P4P Non-Champion Rankings

Oh, and Barao has an interim belt, which means pretty much nothing.

Considering how much longer Cruz is likely to be out, Barao should be be considered the champion - and because of this reason he actually is THE champion now. Cruz is no longer. That's one of the reasons there are interim titles.

How long do you think someone should be allowed to sit out and still be champion? There has to be some finite time period or else someone could be "champion" for years while doing exactly nothing.

I forgot about Hendo. Pretty badass that he's so old and he can still hang with the best.

if we're talking all time and not current?

he's #1 p4p...You could not find a career resume that defines the term better.

1 lb. of Sonnen still gets subbed or outboxed by 1/2 lb. of plenty of fighters. That's always been the case, even with his last win streak. I've never seen a clearer case of "hype train," seeing as the best thing he ever did was lay on Anderson for 4.5 rounds. Now he's fighting the LHW champion. P4P best self-promoter maybe.

Oh, and Barao has an interim belt, which means pretty much nothing. Do you consider Condit a former UFC champion even though he didn't beat GSP? Hell no. That's just a title invented to help hype fights.

no no no...

sonnen put the spider on his back for the nearly 5 whole rounds... wheather he lay on him or not the spider didnt get up at will... not only that hes the only fighter to go after silva like he did...

thats pound for pound.

cruz has a belt... this aint sherdog rankings

My idea of "pound for pound" leans heavily on skill and consistency.

5. Cruz: Although he hasn't lost, he's technically not the champion anymore due to his inactivity. He won fights using speed, skill, and strategy. He liked to confuse his opponents with unexpected angles and game plans. He cleaned out his division and never lost. That's some real P4P stuff right there.

what consistency are u recommending cruz off exactly... the guy hasnt fought in how long???

If Cruz comes back to fight again in 5 years are you going to consider him the current UFC champion at that time?

Or tell me, at what point does Barao or some other person will you actually consider to be the UFC BW champion while Cruz continues his seemingly endless injury and rehab cycle?

1. Junior Dos Santos
2. Johnny Hendricks
3. Dan Henderson
4. Alistair Overeem
5. Lyoto Machida
6. Rashad Evans
7. Frankie Edgar
8. Nick Diaz
9. Carlos Condit
10. Michael Bisping/Gray Maynard

Last edited:
If Cruz comes back to fight again in 5 years are you going to consider him the current UFC champion at that time?

Or tell me, at what point does Barao or some other person will you actually consider to be the UFC BW champion while Cruz continues his seemingly endless injury and rehab cycle?

were u of the same opinion while gsp was in rehab?

if we're talking all time and not current?

he's #1 p4p...You could not find a career resume that defines the term better.

Depends how much you weight the Nog and Fedor wins. The first Nog win was controversial to say the least and I don't think Nog was ranked yet. Obviously an argument could be made, but I think Hendo's resume may look a little better than it actually is. Undoubtedly top 5 all time p4p, though.

Considering how much longer Cruz is likely to be out, Barao should be be considered the champion - and because of this reason he actually is THE champion now. Cruz is no longer. That's one of the reasons there are interim titles.

How long do you think someone should be allowed to sit out and still be champion? There has to be some finite time period or else someone could be "champion" for years while doing exactly nothing.

I recognize that Cruz has been out a long time and that he will be out longer. I don't think he should be champion. Nor am I trying to diminish Barao's fighting ability. That doesn't change the fact that being "interim champion" means nothing. The UFC literally uses that title to hype people it wants to install as champions, like Brock or Faber.

were u of the same opinion while gsp was in rehab?

I would have been had the circumstances among those 2 fighters been similar enough. GSP had one particular injury, had surgery, and came back on a normal time frame for that injury. Cruz, already out a long time, is now starting all over again.

I would have been had the circumstances among those 2 fighters been similar enough. GSP had one particular injury, had surgery, and came back on a normal time frame for that injury. Cruz, already out a long time, is now starting all over again.

its the same time frame essentially

gsp had an 19 month wait between fights...

cruz will be about the same give or take

no no no...

sonnen put the spider on his back for the nearly 5 whole rounds... wheather he lay on him or not the spider didnt get up at will... not only that hes the only fighter to go after silva like he did...

thats pound for pound.

I don't think what Sonnen did is worth a damn. Not only was it not that impressive, he got subbed and lost the fight. Even if he somehow found a way to win the decision, he still wouldn't be better than Silva. He'd simply be the guy who survived to win a cheap decision with Silva, and he'd lose every rematch.

As for Cruz, I was under the impression that he didn't have a belt anymore. I'll check his Wikipedia page, but he's still off of Sherdog's P4P rankings. That's reason enough to include him in my own.

what consistency are u recommending cruz off exactly... the guy hasnt fought in how long???

When he was fighting, he consistently won using a mix of advanced skill, strategy, and speed. He hasn't lost since then either. He's off the Sherdog P4P rankings due to inactivity, and I was under the impression that he had lost the title as well. For the purposes of this thread, I thought he was a worthy mention.

When he was fighting, he consistently won using a mix of advanced skill, strategy, and speed. He hasn't lost since then either. He's off the Sherdog P4P rankings due to inactivity, and I was under the impression that he had lost the title as well. For the purposes of this thread, I thought he was a worthy mention.

dont get me wrong

CRUZ is very good at what he does... his movement and footwork is OUTSTANDING

however i was pointing out that his fighting consistency you claim of is not there because of injury and in any case he is not eligble for this conversation because he holds a belt just like pegado holds an interim version

dont get me wrong

CRUZ is very good at what he does... his movement and footwork is OUTSTANDING

however i was pointing out that his fighting consistency you claim of is not there because of injury and in any case he is not eligble for this conversation because he holds a belt just like pegado holds an interim version

Ah. Well in that case, once he officially loses the belt, reconsider my post. As for his inactivity, I wouldn't count it against him unless he retired or took a much longer layoff. As far as I know, he's still a professional fighter, undefeated as champion, and he'll be back relatively soon.

thats why its better to watch fights then use fight finder...

So anytime you personally disagree with a decision then that overrides who actually got his hand raised? That's asinine. I thought Edgar should have gotten the decision in the rematch at least, but he didn't, and that's what matters.

Back