Pacquiao/Mayweather to be finalized within 7-10 days

Lots of other fights didn't - Ali/Frazier (ok Ali wasn't in his prime really, but that was just bad luck), Ali/Foreman, Hagler/Hitman, Leonard/Duran, Leonard/Hearns, Holyfield/Bowe, Lewis/Vitali, Trinidad/DLH.

Glad you agree with me.

Lewis was literally retired when he fought Vitali, so thats a bad example, but I see what you're saying.

Its still a good fight. Its not on the level of Lewis vs Tyson in terms of timing. Both guys still have plenty left.

I do agree it would have been a good fight a few years ago, but its more than relevant now. Possibly bigger considering it'll have HBO and Showtime promotion.

man i hope so.

5-6 years i back i might have favored pacman, so fast and explosive plus a good chin...now, i think floyd UD's him. who knows though, floyd didnt look to spectacular against maidana. either way, im pumped if it happens

So instead of telling the press reasons why this might not happen, Pac is telling us he thinks it will happen. Either this fight is going to happen or the Pac team hired a PR guy.

---

Pacquiao, the eight division world champion sounded upbeat when he told us

who knows though, floyd didnt look to spectacular against maidana.
Quite so. Something tells me that Manny will not be content to just stand around and let Floyd run away then clinch up whenever he feels a punch coming for 12 rounds.

Quite so. Something tells me that Manny will not be content to just stand around and let Floyd run away then clinch up whenever he feels a punch coming for 12 rounds.
Pacquiao was clueless when Bradley clinched him.

The thing with Maidana is, that while Pacquiao is a more complete fighter, Maidana does have some tools that Pac doesn't really seem to use. Maidana is much better at cutting off a ring than Pac is and probably has a better jab too.

Cutting off the ring vs Floyd is one of the keys to beating him IMO. Pac is not really strong in that aspect. I recall lateral movement from Mosley being all it took to suck all the action right out of that fight.

I also think Floyd has been fighting guys who will better prepare him for Pacquiao than vice versa. Floyd knows how to fight aggressive fighters.

The thing with Maidana is, that while Pacquiao is a more complete fighter, Maidana does have some tools that Pac doesn't really seem to use. Maidana is much better at cutting off a ring than Pac is and probably has a better jab too.

Cutting off the ring vs Floyd is one of the keys to beating him IMO. Pac is not really strong in that aspect. I recall lateral movement from Mosley being all it took to suck all the action right out of that fight.

I also think Floyd has been fighting guys who will better prepare him for Pacquiao than vice versa. Floyd knows how to fight aggressive fighters.

None of those guys are anywhere near the nightmare that Manny is, though.

Floyd may have to pull a magic trick to eek out a UD in this one.

None of those guys are anywhere near the nightmare that Manny is, though.

Floyd may have to pull a magic trick to eek out a UD in this one.

I've thought since day one that Floyd would make Manny look really bad. Floyd knows how to stall aggression. He knows how to clinch and Pac doesn't really seem to know what to do when a guy clinches. His (floyd) footwork is still pretty solid, speed seems to still be there etc.

I just don't think Pac is versatile enough to pull it off.

Pac will likely get a judge who scores crowd reaction in there and the scores will be absurdly close, but Floyd will school him I think.

Last edited:

I agree that someone looking to beat Floyd should back him into a corner, and you raise a good point there; while Pac is aggressive, it's mostly in terms of things like throwing a combination and then angling off as the opponent either covers or attempts to counter, not cutting off the ring. Mayweather is probably too smart to let him do that, and he certainly isn't going to stand in place and get punched without adjusting distance or positioning the way Brandon Rios did (I watched the HBO highlights for that fight on youtube, fucking merciless).

Ultimately, though, I don't think what Pac does matters so much as what he does after Mayweather answers it, which he almost certainly will as the most well-rounded, adaptable boxer in recent memory.

