Pain from eating leg kicks

manwich

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
So in my last muay thai class we drilled a certain combo that involved taking a low kick to the lead leg (without shin guards). My partner is one of the more experienced guys and has nasty leg kicks so it was a rough 15 minutes working with him. 5 days later my leg still hurts like shit (limping around, can barely run).

This is my first time really taking hard leg kicks (only been doing muay thai for 3 months) so my legs aren't really conditioned, but is it normal for the thigh to be this sore almost a week later?

yeah, it can be but you get used to it. also, I know it wasn't sparring but as you get better, you'll also take less damage from getting better defensively.

shouldn't be going hard in partner drills...especially without shinguards.

especially with guys like this lol...hopefully you're not in Africa. then again, I'm sure they take leg kicks better than I do:

Yeah, it sucks but you'll eventually start getting used to it. It's an essential part of conditioning, just the nature of the beast really.

Train the quads bruh. It'll help but nothing beats conditioning and getting used to the pain & fatigue.

Yeah I remember when I first started training even drills with shin pads would debilitate my lead leg.

Couple years later I prefer not wearing shin pads during drills or sparring because my legs are more conditioned and you develop bad habits wearing them, imo.

Dude I almost posted something like this on Saturday. We were just doing takedown drills at Jits and we were throwing punches and kicks at the guy coming in for takedowns at like 30%-50% and one of my leg kicks got checked and HOLY SHIT did it hurt. I thought about sitting down immediately lol. I finished training and everything but I was thinking "So THIS is what everyone keeps talking about when they say how bad this hurts!"
And I consider myself pretty damn stoic.

My whole shin muscle has been very sore since and there is a dent in my bone now, even the ankle and calf are sore some.

It's gotten a little better each day though, and I'll be training tonight :D

Good times.

Yeah, first time I started sparring/camp, I took some heavy ones and it took 2.5 weeks to really recover.
Now that I'm used to it, if I get a similar feeling it takes around 3-6 days to recover.

Still, sounds like your drilling partner was going a bit hard, if its too much tell him to chill.

Leg kicks are going to hurt tremendously for the rest of your training career, so you have that to look forward to. Enjoy!

If you have to eat a leg kick w/o checking, brace your leg against his. It will make eating the kick much less painful.

The ones that REALLY hurt and leave a long lasting pain, are kicks against the unflexed muscle.

You have to speak up man..

Especially when you are taking strikes for extended time without proper padding.

I do this all the time... Just give them the heads up they are throwing with to much force. Its not being a pussy, you have to be able to train.. having a fucked up leg is going to keep you out of the dojo

gotta complain to him at that moment, or still complaining to yourself a week later. haha

if its a week after, then you got it baddddd. it's better to take thigh conditioning at small bursts throughout the course of your training, not one big payload. then it'll take you out of training

Thank you all for the responses.

So for whatever reason, my leg decided to just swell up like a balloon this morning (3am) and the pain was so bad I had to wake my friend up and take me to the hospital. Nothing serious, just really bad muscle contusion according to the doc. But yea, def gonna skip tonight's class :D...

I guess I didn't know how much I could take on my lead leg, but now I do. So next time I'll speak up if it's too much during training.

It's weird though cuz I did boxing the next day and went for a jog after that, but then on the 4th day my leg was getting worse all of a sudden...

squats and running...

but most importantly, tell them to go easier

Leave the leg that is taking the impact floating and move it with the kick.Rub out the knots in the muscle as much as possible to recover faster(yes it hurts like hell).

Leave the leg that is taking the impact floating and move it with the kick.Rub out the knots in the muscle as much as possible to recover faster(yes it hurts like hell).

It's funny cuz my leg decided to swell up real bad after I massaged it out a bit.

You have to speak up man..

Especially when you are taking strikes for extended time without proper padding.

I do this all the time... Just give them the heads up they are throwing with to much force. Its not being a pussy, you have to be able to train.. having a fucked up leg is going to keep you out of the dojo

This. Guys are right about conditioning, but within reason.

These guys don't play, sparring 100% on hardwood floor

well, Dutch kickboxers are known for sparring harder in general and these dudes are in Africa, so...

id say a case of machismo but wrong culture.

You shouldn't be suffering that much from a training partner. No amount of conditioning is going to help if you are taking constant leg kicks for 15 minutes. you need to tell the dude you are training with to slow down a bit. I have experienced this a couple of times with guys who place their kicks so well that they are constantly hitting the same part of my thigh, even with pads, I ask them to lighten it up.

Back