Padilla & Sons Light Weight Gi

cowpaste

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

This is my review for my Padilla & Sons (PS) light weight gi. I'm 5'8" and around ~160 lb. According to the PS website (link), I would fit best in their size A2. I was initially debating between and their gold weave and their light weight white gis. However, they were out of stock of the gold weave (at the time of purchase), so I ended up ordering the light weight. I recall being happy with how quickly I got the gi, but I didn't keep track of exactly how long it took.

Jacket
My first impression of the jacket was that it was strong and well made. All the seams I checked were nicely done, and there were solid reinforcements at high-stress areas (skirt, armpit, crotch, etc). The jacket fabric stretches very little and is a bit rough. I figure the roughness is good for competition but at the cost of some comfort.

PS_lightweight_jacket_front.jpg

Jacket front.

PS_lightweight_jacket_back.jpg

Jacket back.

PS_lightweight_reinforce.jpg

From top to bottom, armpit and skirt reinforcements.

PS_lightweight_Lshoulder.jpg

Left shoulder logo and closeup of weave.

PS_lightweight_Rshoulder.jpg

Right shoulder logo and closeup of weave.

PS_lightweight_tag.jpg

Jacket tag.

Last edited:
I think most people would consider the lapel to be somewhat soft and non-ideal in a competition setting. Personally, this does not bother me because I tend to be in horrible positions whenever I get choked out. A stiffer lapel would not matter much!

PS_lightweight_lapel.jpg

Lower lapel and logo.

Pants
I really like the pants. They are well constructed, and the material is thick and strong. Much like the jacket, the seams and reinforcements were well done. I have two main criticisms. First, I felt the pant legs were cut a little bit too short for my height. They were actually perfect in length when I got them new, but after a few washes, the pant ends hang a bit too high above my ankles (as a reference, I wear jeans with 31-32" inseams). Second, after a few washes, the stretchy drawstring began to come apart. I believe this is a common problem because I've seen a couple other posts reporting the same thing. I'm sure I could have gotten a replacement drawstring, but I ended up fixing it myself to save time.

PS_lightweight_pants.jpg

Pants.

PS_lightweight_crotch_out.jpg

Crotch area.

PS_lightweight_crotch_in.jpg

Inner view of crotch area.

Final rating: 4/5 stars
Overall, I am happy with my purchase. I would say the gi material strength and construction are some of the best aspects of the gi. I'm pretty sure it will last for quite some time. There is some room for improvement, but I would definitely recommend this gi to a friend. For what it costs, I think it's one of the best deals on the market right now.

Last edited:
I have the same gi in A1 black. This is awesome gi. I will post my own review tonight also. I thought the collar was thin too but if I get gi choked, that means I made a stupid mistake while rolling :D

could you take a pic of you wearing it? I'm the same height as you but 20lbs lighter.

what does machine wash mean? is that some industrial stuff or are they talking about the normal washing machines we use??

I'll tell you what...I ordered a P&S litewieight in A4, was very impressed with it..ended up overshrinking it though after 2nd wash. My bro got into BJJ, he's about 15lbs lighter and stockier than me, so I handed over the gi to him, it was a perfect fit. The gi has held up very well. So much so that I have lost about 15lbs since handing it over, and have already asked my bro to give it back if he ever gives up BJJ. My GF even commented on how soft it was compared to my other gi's when I washed the P&S for my bro a couple weeks back.

Definitely a solid gi for the price!

The A4 goes up to 245 and after shrinkage fits 235, and im at 175 with the a3, so im guessing it would be perfect on my also after shrinkage but how did you wash it? just cold wash hang dry or wash and dryer

The A4 goes up to 245 and after shrinkage fits 235, and im at 175 with the a3, so im guessing it would be perfect on my also after shrinkage but how did you wash it? just cold wash hang dry or wash and dryer

the gi did fit after shrinking, just a little tight for my liking...As for shrinking, I hot washed and left it in dryer unattended:icon_cry2

Cow, you're about the same height/weight as me, do you have any pics of you wearing it so we can see the fit?

How does the weight compare to the gold weave?

I'm not sure which to get...the gold or the light

Just got my light weight gi.

It's AWESOME. All edges (cuffs, skirt, pant cuffs) are all sewed 6 times...everything is seriously reinforced.

And it's SOFT...so comfortable...the draw string on the pants is great too. I tie it on at the beginning of class and forget about it.

Joe Padilla also entertained a few emails back and forth asking dumb questions. Great customer service.

For a gi under $100, hell, at any price, this is one heck of a good deal.

Just got my light weight gi.

It's AWESOME. All edges (cuffs, skirt, pant cuffs) are all sewed 6 times...everything is seriously reinforced.

And it's SOFT...so comfortable...the draw string on the pants is great too. I tie it on at the beginning of class and forget about it.

Joe Padilla also entertained a few emails back and forth asking dumb questions. Great customer service.

For a gi under $100, hell, at any price, this is one heck of a good deal.

How do you like the P&S lightweight gi so far?

Back