 second"

17. Rav7n

Rav7n Black Belt

well i can't say i felt too good about what hendo did to bisping, like the rest of sherdog that loves it.

The mir breaks, are kinda legit, i know it seems stupid and splitting hairs, but he had the kimura locked in, and if i remember with nog, they rolled and then he pushed it and it broke, and not once ..due to his fucking toughness did nog tap.

i can't remember how it went with timmy, but trust me its not that hard..
    Ive always liked a simple key lock from the mount, its bjj 101, but you can pop a elbow for fun..(if you wanted too)..

ive had my fair sahir of things happen, but never even remotely close to a bad injury.
    Ive woke up from what was a baseball bat choke via the gi, and ive woke up from a ezekiel , lol two very similar choke, i must have been a sucker for them..
    but i never saw them coming and never even had time to tap, i was out.. thats it..

But most times well all the time in sparring, ive never known anyone hurt anyone permanently.
    palhares seems to be dumb as a tree stump, and goes that bit too far..

i mean fuck me, do you remember the heat that babalu got..

18. Amerikuracana

Amerikuracana Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

It's fighting for money. We watch to see who is the best at hurting other people. That's the sport. Football: getting a ball of sorts over an invisible line. Basketball: throwing a ball through a hoop. MMA: effectively hurting another person until they are incapacitated in some way. I just don't get surprised when somebody sustains a non life threatening injury. I mean, guys who are atriking experts are trying to ram their knee through some bodies skull.. That's more dangerous than what Palhares does, tbh.

19. BJ@LW&WW

[email protected]&WW Gold Belt

actually nog did tap, tough it was well after the break

20. machidafan99

machidafan99 Silver Belt

It was the eye gouges, blatant and repeated...BJJ has no defense for that