PACQUIAO vs COTTO revisited

SSgt Dickweed

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
Watching the moments where Pac knocked down Cotto, I was surprised how tactical Pac was fighting. He was circling away from Cotto's left, the power hand, which I believe he did not display in big fights before (?). He was also letting Cotto tee off on him before countering, as opposed to just scrambling. Freddie seemed to have selected Manny's sparring partners really well for this fight.

It needs to be said that this was one of the matched where Team Pacquiao made the opposing team sign the infamous hydration clause (hi Canelo). Also, this is the first match Cotto fought after unceremoniously splitting with his uncle and longtime trainer. He was coached by his conditioning trainer for this fight, not a good decision in hindsight, and Cotto eventually ended up being coached by Freddie some years after.

Watching some other old Cotto fights, he seemed to switch being a southpaw momentarily in matches. He's generally not thought of being a switch hitter but he effectively was.

Cotto was bludgeoned by plaster of Margarito then drew/loss to Clottey. His self esteem was at a near career low. Couple that with using his friend (and non boxing trainer w zero experience) along w the catchweight and rehydration clause...this was ideal matchmaking by Freddy as Cotto was a shell of himself in these conditions.

Still a great win for Manny but this wasnt the Cotto that beat Mosley or Judah or Malignaggi

Cotto was bludgeoned by plaster of Margarito then drew/loss to Clottey. His self esteem was at a near career low. Couple that with using his friend (and non boxing trainer w zero experience) along w the catchweight and rehydration clause...this was ideal matchmaking by Freddy as Cotto was a shell of himself in these conditions.

Still a great win for Manny but this wasnt the Cotto that beat Mosley or Judah or Malignaggi
How do you think Pacquiao would have faired against a game Cotto ?

Cotto was overconfident there up until he got dropped, then the fight was basically over.
but he was doing really well up until that point, don't you think? i think pacquiao just figured out the distance and went to work on him.

How do you think Pacquiao would have faired against a game Cotto ?

Prime Pac va Cotto that showed up for Margarito is def more competitive. Manny still wins but not as much or a landslide. Cotto's uncle was a good trainer and gave good feedback. Miguel would've benefited from that. Miguel believed he was invincible before being cheated by Margs and he wouldve been much more determined and resilient against Manny.

Perhaps fight goes the distance in a 8-4 bout but Manny scores 1-2 KD. Manny has a couple more scares as Cotto presses HARD more than just 1 round like their actual fight

but he was doing really well up until that point, don't you think? i think pacquiao just figured out the distance and went to work on him.
He was but if you look at that first KD that changed the pace of the fight, that was sloppy work from Cotto. He didn't seem to sense any danger.

Yet Cotto 5 years later gave Canelo a competitive fight? He improved at 35?

Pacquiao did improve a lot strategically under Freddie Roach compared to early on in his career when he kept trying to do the same thing over and over again.

I remember watching the first Barrera fight, when Pacquiao scored the first knockdown, Larry Merchant did a quick breadown and said "he was looking for it". A couple of fights later you realise "he's always looking for it" (the straight left).

Sometimes I think Roach takes on too many fighters but I think he deserves his plaudits as a coach for the work he did with Pacquiao.

Reactions: HHJ
i knew we could count on you to provide some asinine insight.

Now do explain why my comment was asinine. Explain how the version of Cotto who fought Canelo 6 years later was not worse than the one who fought Manny.

Now do explain why my comment was asinine. Explain how the version of Cotto who fought Canelo 6 years later was not worse than the one who fought Manny.
well you should be an expert on that, considering how you view benavidez's victory over lemieux compared to GGG's.

but in case you struggle - and you'd be hard pressed to defend that view without coming off even dumber than usual - i suggest that you actually watch some fights instead of wanking it to boxrec. cotto had somewhat of a career resurgence in his later years. why, how? who the fuck knows. but anyone who's actually watched his fights saw it.

of course, the issue here might be that it really doesn't matter what happened, because you don't give two fucks about consistency or honest debate. trying to derail every thread you enter with your proudly ignorant opinions is the most you can contribute here, and it's really tiresome. so let me just get straight to the point: fuck off already.

He was but if you look at that first KD that changed the pace of the fight, that was sloppy work from Cotto. He didn't seem to sense any danger.

Pacquiao is surprisingly powerful despite the multiple move ups in weight classed. It's actually insane. Cotto wasn't a big puncher. He had a good left hook body shot but other than that, he was no tito Trinidad.

Yet Cotto 5 years later gave Canelo a competitive fight? He improved at 35?

Styles make fights and you know this. Cotto had an early lead then Canelo took complete control. However, Cotto made adjustments in middle of the fight and started using more movement. Canelo struggled to land anything meaningful (as he always has) when he's not planted.

Canelo has limitations. He's a great contemporary fighter but I think there are tons of fighters that beat him historically. Not trying to diss Canelo cause I'm a huge fan - he truly does fight the best - but he's fortunate that no elite boxers were around his weight class. I don't think Bivol is elite but he uses enough movement and jab to keep Canelo from establishing his rhythm...it also helps that he's taller, longer, and heavier ofc...

Reactions: HHJ
Pacquiao is surprisingly powerful despite the multiple move ups in weight classed. It's actually insane. Cotto wasn't a big puncher. He had a good left hook body shot but other than that, he was no tito Trinidad.

Glad you brought up that left hook because you know who else brought that up? Freddy Roach. When he trained Miguel he said Manny def fought him at the right time as Miguel had gotten away from his left hook for a period. Roach even suggested the Miguel who was utilizing that hook may have been an entirely different fight...

Back