Owner of Kobe's helicopter not certified to fly in fog

rj144

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
The owner of the helicopter was not certified:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/us/kobe-bryant-crash-flight-certification.html

"When the helicopter carrying the basketball legend Kobe Bryant crashed into a fogbound mountainside on Sunday, killing all nine people onboard, the pilot who was struggling to avoid the clouds did not have the legal authority to navigate with his instruments because the aircraft owner did not have the necessary federal certification, according to three sources familiar with the charter helicopter company’s operations."

what an overall disaster and tragedy. hopefully many learn from their errors.

It's a sad situation but I think that's a little misleading. It could be that the owner just forgot to pay his DMV renewal for example. Or messed up the peperwork or tried to cut corners and not get certification.

It doesn't sound like it was the "pilot" who was imcompetent or couldn't navigate in the fog or that the aircraft was technically unable to fly in it.....it just says he wasn't authorized at the time b/c of some missing certifications.

It's a sad situation but I think that's a little misleading. It could be that the owner just forgot to pay his DMV renewal for example. Or messed up the peperwork or tried to cut corners and not get certification.

It doesn't sound like it was the "pilot" who was imcompetent or couldn't navigate in the fog or that the aircraft was technically unable to fly in it.....it just says he wasn't authorized at the time b/c of some missing certifications.

Keep reading:

"The limitations on Island Express’s operations are not unusual. Another operator at Van Nuys Airport, where the company is based, said none of the charter operators there have gone to the trouble and expense of winning certification for instrument flight, in part because it is normally so simple to navigate at low altitude in Southern California, with its easy-to-follow freeways and sunny weather.

But the new details about Island Express’s F.A.A. certification shed light on the question of why the pilot did not file an instrument flight plan that would have allowed him to climb well above the fog-shrouded hills and head to Camarillo Airport, not far from the basketball tournament where Mr. Bryant and his party were headed."

If they would have been certified, he could have flown above the fog on instruments.

Keep reading:

"The limitations on Island Express’s operations are not unusual. Another operator at Van Nuys Airport, where the company is based, said none of the charter operators there have gone to the trouble and expense of winning certification for instrument flight, in part because it is normally so simple to navigate at low altitude in Southern California, with its easy-to-follow freeways and sunny weather.

But the new details about Island Express’s F.A.A. certification shed light on the question of why the pilot did not file an instrument flight plan that would have allowed him to climb well above the fog-shrouded hills and head to Camarillo Airport, not far from the basketball tournament where Mr. Bryant and his party were headed."

If they would have been certified, he could have flown above the fog on instruments.

So he was IFR rated and was given special VFR. That allows a pilot to make the call and go through fog.

My brother, a pilot, believes he likely got disoriented and started not trusting his instruments. Then started having vestibular illusions leading to a fatal error and crash.

https://www.flightliteracy.com/spatial-disorientation-and-illusions/

I wrote In the other thread I wanna know what happened to cause him to just go straight down? He stated he was going to fly above the clouds. So he does. Then instantly just nose dives straight down? What happened?

Kobe did NOT rape that White Woman.

Do we know how it went down? Did it fall? Did he simply run directly into a mountain?

I have a little familiarization and exposure to helicopters and jets in the military. Helicopters were the far less reliable of the two technologies where more "oh shit" freak accidents can happen. At least with my limited familiarization that is what I experienced. Even with a seasoned pilot recording 1000's of hours in training, flying on board a helicopter is inherently hazardous and a gamble.

I have a little familiarization and exposure to helicopters and jets in the military. Helicopters were the far less reliable of the two technologies where more "oh shit" freak accidents can happen. At least with my limited familiarization that is what I experienced. Even with a seasoned pilot recording 1000's of hours in training, flying on board a helicopter is inherently hazardous and a gamble.

I don't like helicopters much. I feel like if one thing goes wrong you drop like a brick! At least with a plane I have the false sense of security that I could coast into a crash landing and survive :)

they need a giant bouncy-ball type airbag for these things

The owner of the helicopter was not certified:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/30/us/kobe-bryant-crash-flight-certification.html

"When the helicopter carrying the basketball legend Kobe Bryant crashed into a fogbound mountainside on Sunday, killing all nine people onboard, the pilot who was struggling to avoid the clouds did not have the legal authority to navigate with his instruments because the aircraft owner did not have the necessary federal certification, according to three sources familiar with the charter helicopter company’s operations."
Lawsuit city, baby.

Do we know how it went down? Did it fall? Did he simply run directly into a mountain?
Apparently, he rapidly descended and missed clearing a hilltop by only about 20-30 feet.

I don't like helicopters much. I feel like if one thing goes wrong you drop like a brick! At least with a plane I have the false sense of security that I could coast into a crash landing and survive :)

Helicopters can auto-rotate and glide to a controlled landing without engines.

So owner and pilot must be certified?

How many people are gonna get civil lawsuits?

Helicopters can auto-rotate and glide to a controlled landing without engines.

not_aware_waynes_world.gif

The Bigger question for me is why Kobe chose to live in Newport Beach , instead of Beverly Hills, Malibu or some mansion in the hills.

It's not like he was a beach person. Orange County traffic can be worse than LA.

Some people really hate LA compared to OC or San Diego maybe that's why.

Listen to a helicopter pilot discuss the situation with the licensing and keeping current on certifications as well as the terrain avoidance systems.

The Bigger question for me is why Kobe chose to live in Newport Beach , instead of Beverly Hills, Malibu or some mansion in the hills.

It's not like he was a beach person. Orange County traffic can be worse than LA.

Some people really hate LA compared to OC or San Diego maybe that's why.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back