Pacquiao-Hatton.

Hatton was a good fighter, probably still one of the 10 best JWWs of all time. He broke Tszyu and Malignaggi and beat all comers to his titles. The only guy to beat him at 140 is one of the best fighters of the era.

Really? Or still trying to find a career defining fight for Floyd?

oh man, didn't know he did that. holy crap that's horrible. what kind of trainer does that?

It was because FM Sr was pissed off with Ricky for not following the game plan. On the Sky broadcast, just after the fight, there's a woman (TV producer maybe) asking him for an interview and he says no.

He just clears off after that. Real bad look.

but then again, hatton's first trainer said he and ricky never even talked after the mayweather fight, which sounded like a dick move on ricky's part to me. the guy brought him up, all the way to the biggest fight of his career, and when they lose, hatton just fucks off. i don't know if they ever reconciled later, but even at the time it sounded pretty shitty.

That was quite the tumultuous period for Ricky and relationships. The fall out with Billy Graham was due to a pay disagreement with Ricky's Dad, then Ricky fell out with his parents and didn't speak to them in 9 years.

He's reconciled with his parents but don't know about Graham. Sad all round.

Hatton was a good fighter, probably still one of the 10 best JWWs of all time. He broke Tszyu and Malignaggi and beat all comers to his titles. The only guy to beat him at 140 is one of the best fighters of the era.

This!!! No one beats a prime Manny at this weightclass. He had otherworldly speed and footwork

Some Hatton fans bitch bout Joe Cortez the ref in his bout with Mayweather. Cortez stepped in and broke them up every time Ricky started holding and hitting and wrestling. I agreed with Cortez for once what Ricky was trying too do was illegal. I respect hatton bur some of his fights were ugly.
That's not really what happened. Most of those clinches were initiated by Mayweather because they'd already agreed with the ref that as soon as a clinch happens break it. That way they didn't let Ricky work in close up. Of course Hatton detractors will just say that Ricky used to do a lot of hitting and holding. The fact remains Cortez never let them work out of the clinch which clearly favoured Mayweather. All Mayweather had to do when Ricky got in close was clinch him up and then he knew that Cortez would break them immediately and reset them at a distance favourable to Mayweather.

Why was Pacquiao able to destroy Hatton like he did? Was it because of the problems Hatton had in training? Or was he just tailor-made for Pacquiao?

Hatton and Floyd Sr came in there overlooking Pacman big time, and they paid the price. I dont even think they took training seriously.

Hatton was tailored for Pacman, he kept rushing in with his hands down. Also Hatton had real short arms even shorter than Mannys so you know he never stood a chance.

He tired his best and that as to try to bully and smother Pac and wear him out but Pac just lit him up everytime he tried to come in.

Also that was the most aggressive Pacman, if you saw the times Hatton tied up Pacman would yank his arms out and just unleash, Pacman doesn't do that anymore he just lets guys tie him up and waits for the ref to break it.

With Hatton he was like a Tasmanian devil in there. I remember watching that fight live and was blown away it was like Pacman was amped up on ten red bulls, he was a buzzsaw.

That's not really what happened. Most of those clinches were initiated by Mayweather because they'd already agreed with the ref that as soon as a clinch happens break it. That way they didn't let Ricky work in close up. Of course Hatton detractors will just say that Ricky used to do a lot of hitting and holding. The fact remains Cortez never let them work out of the clinch which clearly favoured Mayweather. All Mayweather had to do when Ricky got in close was clinch him up and then he knew that Cortez would break them immediately and reset them at a distance favourable to Mayweather.
Mayweather was a smart fighter and what ricky was trying too do is illegal.

Unfortunately for Hatton he got Pacquiao near the peak of his career

That was quite the tumultuous period for Ricky and relationships. The fall out with Billy Graham was due to a pay disagreement with Ricky's Dad, then Ricky fell out with his parents and didn't speak to them in 9 years.

He's reconciled with his parents but don't know about Graham. Sad all round.
i just googled for a bit, it turns out graham sued hatton for 1.4M, hatton's team sued graham for 30M, but the 1.4M lawsuit got settled. i also found another article saying they reconciled and are friends again. hatton seemed really happy about it.

i hate to see shit like that happen. you work with someone for over a decade, you reach the pinnacle of the sport, you lose the biggest fight, and then you bicker about cash and burn all bridges. that's just ridiculous. you're all sitting on a bag of money, and you can't work it out? with your best friend? fuck off.

GGG did the same with abel. it's just so unnecessary.

