Paige VanZant Welcome To Free Agency Off Of A Tapout Loss

RODNEY83

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Paige VanZant (8-5) welcomed herself into free agency fresh off of a 1st Round Arm Bar tapout loss to Amanda Ribas (10-1). So much for having any bargaining power with the UFC as far as being a Top 10 talent in the UFC Flyweight division. But she may still have that being a ratings draw bargaining power with the UFC. And we all know Bellator under Coker loves everything ex-UFC. I think we all are assuming the odds are she will be signing with Bellator and get favorable matchmaking to rejuvenate her MMA fighting career. So look for a Paige VanZant vs Bruna Ellen type matchup in Bellator. Then a Paige VanZant vs Ilara Joanne (9-5), who has a losing record versus fighters with a winning record and maybe a Paige VanZant vs Lena Ovchynnikova (12-6), who has a losing record against fighters who have a registered MMA win.

Last edited:
Honestly I don't think she goes anywhere. Considering current economic climates i dont really see her being offered a huge contract and she isnt stupid enough to fight for cheap so she'll end up making money off other ventures.

It didn't sound like she really wanted to be a fighter anyways. She used MMA as a spring board to bigger and better things, and I'm sure she'll make more money for her appearance than she ever would in fighting.

She has been on the news a lot lately stating she would be making as much money in any job as she does in the UFC now. And before that she was on record stating she made more on Dancing with the stars then she ever did in the UFC. So she was already on Dana's sh*t list so Dans stating she just earned herself free-agent status came as no suprise. She a cutie so will find work.

PVZ is not a world beater thats for sure but she is not just a pretty face either. Her problem is the lingering forearm issues and her inactivity. Plus we all know the UFC set her up to fail in her last fight on her contract; thats what they do to every fighter who dares to want to test free agency.
If you look at her record she has some decent wins and lost to legit competition. She might not be the champion in any organization, but she would be a draw, thats for sure.

I do believe once One will start making more events they will have Paige, against who is a question and it also depends of which weightclass she will choose if it is 115 lbs she could give a shot to fight Angela Lee

We all know that One is just air

PVZ is not a world beater thats for sure but she is not just a pretty face either. Her problem is the lingering forearm issues and her inactivity. Plus we all know the UFC set her up to fail in her last fight on her contract; thats what they do to every fighter who dares to want to test free agency.
If you look at her record she has some decent wins and lost to legit competition. She might not be the champion in any organization, but she would be a draw, thats for sure.

She's been awful ever since she left TAM. She lost to Jessica Rose Clark who isn't very good and although I'm not going to go back and watch the fight IIRC she even made hard work of beating Ostovich, who's a terrible fighter.

I still think Bellator will make her a decent offer, just because of the name value, though.

I do believe once One will start making more events they will have Paige, against who is a question and it also depends of which weightclass she will choose if it is 115 lbs she could give a shot to fight Angela Lee

We all know that One is just air
Dude you’re out of your mind. She’s not going to One. Almost 100% guaranteed she goes to Bellator.

This seems like a classic Coker and Bellator signing and it may just do her some good going to Bellator at least inside the cage.

But PVZ I'm sure understands a lot of her other income is produced from her exposure in the UFC. I think Bellator may have to way over pay her to get her. If Bellator's offer is only 10K more a fight I'd see her just staying in the UFC. But if they come with a strong 100K a fight offer I think she takes it in a heartbeat.

This seems like a classic Coker and Bellator signing and it may just do her some good going to Bellator at least inside the cage.

But PVZ I'm sure understands a lot of her other income is produced from her exposure in the UFC. I think Bellator may have to way over pay her to get her. If Bellator's offer is only 10K more a fight I'd see her just staying in the UFC. But if they come with a strong 100K a fight offer I think she takes it in a heartbeat.
100k a fight for PVZ? lol

IMO shes worth like 25+25

Ilima-lei is a Bellator champ and her last disclosed purse was $75k, no bonus. Cyborg got $250k and Budd got $350k, I guess as a going away present. Paige was on around $45k show with a similar win bonus in the UFC, which she rarely collected. She would have been earning more if she'd actually won fights ..... most UFC contracts go up when you win and mark time if you lose.

I don't think the UFC will care if Paige goes, it helps with their legal battles, hey look we let one of our most marketable young fighters go to a rival promotion.

PVZ should have renegotiated after her first 5 fights.

She was 4-1. A main eventer. Coming off dancing with the stars and a wonderful switch kick KO.

Plus her TV ratings vs. Waterson went on to become the highest UFC received in nearly 3 years, proving she’s a draw.

the plan is to get the plate removed so she doesn’t have to worry about it. Another surgery and some time off but then she’ll be 100%. If she signs with Bellator I imagine it will be a mixed deal- she’ll be doing pre fight interviews and maybe get behind the desk as well as fighting.

She's been awful ever since she left TAM. She lost to Jessica Rose Clark who isn't very good and although I'm not going to go back and watch the fight IIRC she even made hard work of beating Ostovich, who's a terrible fighter.

I still think Bellator will make her a decent offer, just because of the name value, though.
This Jessica Rose Clark loss is the one that stands out the most, IDK what happened there, that was more of a gimme fight that she ended up dropping.

the plan is to get the plate removed so she doesn’t have to worry about it. Another surgery and some time off but then she’ll be 100%. If she signs with Bellator I imagine it will be a mixed deal- she’ll be doing pre fight interviews and maybe get behind the desk as well as fighting.
This makes more sense, her appeal is mostly because of her looks plus she can fight, so having a mixed deal makes sense, plus her husband is already in Bellator and doing quiet well, so that makes sense.

Back