Pac vs Rios - Fight discussion

And Pac's style is pretty straight forward, devastating but straight foward. Canelo has more variety to his game than Pac and look what happened to him.

And you just lost all credibility with these two statements. Pac can brawl, box, and come from many different angles. Everyone that fights him can never find a sparring partner that can mimic him because he has speed, power, and foot work.

Rio's stated post fight that he had fast sparring partners and after fighting Pac he was still amazed by his speed. Rios, Clottely, and Marg always give guys tough close fights, Pac completely shuts them out.

Canelo more variety than Pac?!

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
U are underestimating Roach's game plan and Manny's smarts. He would never go straight at Floyd. He used Rios as a good sparring session to acclimate into his more lateral bobbing/weaving approach.

I think your overestimating Manny's ability to adapt to a fighter who can fight in the amount ways Floyd can.

He did?? I don't know whether to feel bad for him or laugh at him

I kinda feel bad for the guy but at the same time why is he boxing then ? The guy traveled across the world to quit on his stool after taking some shots ? The guy actually showed some skills so im not sure what happened there.If your heart is not in it , just retire.

I just rewatched the fight. Pac looked better than what I thought last night. He still has the speed in his footwork and combinations. He was throwing 3-4-5-6 punch combos. You have to credit Rios for having a iron chin. He ate a ton of clean hard punches.

Manny's really developed his counter straight left and his right handed jab. He threw 790 punches! I think his power has definitely dropped a little bit but overall he is still near top level. Bring on JMM 5 or Mayweather. I don't really care for a Bradley rematch.

Anyone surprised how well Rios took Pac's punches without getting hurt or even wobbled ? Is rios that tough or Pac just doesnt punch as hard as people think ? Lol he even said he didn't feel Pacs power in the post fight interview.

Anyone surprised how well Rios took Pac's punches without getting hurt or even wobbled ? Is rios that tough or Pac just doesnt punch as hard as people think ? Lol he even said he didn't feel Pacs power in the post fight interview.

Come on. What he did to Cotto, Marg, Diaz, Hatton, etc. were mere incidental?

I can sense the blatant discreditation here. Pac obviously leaned up this fight as you can tell he's less bulky. That and Rios' relative size discrepancy might have a little to do with it. Besides Pac could've finished if he wasn't extra cautious knowing a lot was weighing on this fight.

Come on. What he did to Cotto, Marg, Diaz, Hatton, etc. were mere incidental?

I can sense the blatant discreditation here. Pac obviously leaned up this fight as you can tell he's less bulky. That and Rios' relative size discrepancy might have a little to do with it. Besides Pac could've finished if he wasn't extra cautious knowing a lot was weighing on this fight.

I don't believe that. If Pac could have ko'd Rios , he would have done it.

And you just lost all credibility with these two statements. Pac can brawl, box, and come from many different angles. Everyone that fights him can never find a sparring partner that can mimic him because he has speed, power, and foot work.

Canelo more variety than Pac?!

:rolleyes:

Oh no not my forum cred.... lol
Anyways..... Canelo can brawl, box, has power, different angles, goes to the body better, can pressure and cut off the ring, can lean on guys and physically impose his will on them, can roll and slip punches inside and outside of the pocket, can counter punch, fight in the phone booth etc.... Pac is an effective boxer when he's fighting Rios, Marg, Clottey etc..., but he has had difficulty being as effective against guys that can actually move and counter punch. Canelo's showing against trout displayed his ability to box, and although outmatched he did box with Floyd for large portions of their fight and had a respectable showing considering his opponent. If Pac were to ever attempt to do the same against Mayweather he would be made to look like a fool.

And I agree people have difficultly duplicating Pacs foot speed/hand speed and power, but that does not negate the fact that Pac style of fighting at his best is pretty straight forward. In and out, speed/power combinations, multiple angles, try to draw fighter into a war, death by accumulation. I think your confusing the word simple with straight forward.

Last edited:
Interesting quote from the post fight presser from Rios:

"Motherf%cker is fast," and "I didn't try to go for the knock-out because I'd probably get knocked out myself," says Brandon 'Bam Bam' Rios after his fight with Manny Pacquiao.

He only sat down on a handful of punches, rest of the time he was hitting and moving. Not surprised he didn't get hurt.

You`re comparing Baldo to Clottey:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Come on man. Thats a joke.

You are probably not aware that Clottey lost to Baldomir so I'll let that pass.

Even if you did know, what was Clottey's best win? Judah? Sorry. Baldo fought and beat a "fresher" Judah.

I'm not much of a boxing fan, so I don't know anything about Rios. Was he ever a legitimate threat to Manny, or just a relative can to give him a relatively easy W?

I'm not much of a boxing fan, so I don't know anything about Rios. Was he ever a legitimate threat to Manny, or just a relative can to give him a relatively easy W?

That was a tune up fight. Always would have been. Perfect Pac opponent.

Slim you're like Manny's internet secret service. "Protect Manny! Protect our savior at all costs!!!"

Just let one mildly negative thing slide. Just one. I dare you.

You`re comparing Baldo to Clottey:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol: Come on man. Thats a joke.

The Marquez win can`t really be taken seriously considering that Marquez was moving up in weight and Floyd also didn`t even make weight. Too big a size differential and it showed.

You listing guys like Genaro Hernandez and Baldomir just shows your grasping for straws. In that case I might as well list guys like Oscar Larios and David Diaz for Pac.

Also your fresher argument only applies to Hatton who was stopped by Floyd. DLH and Mosley just lost decisions to Floyd. DLH only lost a split dec to Floyd and was actually the favorite over Pac when they fought (Pac was moving up from 35 to 47, everyone thought the much bigger dlh would crush him). DLH and Mosley both fought Pac only a year after losing decisions to Floyd.

I called Cotto fresher against Manny because Manny destroyed him nearly 3 years before he fought Floyd.

Pac: Moralesx3, Barrerax2, Marquezx4, a fresher Cotto, Margarito, Clottey, Hatton, Bradley, DLH, Mosley, Larios, Diaz.

Mayweather: DLH, Castillox2, Corrales, Judah, older Cotto, Mosley, Hatton, Baldo, Hernandez, Marquez.

I see big 18 fights on Manny`s list to 11 for Mayweathers. Looks like my post holds up fine.

This is so bad. Why is Clottey better in any way than Baldomir? I want you to actually explain why you believe a win over Clottey can't be compared to a win over Baldomir. Either explain that or just don't post on the topic any more.

Yea Floyd fighting Genaro Hernandez at 21 was a joke. I would bet any amount of money you've never heard of Genaro Hernandez. You just went on a box rec binge for this post.

Back