Pac-Sub this weekend?

MokeGrappler

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Anyone here competing in Pac-Sub? They got that mma/fitness expo thing going on as well, its gonna be pretty big (for Hawaii) i've heard.

Anyone here competing in Pac-Sub? They got that mma/fitness expo thing going on as well, its gonna be pretty big (for Hawaii) i've heard.

I'll be there. Competing and getting as much pictures and autographs as I can. First competition as a purple but as they say, no guts, no glory. I plan on using my newly acquired judo skills and will absolutely refuse to pull guard no matter what. Should be a good tournament.

I'll be there. Competing and getting as much pictures and autographs as I can. First competition as a purple but as they say, no guts, no glory. I plan on using my newly acquired judo skills and will absolutely refuse to pull guard no matter what. Should be a good tournament.

Good luck.

I also just competed in my first purple belt tourney. (Pan ams)

I was going to use my new judo skills too. I wound up pulling guard twice out of 4 matches. My plan was to get the take down, pass, mount, and go for submission. But I couldn't get my first opponent down at all. After about 2 minutes of standing I jumped to guard and armbarred him. Then a guy jumped guard on me. Third match I went to my favorite wrestling move; the single leg. I was so tired the guy reversed me and I submitted him from guard. My fourth match was against a guy who I knew was going to jump to guard. So I changed my strategy and jumped to guard myself. I almost finished him. He wound up passing my guard and beating me. I got a silver medal.

"absolutely refuse to pull guard no matter what"

Even if it costs you the victory? I really wanted to use osoto gari. I practiced hard and was determined to use it. It was like folding a pair of Aces when there are 4 clubs on the board and people are raising. (Texas hold em analogy)

Anyway, good luck man. You seem like a good guy to train with. I remember you writing about how to act as a big guy. (Gentle, guard work, no weight, get people to want to train with you) That was good advice you gave that big new guy.

Let us know how you did.

Autographs, whose gonna be there? Anyway, good luck! This'll be my first big tournament and i hope i dont get to much lickings.

You weigh in at OTM?

Wow, i hope you did better than me...

This was humiliating for me. I entered Juniors but somehow got paired up with an adult and got slammed 15 to 0. It was very discouraging. THEN, i fight someone two years younger and much lighter than me and lose 4 to 0, this tournament sucked today. Hopefully i do better in no gi...

Good luck.

I also just competed in my first purple belt tourney. (Pan ams)

I was going to use my new judo skills too. I wound up pulling guard twice out of 4 matches. My plan was to get the take down, pass, mount, and go for submission. But I couldn't get my first opponent down at all. After about 2 minutes of standing I jumped to guard and armbarred him. Then a guy jumped guard on me. Third match I went to my favorite wrestling move; the single leg. I was so tired the guy reversed me and I submitted him from guard. My fourth match was against a guy who I knew was going to jump to guard. So I changed my strategy and jumped to guard myself. I almost finished him. He wound up passing my guard and beating me. I got a silver medal.

"absolutely refuse to pull guard no matter what"

Even if it costs you the victory? I really wanted to use osoto gari. I practiced hard and was determined to use it. It was like folding a pair of Aces when there are 4 clubs on the board and people are raising. (Texas hold em analogy)

Anyway, good luck man. You seem like a good guy to train with. I remember you writing about how to act as a big guy. (Gentle, guard work, no weight, get people to want to train with you) That was good advice you gave that big new guy.

Let us know how you did.

Yes, even if it costs me the victory I pledge not to pull guard for the next two years. That was the first four years of my competitve career in grappling. I took judo to improve my grappling game and plan on being more well rounded.

As for the tournament.

I went down in age got second in masters. I guess there just aren't too many senior I / Executives competing these days. I did not pull guard as promised but could not get a decent throw today. My grip fighting was much improved though and my sprawl was good enough to defeat three takedowns.

They also gave me a first place in my division when the competitor failed to weigh in or come to the tournament. I don't know what happened. But I got a first and second for my school.

I am happy with my take down and throws attempts. I was close to my sesai, otso gari combo and the technique I learned from sherdogger bubbleboy which is a sacrifice throw that I like. I felt much more confident today with standup/ judo for jiu jitsu and pledge again not to pull guard for two years to become more well rounded.

My judo instructor got to check where I went wrong but I am happy and pledge for the next two tournaments not to pull guard.

Yes, even if it costs me the victory I pledge not to pull guard for the next two years. That was the first four years of my competitve career in grappling. I took judo to improve my grappling game and plan on being more well rounded.

As for the tournament.

I went down in age got second in masters. I guess there just aren't too many senior I / Executives competing these days. I did not pull guard as promised but could not get a decent throw today. My grip fighting was much improved though and my sprawl was good enough to defeat three takedowns.

They also gave me a first place in my division when the competitor failed to weigh in or come to the tournament. I don't know what happened. But I got a first and second for my school.

I am happy with my take down and throws attempts. I was close to my sesai, otso gari combo and the technique I learned from sherdogger bubbleboy which is a sacrifice throw that I like. I felt much more confident today with standup/ judo for jiu jitsu and pledge again not to pull guard for two years to become more well rounded.

My judo instructor got to check where I went wrong but I am happy and pledge for the next two tournaments not to pull guard.

Haha i got mega-pwned/humbled, glad it went well for you. Are you doing no-gi?

Haha i got mega-pwned/humbled, glad it went well for you. Are you doing no-gi?

No, I work two part time jobs tomorrow. 7a.m. - 3 p.m. then wash my clothes and then work 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. I probaby stop at the after party though. Long day for me on Sundays, then work my regular full time job on Monday to Friday. Its hard work paying for a place in Hawaii I tell you.

Good luck in the no gi tomorrow.

you did well bob. he was a tough guy, and for the sherdoggers, if bob pulled guard, he wouldve won no doubt, but he stayed true to his words. you the man.

Congrats to all the competitors. Moke, don't worry man. You'll look back on this as a learning experience.

JJMTguy, that's awesome. Way to stick to your game plan. You show real dedication. I think I'm going to work more on my judo too.

you did well bob. he was a tough guy, and for the sherdoggers, if bob pulled guard, he wouldve won no doubt, but he stayed true to his words. you the man.

Thanks Brett and Bill.

I'm really happy with the grip fighting and hand positioning.

No, I work two part time jobs tomorrow. 7a.m. - 3 p.m. then wash my clothes and then work 6 p.m. - 10 p.m. I probaby stop at the after party though. Long day for me on Sundays, then work my regular full time job on Monday to Friday. Its hard work paying for a place in Hawaii I tell you.

Good luck in the no gi tomorrow.

Thanks, today was significantly better than yesterday, although, unlike you i was a complete guard player haha, it was fun though much better than yesterday.

Thanks, today was significantly better than yesterday, although, unlike you i was a complete guard player haha, it was fun though much better than yesterday.

Work on your takedowns and work for better position whether it be top or bottom. Don't just pull guard. You got 34 days until the Maui event with Limao. See you there.

Back