Pacquiao v. Mayweather, could it happen?

Itsallgood13

Hold My Pants Up Belt
Reaction score
*EDIT* First, look at when I made this thread, second just read through the first page at the very least. I find it funny.

\/Original

I want to get something out of the way right off the bat... This is not a who would win if they fought thread.

From what I've read and heard, Pacquiao is considered by some people to be the #2 P4P boxer in the world, behind obviously Mayweather. So... I also read that Manny is going to box David Diaz for his lightweight title. If Pacquaio wins, or even if he doesn't, do you think "Pretty Boy" Floyd could stop "wrasslin" for a while and fight Manny.

Bottom line is... Do you think this fight could happen? Maybe within a year, maybe later? Maybe you don't think it could happen at all with Floyd being distracted by WWE and being "retired"?

Edit: BTW, I heard a rumor that Mayweather might be fighting Oscar De La Hoya again... I ask(other than it would be a huge moneymaker) why? Given the right build up, I think Pacquiao/Mayweather could be just as big of a moneymaker...

as much as i love pacquiao he would be in a bit of trouble going up to even 140 to fight mayweather

I don't see it happening. Floyd will fight DLH & Cotto first for sure. I just don't see them crossing paths. & you didn't ask but I'm sure Floyd takes this one all day long.

Pacquiao late KO!
I think it could happen, Floyd's more likely to take the Fight against Pacman than he is against Cotto imo but it wont be for another few years.

If Pacquiao makes the jump I'd love it for him to have a start up against Paul Williams to get used to the weight the size difference would be incredible and NO i am NOT wishing for Pac to get murdered he is my favourite fighter.

Why? This is boxing. A 17lbs jump is 3 weight classes. People have a hard time taking their power up 5lbs. Furthermore Pacquiao was out boxed and beat twice by Marquez in my opinion. Just imagine what Mayweather would do to him. I would love to see this fight so the Pacquiao fans will shut up. Beating up on past their prime greats and getting two gifts against Marquez, who is hardly a world beater, does not make you an all time great.

lol Pac fighting Hatton, Pac fighting Mayweather, DLH fighting Hatton or Pac. What's next. Ulises Solis versus Klitschko?

There are weight divisions for a reason people.

it will be a clear murder by Mayweather, pacquiao won

Why? This is boxing. A 17lbs jump is 3 weight classes. People have a hard time taking their power up 5lbs. Furthermore Pacquiao was out boxed and beat twice by Marquez in my opinion. Just imagine what Mayweather would do to him. I would love to see this fight so the Pacquiao fans will shut up. Beating up on past their prime greats and getting two gifts against Marquez, who is hardly a world beater, does not make you an all time great.

i take it you were a barrera/morales/marquez fan werent you :p

There are weight divisions for a reason people.

True, but why then do fighters jump up in weight ALL THE TIME...? Pacquiao's had titles in, what, 3 weight divisions, and Mayweather like 4 or 5?

BTW, I know, they usually move up as they get older. Like when Pacquaio started out at 103 at like 15, and obviously he can't stay that weight forever. But still, put on a little (more)muscle (if that's even possible) and see what happens. If you lose to Mayweather, what are you really losing, he's the best boxer there is. I'm sure it wouldn't hurt his career... Would it?

True, but why then do fighters jump up in weight ALL THE TIME...? Pacquiao's had titles in, what, 3 weight divisions, and Mayweather like 4 or 5?

Yes but they both started nearly 30lbs apart from each other, too. Pac started near minimumweight, and Floyd started as a SFW and didn't even stay there long.

Weight jumping is one thing, being utterly ridiculous is something else.

BTW, I know this might come as a surprise. But I'm not the biggest boxing fan in the world, I just made this thread b/c I think it would be cool to see the #1 and #2 p4p boxers in the world fight each other, and they're both close enough in weight IMO, that it could be slightly possible.

As possible as it is for Matt Hughes to fight Tim Sylvia.

Hmm. Then I should have said Kongo, wait dammit, then we'll get that whole Grappler/Striker shit going.

Eh, you know what I mean!

Hmm. Then I should have said Kongo, wait dammit, then we'll get that whole Grappler/Striker shit going.

Eh, you know what I mean!

the winner of kongo/sylvia is the first one to land a solid punch. Sylvia is no grappler and not especially skilled as a striker. He's just big with power/heart to match.

i could see a pacquiao vs hatton fight and it would be competitive, but he has no chance agais't PBF. even tough i think they could fight at 140, PBF is to big, strong and just as fast if not faster plus his skill level is much better than pacquiao's

I don't see the Mayweather/Manny fight happening. MANNY is a Filipino Icon (i'm filipino BTW), and i'm a huge nuthugger, but I think that Mayweather is too big and skilled right now.

I didn't read the 1st page of threads, so someone may have mentioned that:

Floyd walks around at 160, he could theoretically probably get back down to 140 and fight at J-Welter. Manny has already stated he wants to go up to 140 and fight Hatton.... Floyd's best weights were lighter than he is now. Having said that, Floyd has a few inches of height, a little more than that in reach, a big advantage in strength, etc. With everything in Floyd's life though, "If it makes dollars it makes sense." The ODLH rematch will sell well and the Hatton fight was a zoo, but he really doesn't have that many more huge fights in the future. Cotto can draw in NYC but not Vegas, Pac might not be an unrealistic option.

The opening line would be somewhere around:
PBF: -325
Pac: +250

Back