Pad work numbering system for strikes

ven1047

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Could anyone help me??? What is a pretty standard numbering system used for hitting the thai pads or focus mitts. I know they usually start with
1-jab
2-cross
3-lead hook
4-overhand
etc...

but where do they go from there (especially once you incorporate kicks, elbows, and knees)??????

Usually an uppercut is 4. Then most times the strike is just called out, so if you want to throw a 1-2, and a right low kick, you just say " 1-2, with a right low kick." If you want me to go to the liver kick you just yell it out, and it happens.

Just on this thread I think we will see the numbers vary a bit from trainer to trainer. My trainer said 4 was a rear hand hook, and uppercuts were 5+6 (lead and rear hand).

Bas rutten has a very simple number system with kicks that is easy to rip off and use with newer people doing pad work.

Here is the system that Guy Mezger put in one of his books;

1. Jab
2. Cross
3. Hook
4. Uppercut
5. Overhand
6. Spinning Back Fist

Then just call out the kick/knee/elbow strike. But there are a lot of different systems (such as Bas' which assigns numbers to combos) with varying levels of complexity, so I'd suggest just using/developing a system that you feel comfortable with - and is easy to understand and follow.

In my experience the only numbering that is consistent is 1,2,3 as jab, cross, lead hook. I've talked to a few people at my MT gym about it and my impression is that the numbers are mostly used in boxing and we mostly just call out the combo in words e.g. "jab, cross, hook, right low kick".

I'm not so sure a numbering system that covers all the aspects of Muay Thai would be that useful, since there are so many possible strikes. I think that would be hard to remember.

1 numbering system that Ive been taught that I like is:

1=jab
2=cross
3= lead hand hook
4= backhand uppercut
5= lead hand uppercut
6=backhand bodyhook
7=lead hand bodyhook
8=backhand upset to the body
9=lead hand upset to the body
10=spinning backfist

if you notice its alternating hands. If you fight with your left foot forward it will be L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R. And if you fight as a southpaw it will just be opposite. Also an easy way to remember the numbers is, all you lead hand punches are odd numbers and all your backhand punches are even numbers.

if we call out a kick in with the numbers we just call out the kick.

example= 1, 2, 7, 2, back leg low kick (thats how it would be called out)

that combo would be: jab, cross, upset punch, cross, back leg low kick

If we want a lead leg kick we would say "lead leg" or if we wanted a switch kick we would call "switch kick"

Wow you guys have some odd numbering systems. I've trained at two different MT gyms and they were both the same, and very simple.

1-Jab
2-Cross
3-Lead hook
4-Rear hook
5-Lead uppercut
6-Rear uppercut

Wow you guys have some odd numbering systems. I've trained at two different MT gyms and they were both the same, and very simple.

1-Jab
2-Cross
3-Lead hook
4-Rear hook
5-Lead uppercut
6-Rear uppercut

But what about the kicks, knees, and elbows. I trained with Team Quest for a few days while visiting Oregon. I know that 9 and 10 were both high kicks, and I'm pretty sure 1-6 were as follows:

1-jab
2-cross
3-lead hook
4-rear uppercut
5-lead uppercut
6-overhand

I'm just having trouble filling in the holes.

the number system we use in our muay thai gym.

1-Jab
2-Right Cross
3-Left Hook
4-Right Kick
5-Right Knee
6-Push kick
7-Left knee
8-Left Kick

+ Right upper cut
- Left upper cut

Red- right elbow
blue- left elbow

so a: Low 2, 3 , high 4 would be a right punch to body followed by left hook to head followed by high right kick.

In the 14 years I have been training, I have never had a trainer call out numbers or combos.

1- jab
2-cross
3 left hook
mid 3 low left hook
4 right hook
low 4
5 left uppercut
6 right uppercut
7 left front kick
8 rear front kick
9 left thai kick
10 right kick

1- jab
2-cross
3 left hook
mid 3 low left hook
4 right hook
low 4
5 left uppercut
6 right uppercut
7 left front kick
8 rear front kick
9 left thai kick
10 right kick

Damn LOL this is the first "normal" numbering system so far in this thread. What's up with all the whack 1-6 numberings?! I guess people have just abandoned the boxing numbering

For body shots add B.

Jab to the head then to the body: "1 1B"
jab to the head then straight to the body: "1 2B"

Damn LOL this is the first "normal" numbering system so far in this thread. What's up with all the whack 1-6 numberings?! I guess people have just abandoned the boxing numbering

For body shots add B.

Jab to the head then to the body: "1 1B"
jab to the head then straight to the body: "1 2B"

agreed there is some messed up number systems up in here. i mean actually numbering a spinning back fist?

if you've tried bas ruttens mma workout his combos are as follows

1 - jab
2 - jab, cross
3 - jab, cross, left hook
4 - jab, cross, left hook, cross

this is basically the system we use at our school - its pretty effective and its easy to call out uppercut or liver shot or whatever inbetween combos

But what about the kicks, knees, and elbows. I trained with Team Quest for a few days while visiting Oregon. I know that 9 and 10 were both high kicks, and I'm pretty sure 1-6 were as follows:

1-jab
2-cross
3-lead hook
4-rear uppercut
5-lead uppercut
6-overhand

I'm just having trouble filling in the holes.

We don't use numbers for kicks, you just call out the side you want the kick to come on. Such as "1,2,3 left kick".

My coach just calls out the name of the punches except for the 1-2. He'll be like "one two, left hook, straight."

In the 14 years I have been training, I have never had a trainer call out numbers or combos.

That i find odd for the beginners. Beginners cant even do what you ask them, much less figure out what to throw themselves, add in an inexperienced pad holder and freestyled pad work is a recipe for disaster.

I trained with and seen people who are of both minds, both thai and western boxing (regarding guiding a person with combos/feeding them pads and letting them go to town) and IMO, neither is better than the other, one does take two experienced people working together though for more complicated combinations.

1 - Jab
2 - Cross
3 - Left hook
4 - Right hook
5 - Left uppercut
6 - Right uppercut

This is what my coach uses for my club. I think it varies within every coach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiTrok