Painful fingers

Poseidon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I seem to have a tendency of spraining fingers when rolling. This made me really look and concentrate on technique but alas; two fingers at the knuckle joint (Metacarpophalangeal joint) a couple of days after rolling I can really feel them. No pain during training though.

This is obviously really starting to piss me of as they take an age to heal.

Has anyone else experienced this? would appreciate any advice guys.

1) dump your hands into ice water after training

2) learn how to tape your fingers.

Are you doing gi? I've heard about all these "grips", as they call them. In no gi, I don't ever have any finger issues. Maybe try doing no gi for a while

that's just all the pussy working itself out.

hang in there dude. you'll get your man hands soon.

Thanks; it's no gi. I should try the icing stuff.

Try taping while rolling. Also try hand stretches and finger stretches. You might also want to have your instructor check your technique to make sure you are not doing something clearly off, especially during take downs.

What exactly happened that sprained your fingers? Maybe if you explained what happened someone can think of a way you should have prevented it, something you were doing wrong

Try checking your grips.
Go with pistol grip over cats paw. You may have to work just using a monkey grip for awhile.

Clock chokes and ezekiels can prompt bad fingers. Tape and icing may help.

It's like turf toe and every other mat injury. You may have to live with it, quit or cope. Good luck.

sprain when it's your fingers or toes is not so bad

when you start having problems with shoulders, knees, spine, then you can worry.

Back