One gameplan really isn't enough to beat Mayweather, I don't think.

Agree. Thats why Cotto was competitive with Floyd, because he could come in and throw big punches, was good at cutting off the ring and then could box when that stopped working for the moment.

Manny may be overall the best guy Floyd has fought, but I don't think he excels in the aspects necessary to beat him.

does manny being southpaw sway any of yalls confidence in floyd? whose the last southpaw floyd fought? guerrero? floyd was popping that straight right and dodging the counter left by robert pretty damn well (obviously robert isnt manny but still)

Floyd has always been far better than Pacquiao on the inside. Pacquiao doesn't really fight on the inside, at all.

I've thought since day one that Floyd would make Manny look really bad. Floyd knows how to stall aggression. He knows how to clinch and Pac doesn't really seem to know what to do when a guy clinches. His (floyd) footwork is still pretty solid, speed seems to still be there etc.

I just don't think Pac is versatile enough to pull it off.

Pac will likely get a judge who scores crowd reaction in there and the scores will be absurdly close, but Floyd will school him I think.

I think this is one of those fights that have lots of close rounds, where Floyd may have to take the last two to win it, which I believe he would.

I do agree that Manny likely won't have enough tools in the box to win a decision, but a KO isn't impossible in this one.

does manny being southpaw sway any of yalls confidence in floyd? whose the last southpaw floyd fought? guerrero? floyd was popping that straight right and dodging the counter left by robert pretty damn well (obviously robert isnt manny but still)

He's had trouble with southpaws but slicker guys than PAc.

Nope...you'll need several.

One of Mayweather's greatest attributes (in addition to his boxing acumen,) is his ability to adjust and time his opponents.

The first several rounds may be close, and he'll lose several of them (as we saw in the first Maidana fight, SSM, Robert pre crossfit Guerrero, and Zab Judah)...

after he gets his timing down, the fight is pretty much a shut out...

someone should actually get the stats on this ...

how many rounds has Mayweather lost after round 5?

If Pacquiao and Roach can't bring a "Plan B, or Plan C" to the table, this is going to be a very lopsided decision victory for Mayweather.

Pac is unorthodox, southpaw, fights in flurries, and has blinding speed...but that won't be enough.

Someone mentioned it earlier, but Cotto had probably some of the best success against Mayweather we've seen since the first Castillo fight. And it's precisely becasue Cotto has numerous tools in his arsenal.

Pac would slickly knock Zab and Corley cold in the same night

No one made any argument for or against that.

Zab is a slick counter puncher and probably faster in many aspects, nothing like Pac at all.

I just can see Mayweather figuring Pac out early and Manny not having a plan b and losing by 5 rounds. I dont think Manny has the power to ko Floyd.

moneys gonna whoop his ass with right hand leads and counters, and then whoop his ass on the inside too. Floyd wont KO him, he doesnt have the one punch power even on a perfectly timed counter, and even if he does hurt him he wont go after him, too dangerous. Pacquiao could KO floyd though. I can see mayweather getting hurt or buckled a straight left directly on the chin, and manny swarming him. still i have faith in my boy MONEY (and 4, 50$ dollar bets)

moneys gonna whoop his ass with right hand leads and counters, and then whoop his ass on the inside too. Floyd wont KO him, he doesnt have the one punch power even on a perfectly timed counter, and even if he does hurt him he wont go after him, too dangerous. Pacquiao could KO floyd though. I can see mayweather getting hurt or buckled a straight left directly on the chin, and manny swarming him. still i have faith in my boy MONEY (and 4, 50$ dollar bets)
Pac has no inside fighting skills, Floyd is very good inside.

Pac hasn't KO'd anyone in years. I doubt Floyd would be the guy to break that streak for him.

As much of a Pac fan I am, I see Mayweather's lead right eating Pac up. It would make Pac hesitant and less willing to engage. In my opinion, I see a 8-4 UD for Money.

Back