Pain in my knee

grrthetree

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Ok, this isn't me asking for a diagnosis, I'm not that dumb, I'm asking what I should do.

I just started working out like 20 minutes ago. I warmed up on the elliptical for 2 minutes, stretched, then did some warm-up squats. My first exercise would be squats so I did alot of leg warm ups. I did 25, then 50, then 75. Don't laugh but I was doing 115lbs for 5x5. I felt fine my first set, on the second I felt my knee a little bit, not much pain but I knew something was there. I go to lift it for my 3rd set and my knee hurts, not crazy bad or anything, but I definitely know it's there. My dad had Osgood Slaughter's disease or whatever that is, so I'm not sure if I have genetically bad knees. I'm 99% positive I'm doing squats with good form, I wasn't always though (I found out about 2-3 weeks ago.) if anyone can relate some advice or anything please do, I'm gonna go try again with some light weight.

I didn't mention that I use a weight bench for a squat rack too. i squat down, put the weight on my back, stand up, and step back, then squat. My bench has a removable bar so I can stand directly under it, though.

Your form probably sucks. Get a video on here, and we'll let you know.

On a side note, get a power rack.

I'll get a video of me doing BW squats, or light weight.

ok so after watching it I think I know my problem, my stance is too narrow and my knees end up bending outwards, I need to fix this. So my real question is, after this slight pain when should I start squatting again?

Oh, and heres my video
YouTube - Squat form check, light weight

Indeed, that would hurt my knees, too!

As your knee is healing, try doing more of a power-squat style, where your legs are further apart, toes slightly outward. Experiment and see what your body likes the best, since when squatting you need to find your own grove.

And for the love of squats, get a power rack! You're going to fucking kill yourself unracking anything heavy like that.

Edit: typo.

The bench is temporary until I can get into a gym. I don't have all that much weight and won't be just weight training in the near future. I'll end up doing 1 or 2 maintenance lifts a week in season and off season lift heavy for muscle building.

Sit back, not down. You're putting too much tension on your knees when you lean forward like that.

Do like Blondie says and go with a slightly wider stance with your toes pointed out. The name of the game is to keep the weight on your heels.

Your other goal lies at the bottom of the squat. Make sure you are going down enough to get a good stretch in your hamstrings - this will tell you that you are low enough, and will take the pressure off of your knees.

Go down lower, at least until the top of your thighs are parallel to the ground if you wanna do powerliftin', or 'til your hammys hit your calves (ass-to-grass, or ATG) for better all around athletic development.

A lot of people don't understand how to "sit back" but it's one of the most important things to do in a good squat as it makes the best bar path and eliminates that forward knee drift what puts more pressure on the knee.

one problem that causes the forward knee drift is people thinking the torso is to stay erect during the lift, but this is not the case. as you sit back, your torso becomes more parallel to the ground, but you still keep an arch with the chest up or "popped."

to "sit back" the first thing you do on decent is unlock the hips, not the knees, and try to touch your ass back to the wall behind you, while keeping the chest up. you will feel the back engage more to stay arched and that's why the back squats work the back.

this will cut that huge knee drift to one or less inches over your toes and you will be safe. you think sitting back will make you fall, but the bar always stays over mid-foot.

Back