Collazo is one of my favorite fighters. He's not some bum. And a nice guy too actually.

Truth is truth. I don't like overrated brits
563069.jpg

Tailor made. Hatton didnt have much defense at all. He was an offensive machine but Manny is better in pretty much every single category. Especially speed.

Was just reading one of Thomas Hauser's boxing books and it covers the Pac Hatton fight. The build up for that was the opposite of that.
Hatton and his fans believed he was going to be bigger and stronger and that Pac wouldn't be able to cope at 140lbs (Despite as Hatton pointed out, Pac already fought at WW) he cited Morales and Marquez as why he'd be successful in just pressuring the shit out of Pac and it was a foregone conclusion that Hatton was going to do whatever he wanted in that fight and just run Pacquiao over.

Then Pac hit Hatton so hard he woke up a 230lb Diabetic

he cited Morales and Marquez as why he'd be successful in just pressuring the shit out of PAC

Interesting but I don’t see the logic in following Marquez lead.

Marquez was a counter puncher as we all know.

Also Morales fought one of his most intelligent fights against Pac, he’d just got done getting into an ill advised brawl with Barrera again and wasn’t going to make the same mistake again, though he did have some moments or reckless aggression. He also had a reach advantage.

Interesting but I don’t see the logic in following Marquez lead.

Marquez was a counter puncher as we all know.

Also Morales fought one of his most intelligent fights against Pac, he’d just got done getting into an ill advised brawl with Barrera again and wasn’t going to make the same mistake again, though he did have some moments or reckless aggression. He also had a reach advantage.

Let it never be said that Ricky Hatton is a man of great intelligence.

Then Pac hit Hatton so hard he woke up a 230lb Diabetic

Fookin lol.

As for the rest of your post, I remember. Going into the fight it seemed like a pickem fight that should have been a classic slug fest. 50/50ish

I always knew Hatton couldn't deal with the speed and movement tho. Floyd made him look so foolish at times, widely missing. Mostly because of footwork and speed.

Manny might not have great defense, but his movement and ability to create angles is GOAT level

Mayweather was a smart fighter and what ricky was trying too do is illegal.
How would you know what Ricky was trying to do because he never was allowed to work out of the clinch? Most refs give the fighter a few seconds at least to see if they can free their arms but Cortez broke them almost immediately when the clinch started.

How would you know what Ricky was trying to do because he never was allowed to work out of the clinch? Most refs give the fighter a few seconds at least to see if they can free their arms but Cortez broke them almost immediately when the clinch started.
What ricky was trying too do was hook mays arms and then release the hold and hit may on the side of the head on the way out. I have never seen a major fighter hold and hit like ricky did and always gey away with.

With a different ref ricky may of survived 12 rounds but not get close too winning.

The british ref in rickys fight with Tszyu was a disgrace.

You don't have too answer if you don't want too but are you British??

What ricky was trying too do was hook mays arms and then release the hold and hit may on the side of the head on the way out. I have never seen a major fighter hold and hit like ricky did and always gey away with.

With a different ref ricky may of survived 12 rounds but not get close too winning.

The british ref in rickys fight with Tszyu was a disgrace.

You don't have too answer if you don't want too but are you British??
I am british but that doesn't mean I'm not right. Ricky did hit and hold and yes he got away with a lot in the Tszyu fight BUT it was obvious the Joe Cortez was bought and paid for by Mayweather. Do I think Hatton would have beaten Mayweather? No but it would have made for a fairer fight. If you think a fighter is dirty then penalise him when he does wrong. You can't penalise someone if he hasn't actually committed a foul just based on him often fouling in the past. The reffing was shockingly biased in Mayweather's favour.

I am british but that doesn't mean I'm not right. Ricky did hit and hold and yes he got away with a lot in the Tszyu fight BUT it was obvious the Joe Cortez was bought and paid for by Mayweather. Do I think Hatton would have beaten Mayweather? No but it would have made for a fairer fight. If you think a fighter is dirty then penalise him when he does wrong. You can't penalise someone if he hasn't actually committed a foul just based on him often fouling in the past. The reffing was shockingly biased in Mayweather's favour.
Theres a difference between fighting inside and hooking the other guys arm so he cant protect his head. If anything Cortez made it a fair fight.

Theres a difference between fighting inside and hooking the other guys arm so he cant protect his head. If anything Cortez made it a fair fight.
Cortez let Mayweather hold Hatton over and over. Then break them straight away so Hatton couldn't work. The ref didn't warn Mayweather once for initiating the holding. That's anything but fair.

Back