Pacquiao vs Vargas - 11/5

Here's the big difference between Mayweathers cherry pick against Berto and Pacquiaos against Vargas. Mayweather schooled Pacquiao and had nothing left to prove. He had one fight left under his contract and took an easy route out. But to come out of retirement now to fight Vargas makes no sense unless he's playing it safe for a Mayweather rematch.

Oh God, here we go again with ongoing defense of Mayweather/Berto when it has nothing to do with anything here.

Seano and I said this was the inevitable match up, Bob knows the answer before the question.

A lot of people predicted this. I figured it'd be Vargas too, though I wished for Crawford.

What am I missing? Been gone for a bit. Where is all this May vs Pac rematch talk coming from?

Pactards being hopeful. I see it on Facebook all the time. They been talking about a rematch with Floyd as soon as the match was over.

No, @RR told us that it was being negotiated and is likely to happen. I don't think Strange King is facebook friends with RR.

Okay so that "50th fight" thread is also dumbassed speculation, too?

Yeah, that thread is just for fun I assume. But if he comes back, it's likely to be Pacquiao according to RR. Nobody really knows for sure though.

Here's the big difference between Mayweathers cherry pick against Berto and Pacquiaos against Vargas. Mayweather schooled Pacquiao and had nothing left to prove. He had one fight left under his contract and took an easy route out. But to come out of retirement now to fight Vargas makes no sense unless he's playing it safe for a Mayweather rematch.

Vargas is worth a WBO strap and about $20 million to Pacquiao. It's very reasonable to dislike this fight, but it's mindless to pretend there's nothing in it for Pacquiao.

Pacquiao still has something left to prove? Lol.
If he doesn't then why fight? Especially after all the money he made in the Floyd fight.

Vargas is worth a WBO strap and about $20 million to Pacquiao. It's very reasonable to dislike this fight, but it's mindless to pretend there's nothing in it for Pacquiao.
Obviously there is something in this fight for Pacquiao and no its not the money because he would of made that money fighting other opponents. Its Floyd. He's picking a safe option because he wants another crack at Floyd and someone like Vargas will make Pacquiao look good.

If he doesn't then why fight? Especially after all the money he made in the Floyd fight.

Athletics are not all about proving something. I do not understand where that idea came from. Pacquiao could have retired years ago and been a hall of famer with nothing to "prove" to anybody.

People all fight for different reasons. Pacquiao might want more money, like all rich people do. He might still enjoy fighting. He might recognize that his political aspirations rely on his popularity, which comes from being a fighter. He might want to fight Floyd again if he thinks he can do better. Who knows.

Obviously there is something in this fight for Pacquiao and no its not the money because he would of made that money fighting other opponents. Its Floyd. He's picking a safe option because he wants another crack at Floyd and someone like Vargas will make Pacquiao look good.

There were two options, Crawford and Vargas. He picked the easier of those options because it suits his style, and is probably aiming for a Mayweather fight. That's all probably completely true.

Hope pacquiao puts the moves on vargas and knocks his fuckin block off

No, @RR told us that it was being negotiated and is likely to happen.

Ok, Thanks for the clarification.
And yeah, I don't have a problem with what either guy does at this point. They have nothing to prove. Only way it goes bad for their legacy is if all of a sudden they start getting sparked cold by Journeymen.

There were two options, Crawford and Vargas. He picked the easier of those options because it suits his style, and is probably aiming for a Mayweather fight. That's all probably completely true.
I'm not mad at Pacquiao. I'm just disappointed with this match up.

Ok, Thanks for the clarification.
And yeah, I don't have a problem with what either guy does at this point. They have nothing to prove. Only way it goes bad for their legacy is if all of a sudden they start getting sparked cold by Journeymen.

No problem. And I agree, there is nothing wrong with a 37 year old Pacquiao (part time boxer, part time senator) fighting a young WBO champion who is good but not great.

Everyone is going to have an emotional response, as they do with anything related to Pacquiao or Floyd, but there is really nothing to get emotional about with this match. It's just average.

I'm not mad at Pacquiao. I'm just disappointed with this match up.

I am not disappointed, but that's because I was expecting this to be the choice. Freddie has been trying to get a Danny Garcia fight for years. He wants that fight more than any other fight. But they just won't let that happen.

So we're left with Top Rank guys. Crawford is a spoiler, a guy who can rain the May-Pac-2 parade. There is a boat load of money at stake.

Also, I was just thinking, this might be further proof that Pacquiao is under the impression he is fighting Mayweather again.

Hope pacquiao puts the moves on vargas and knocks his fuckin block off

Do you not like Vargas? I admit I didn't like him to start, being pushed hard on everybody by TMT then putting on stinkers like the Josesito Lopez fight and a few others. But after the Bradley fight and the Ali fight (which he was most definitely chosen for an easy win in both cases) this kids game has improved and he's exceeded expectations. Though I never think he'll be at the elite level, he's a solid contender.

