1. The official Sherdog Store is back! Check it out! » Discuss it here! »
Violence/Genocide: Do not condone violence or genocide on a person or group of people. You are free to attack a person or groups ideas but you are crossing the line when calling for violence. This will be heavily enforced in threads with breaking news involving victims.

Oxford University Press bans use of pig, sausage or pork-related words

Discussion in 'The War Room' started by [email protected], Jan 15, 2015.

1. IDL Steel Belt

Of all the possible words, I would not have expected to see pork chopped.

Someone should at least start a petition to bring back bacon.

2. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

Oxford Uni. Press went Full Florida.

3. Michaelangelo That doesn't work for me, brother Platinum Member

It's funny how the OP left the Jewish part out. Just wanted to jump on the bandwagon.

4. [email protected] Brown Belt

Uh oh...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. MicroBrew Titanium Belt

It sounds more like Jews were thrown in to cover for this being really about Muslims. If this was equally about not offending Jews, it would have been implemented much earlier.

6. Like A Bas Brown Belt

This is apparently not a reaction to recent events according to the source. That's perhaps an important point.

“OUP’s commitment to academic and educational excellence is absolute. OUP does not have a blanket ban on pigs or pork products in its titles, and contrary to reports, there have been no recent changes to our guidelines in this area. Our materials are sold in nearly 200 countries, and as such, and without compromising our commitment to educational excellence in any way, we encourage some authors of educational materials respectfully to consider cultural differences and sensitivities. Guidelines for our educational materials differ between geographies and do not cover our academic publishing.”

If somebody has the full text and publication date, and other guidelines for comparison, please throw it out there.

7. MortalWombat Vombatus Sherdoggus

This is serious. Please stop these ham-fisted attempts at humour.

8. SirDiddymus Banned Banned

Salami I like em.

9. odog A cat trapped in a dog's body

10. Codger Brown Belt

Has anyone ever met a muslim or jew who was offended by the use of the words pork or pig? (other than obviously using them as terms of abuse).

11. Goonerview Gold Belt

Stick a fork in it, Europe is done!

12. Matt M It is happening again....

I think the point is that the word pig or pork is not offensive in itself at all, only if it was used in certain context.
    Like if for instance it was used in the context of "I'd like to deep throat your disgusting Jewish wife with a sausage and then drown her in bacon fat", then I could see how that could possibly be offensive, but not in this case.

I very much doubt many Muslims would be offended anyway. Only the extremist ones. I very much doubt you could find a single Jew who would care.
    And we keep being told over and over again whenever a terrorist atrocity happens that these extremist Muslims are in the very small minority, so why would anyone even worry or care if they get offended or not??

13. SammyPops Steel Belt

14. Ippwnage Banned Banned

15. irish_thug Meme Mod Staff Member Senior Moderator

I use the word bacon in front of muslims all the time. Often when I'm ordering a breakfast sandwich and coffee.

16. Ippwnage Banned Banned

can you not fucking read. "not good" and condemned are two totally different fucking things. nice try though. He is referencing "matters you wrote about" so i don't see this calling out and condemning pre-marital sex and no one else who is a bible scholar takes it as such.
    the real focus of this is that married people should fuck so no one cheats.

Now for the matters you wrote about: “It is good for a man not to have sexual relations with a woman.” 2 But since sexual immorality is occurring, each man should have sexual relations with his own wife, and each woman with her own husband. 3 The husband should fulfill his marital duty to his wife, and likewise the wife to her husband. 4 The wife does not have authority over her own body but yields it to her husband. In the same way, the husband does not have authority over his own body but yields it to his wife. 5 Do not deprive each other except perhaps by mutual consent and for a time, so that you may devote yourselves to prayer. Then come together again so that Satan will not tempt you because of your lack of self-control. 6 I say this as a concession, not as a command. 7 I wish that all of you were as I am. But each of you has your own gift from God; one has this gift, another has that.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  17. SammyPops Steel Belt

18. Ippwnage Banned Banned

keep breathing your ass air

"Let not the believers (muslims) take the unbelievers for friends, or their companions instead for the believers (muslims): if someone does, then you have no contact with Allah [They
    does not represent islam anymore and can be killed ]: unless muslims take precautions, and plays fake (Guard yourselves from them) [Which means that muslims say that they are unbelievers (non-muslim's) best friends when in fact they hate them ].

One of the so-called largest Islamic commentators and historians of all "Ibn Kathir"commented the above sura (chapter) 3 and verse 28 of the Quran and said that "muslims are allowed to show friendship outwardly, but never inwardly)." . Another renowned scholar among muslims, "Al-Bukhari" commented by saying that "We[muslims] smile in the face of some people[non-muslims] although our hearts curse them".

-from their PROPHET

19. bref Black Belt

I blame white people. The type of white people who bend over backwards and get ass fucked from every direction because they want to look like some sort of liberal accepting humanitarian.

20. Damien Karras Mirabile dictu, don't you agree?

He wants to paint people with the same brush and classify every person as an ideal-type because it is just so much simpler to view the world that way.

Could you imagine having to apply critical thinking, nuances, and post-modern paradigm thinking to everything?? It's scary and off-setting. Being a bigot and not caring too much about the complexity of society requires no thinking. I'd do it too but sadly I read a few books and now I'm tainted.