Pacman to fight two times in 2013

I think Manny will end up somewhere between 20 and 25, not much higher though; people tend to forget what titans he'll be competing with for the top spots on the p4p list.

You'd have to pretty much ignore his career to believe this.

Personally, I don't think it matters much. Pac's worldwide popularity is matched only by Klitschko, because he doesn't avoid any challenge and his style is exciting. In 20 years, today's boxing fans will be talking about him as much or more than they'll be talking about any of his contemporaries.

so you wouldnt consider manny an all time great? in 20 years time, his name will be up their, maybe below mayweather and marquez. wouldnt you agree. guys with alot more loses, less impressive wins and less titles have made it as greats.

Nah, no way he's remembered beneath Marquez, or actually... Marquez, I really don't know where to put him in the annals of boxing history, much to my distaste he's always fought in the shadow of the Baby Faced Assasssin and El Terrible, he has a good, but not great record with some questionable defeats, but those terribly close fights with Pac (regardless of them being losses) punctuated by that devastating, highly conclusive KO really puts him up there. Anyways, that was irrelevant, Pacquiao will be up there with Mayweather. I don't know what happens to Marquez, but I doubt he'll be remembered in the same regard as either PBF or Pac.

@Pville, would you really rank Pac anywhere near top 10? My knowledge of boxing history isn't the best, but I'm confident I could pull ten fighters out of my ass that deserve a seat higher than the Pac Man.

edit:
Also would like to add that popularity =/= ATG. I don't think there's been a boxer outside the HW div that's gained as much international acclaim as Pacquiao has. Maybe I'm wrong. ODLH was kinda the man.

@Pville, would you really rank Pac anywhere near top 10? My knowledge of boxing history isn't the best, but I'm confident I could pull ten fighters out of my ass that deserve a seat higher than the Pac Man.

edit:
Also would like to add that popularity =/= ATG. I don't think there's been a boxer outside the HW div that's gained as much international acclaim as Pacquiao has. Maybe I'm wrong. ODLH was kinda the man.

Yeah, I'd put him really friggin close to top 10, but I don't have an actual list so I hope you don't challenge that much further :p My point on popularity was just what you mentioned. Regardless of his ATG status, he's going to be remembered for the fighter he is. It's a choice that great fighters have - to take the risks and be the "warrior" kind of fighter that most fans appreciate or to protect the W/L record and line up match-ups that protect a legacy.

If Marquez had "found" his power sooner, his legacy would certainly be different. I'm not sure where I'd place him now.

I'd pick Pac over Duran and Armstrong and think Leonard would have a very tough time with it. Hearns would be Pac's toughest fight IMO. You have a huge welterweight who's size, speed, and power would be hard for Pac to deal with in a firefight.

Leonard would destroy pacquiao as would Hearns.

Leonard would destroy pacquiao as would Hearns.

It's all speculation. But I see Pac/Leonard as a closer fight than most do. I do believe Leonard would win. If anyone was going to "destroy" Pacquiao, Hearns would be the guy. Very bad style and size match up for Manny. I still think he'd make Hearns work for it though.

It's all speculation. But I see Pac/Leonard as a closer fight than most do. I do believe Leonard would win. If anyone was going to "destroy" Pacquiao, Hearns would be the guy. Very bad style and size match up for Manny. I still think he'd make Hearns work for it though.

True. Hearns with his size and power would give anyone at that weight fits. But sugar dealt with him.

Leonard would be a bad fight for manny. If they were around at the same time manny would stay at lower weights and carve a legacy. The bobster wouldnt let him near those guys.

Every forum I've ever been to is obsessed with Pac aside from this one which is balanced.

I saw several people at boxingscene who thought Bradley won. Usually when its discussed, there are a few people who saw it for Bradley but then everyone brings up polls and press row and says no one but me saw it as a close fight.

Today Pacquiao is "the greatest fighter who ever lived"....10 years ago it was De la Hoya.....20 years ago it was Mike Tyson and before that it was Sugar Ray Leonard. Ten years for now someone named Seymore Pendowski will be "the greatest fighter who ever lived".....blah, blah, blah

Today Pacquiao is "the greatest fighter who ever lived"....10 years ago it was De la Hoya.....20 years ago it was Mike Tyson and before that it was Sugar Ray Leonard. Ten years for now someone named Seymore Pendowski will be "the greatest fighter who ever lived".....blah, blah, blah

Based on the amount of threads started in this forum I'm pretty sure Tyson is still the goat.