No problem. And I agree, there is nothing wrong with a 37 year old Pacquiao (part time boxer, part time senator) fighting a young WBO champion who is good but not great.

Everyone is going to have an emotional response, as they do with anything related to Pacquiao or Floyd, but there is really nothing to get emotional about with this match. It's just average.
It's average enough, but I'd watch for this reason:
How much longer can he rely so strongly on his physical attributes the way he does?

It's average enough, but I'd watch for this reason:
How much longer can he rely so strongly on his physical attributes the way he does?

I agree. I've been saying that for a while. You can see him gradually boxing more, and being more clever in the ring lately to make up for his age. He can't do a lot of the things that made him so formidable earlier in his career. If you watch the Cotto fight, then you watch the 3rd Bradley fight, you see a world of difference.

Jessie Vargas is not a shitty fighter, he's a young guy and he just knocked the hell out of Saddam Ali. This is not a matchup that is so shitty for 37 year old Pacquiao that people should be upset over it. Like I said, it's reasonable to not be interested. But I do not think it's reasonable to be upset over.

No, @RR told us that it was being negotiated and is likely to happen. I don't think Strange King is facebook friends with RR.

Yeah, that thread is just for fun I assume. But if he comes back, it's likely to be Pacquiao according to RR. Nobody really knows for sure though.

I am friends with RR. Rachael Rodriguez bro. Huge tits and boxing expert

Be real guys this is a shit fight. They're going to pop it on ppv which stinks even more.

He's fighting the guy who lost to the guy he just beat. Come on

Be real guys this is a shit fight. They're going to pop it on ppv which stinks even more.

He's fighting the guy who lost to the guy he just beat. Come on

There is a middle ground between a good fight and a shit fight. This fight is in that middle ground.

"He's fighting a guy who lost to the guy he just beat" is not enough of a reason to say it is a shit fight. He knocked out a pretty good undefeated guy in his next fight, and he has the WBO title. We've all agreed recently that Vargas looks to be an improving fighter, and he's only 27.

It's an okay fight. It's not really on any extremes.

I'll also add, this is a relevant fight. Vargas is a relevant fighter, not a recycled old guy like Guerrero and Collazo. This is the 4th straight relevant fight for Jessie Vargas, and we should acknowledge that. Vargas is stepping up consistently unlike any other welterweight. We all complain that guys are afraid to take challenges, and here is Jessie Vargas taking his 4th straight challenge

Last edited:
I stand corrected lets burn Pacquiao at the stake

When Jessie was signed to fight Brook everyone thought it was a solid fight for both guys.

90% of people picked Ali to beat Vargas. Jessie knocked him out. Yes Tim was beating Jessie but Jessie could have JCC Meldrick Taylored Tim's ass of the ref didn't mess up in the 12th.

Of course it's not the best fight out there at 147 but it's the easiest bout to be made and only guy left at 147 available.

Broner, Danny, and Thurman all out. Porter and khan coming off loss. Brook fighting triple g. Tim just lost. Lamont doesn't have a title and spence is being built slowly.

Lastly, Jessie is a current full world title holder, WBO.

I imagine an old school manny vs Mexican fighter brawl.

There is a middle ground between a good fight and a shit fight. This fight is in that middle ground.

"He's fighting a guy who lost to the guy he just beat" is not enough of a reason to say it is a shit fight. He knocked out a pretty good undefeated guy in his next fight, and he has the WBO title. We've all agreed recently that Vargas looks to be an improving fighter, and he's only 27.

It's an okay fight. It's not really on any extremes.

I'll also add, this is a relevant fight. Vargas is a relevant fighter, not a recycled old guy like Guerrero and Collazo. This is the 4th straight relevant fight for Jessie Vargas, and we should acknowledge that. Vargas is stepping up consistently unlike any other welterweight. We all complain that guys are afraid to take challenges, and here is Jessie Vargas taking his 4th straight challenge

My extreme comes from past experiences with pac and his team. Plenty of better fighters out there for pac to fight. I knew before it was announced when vargas was on his list the weakest opponent would be picked. It's pac's MO for years.

Not only that but top rank and there 3 welterweights are all that will be matched against pac.

It sickens me.

I do concur that this fight will be entertaining. Pac rarely ever has a boring fight but I don't care how entertaining it is I'm not gonna watch pac smash one of the weakest fighters out there.

Vargas is a c+ fighter. Now he's special for knocking out ali? Ali isn't very good either. This is the same shit as when algeri got a shot. Oh he's really good blah blah. Algeri never belonged in the ring fighting pac on ppv and vargas doesn't either.

I'm supposed to believe top rank that no one wanted to fight pac and the only person available was vargas.

I wasnt falling for there lies years ago and I'm not about to now.

Pac's team picked this fight because it's an easy fight. He will dominate and they'll say "the old pac man is back and he has a healthy shoulder. Floyds ducking.

Back