Pain management for the back

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Valhoven, Aug 3, 2016.

1. Valhoven

Valhoven Errands ❦f quarter Staff Member Senior Moderator

I know we are all 6’4 jacked White boys here carrying 280 lbs. of invincible muscle, but sometimes even jacked White boys get back pain.

For any of my Sherbrothers who are suffering from back pain and either haven’t seen success with or don’t have funds to seek out more expensive therapeutic solutions, I wanted to recommend any nail-bed technology that you use in-home.

I've been having pain in my lower back (lumbar) for a few weeks and wake up pretty stiff in the mornings (Get your minds out of the gutter - I know you bozos).

Been feeling great lately however and haven’t changed anything stretch-wise or whatnot other than lying daily on a nail bed. It opens my back up and sends a pulse or blood-flow throughout; I'd call it a de-stressor as well.

In English language, I reckon it is called a tension mat or nail pad, but we call it piikkimattoja. This is the general idea of what I have been using:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It hurts a bit at first if I’m being honest but every day, guys, 10-20 minutes depending on your pain threshold and schedule.

Just wanted to throw that out there if any of my Sherbros are having back stiffness or pain and need relief.

Cheers.

2. PUO3

PUO3 You are a can. Staff Member Senior Moderator

I like my Rumble Roller. It can be pretty brutal but night and day difference afterwards.

ASUThermo and Valhoven like this.
  3. cabal

cabal Brown Belt

what it the usefulness or this thing? Pain comes from a bulging disk, in which way the nail carpet should help?!

4. Valhoven

Don't know the science behind it (@PUO3?) but it stimulates the body in its own small way to get on track and heal itself. It obviously isn't going to substitute for a chiropractor but does get the blood flowing into places that maybe otherwise are shut off from which.

I looked up the principle behind the mats and in English it is called acupressure. Here, mate:

(In English)

http://bedofnails.org/about-acupressure-mats/

5. selfcritical

selfcritical Brown Belt

Pain soooort of is caused by the bulging disc.

Lots of people with bulging or slipped discs have no chronic pain
    Lots of people with no bulging or slipped discs have chronic pain

The physical dysfunction is related to the pain, but doesn't directly cause it, so lots of things that don't cause the physical dysfunction to go away may effect the pain negatively or positively. No idea about this particular treatment. I basically never have back pain, so i haven't looked into it toooooooo much

Valhoven and Badger67 like this.
  6. macklin

macklin White Belt

People at my gym are using LLLT devices now and claiming it helps circulation/cell growth/blah blah... it just looks like they're shining strobe lights onto their backs to me, though. This nail pad seems equally effective lol.

Valhoven likes this.
  7. Phlog

Phlog Dad Belt

From what I understand, roughly 70% of all back pain is psychological.

Theory goes that one unconsciously compensates when the back is injured with muscles around or correlated with the injury. The tense muscles and/or non normative function causes pain.

Use of a tens machine, pain killers, the mat in the OP provide the body with the opportunity to return to normal function. You are basically making yourself forget the original injury, even though it may be long gone.

It's why pain killers are so often prescribed for back pain, the idea is they allow normal use of the back and the elimination of the bodies response to the injury, that is more of a restorative than almost anything.

AndyTran, Valhoven and Badger67 like this.
  8. j123

j123 Pro Sherdogger 500-0-1

6'4 280lbs? You sound like a midget

Valhoven likes this.
  9. Demogoblin

Demogoblin Black Belt

where do i buy these tension mats i tried to google it i just get hardware stuff

10. Valhoven

Sorry, mate; just saw this.

Where are you? If an English-language country, I found out they're called acupressure mats in English and you can order them, f.ex. from Amazon, for pennies compared to sessions with an acupuncturist.