I don't see it to be honest,while he would always be competitive and exciting I think prime for prime plenty of fighters at 147 beat him.
Leonard and Hearns definitely,Duran Oscar Mosley I would have him an underdog
I think Manny is a great exciting fighter but his career since the Oscar fight was the result of clever match-making....until his last few fights
People need to fuck off with this never ducked a challenge shit too
Has showed very little interest in fighting Floyd,turned down Mosley to fight Cotto despite Shane being the number one guy and was willing to drop to 140
I think Pacquiao beats Cotto at 154 but he flat out refused that and wanted another catchweight
I also think Whitaker would have beaten him too in a prime head to head

Only Pacquiao fans think this way

I don't see it to be honest,while he would always be competitive and exciting I think prime for prime plenty of fighters at 147 beat him.
Leonard and Hearns definitely,Duran Oscar Mosley I would have him an underdog
I think Manny is a great exciting fighter but his career since the Oscar fight was the result of clever match-making....until his last few fights
People need to fuck off with this never ducked a challenge shit too
Has showed very little interest in fighting Floyd,turned down Mosley to fight Cotto despite Shane being the number one guy and was willing to drop to 140
I think Pacquiao beats Cotto at 154 but he flat out refused that and wanted another catchweight
I also think Whitaker would have beaten him too in a prime head to head

Yeah. A lot of people seem to overlook all of Pacquiao's shortcomings as a fighter. Maybe because they're overly impressed by his offense but his defense and ring generalship come up short to guys with as many fights on their record in a tougher era.

The idea that Pacquiao keeps it competitive against Leonard is laughable. Pacquiao doesn't run over any elite fighters that can box and work behind a jab. Leonard could do all those things on top of being bigger, stronger, and faster. With Ray's mean streak, i'm not sure Pacquiao sees the final bell.

Whitaker boxes circles around Pacquiao. Pac always has problems with guys that can jab and not many do it better than Pete. And Roach would have to match wits with Georgie Benton. Not a good night for Pac, Whitaker would make him look like an amateur.

And the idea that Pacquiao is the greatest offensive fighter of all time is a joke as well. Pacquiao had a hard time getting punches on Mosley when Mosley decided to survive his fight. A little footwork and some pivots negated almost all of Pacquiao's offense in their fight.

Good post Lukewall.

Pac is going to struggle with a lot of different guys because so many ATG welters were also great technical boxers.

I can't imagine how Pac could beat Benitez, Hearns, Leonard,Whitaker etc.

Those fighters all had too many tools that Pac has problems with .

If people would pick some great featherweights or even lightweights, I think this would be a better discussion. At welter, the ATGs are too much for Pacquiao.

Better fights would be Pac vs Gomez. Pac vs Sanchez. PAc vs Nelson.

I can't seriously consider Hearns vs Pac a real fight.

Yeah. A lot of people seem to overlook all of Pacquiao's shortcomings as a fighter. Maybe because they're overly impressed by his offense but his defense and ring generalship come up short to guys with as many fights on their record in a tougher era.

The idea that Pacquiao keeps it competitive against Leonard is laughable. Pacquiao doesn't run over any elite fighters that can box and work behind a jab. Leonard could do all those things on top of being bigger, stronger, and faster. With Ray's mean streak, i'm not sure Pacquiao sees the final bell.

Whitaker boxes circles around Pacquiao. Pac always has problems with guys that can jab and not many do it better than Pete. And Roach would have to match wits with Georgie Benton. Not a good night for Pac, Whitaker would make him look like an amateur.

And the idea that Pacquiao is the greatest offensive fighter of all time is a joke as well. Pacquiao had a hard time getting punches on Mosley when Mosley decided to survive his fight. A little footwork and some pivots negated almost all of Pacquiao's offense in their fight.

The idea of a Whitaker-Pacquiao fight make me wet.

Pacquiao would dominate any sugar ray Leonard...especially the one who fought hearns, Duran 1, and ladonde.

Back