Owen Roddy unsure if Conor retires after UFC 229

I hope Conor is all in, I imagine it's hard to stay motivated when you've got all that money.

I think he is, but you make a really good point.

I've had the feeling that Conor has been training grappling and takedown defense super hard for most of this year and that is why we are only just seeing the fight now.. that and the fact that Conor was partying alot after the floyd fight.

Ah yes, Conor's boxing coach who wasn't expecting Floyd to use boxing strategies

Robin Black makes an unfounded prediction that Conor will retire if he loses. The media jumps on it and now Roddy has to answer questions about it. Listen to the podcast. 55 minutes into the interview. Carroll "Do you think retirement could be on the horizon in the next few fights?" Roddy "I don't know. I don't think so..." A bit of sensationalistic journalism to title the article "Owen Roddy unsure if Conor McGregor retires after UFC 229.."

I think if he wins, he’ll fight GSP or Mayweather.

If he loses, it’s the Nate trilogy. I don’t see any other fight possibility.

I think he is, but you make a really good point.

I've had the feeling that Conor has been training grappling and takedown defense super hard for most of this year and that is why we are only just seeing the fight now.. that and the fact that Conor was partying alot after the floyd fight.
Well, if he's been training grappling "super hard" ... that's a whole different story!

Conor will go the way of Ronda. He'll get exposed fighting skilled fighters his own size and his ego wont recover. He has less than 3 fights left unless he hand picks ppl he can beat, which wouldbt surprise me either

Well, if he's been training grappling "super hard" ... that's a whole different story!

I am not saying he will take down Khabib or be some world class wrestler, just pretty sure that is why Conor was stalling the Khabib fight for a bit to tune up some moments where he can defend against certain grappling exchanges and throw in strikes or perhaps a new choke. On the flip side of that Khabib has probably been learning to improve his striking or evading strikes vs Conor too.

If there is one thing about Conor, it is that he always improves. He is probably going to come in looking better than he has ever looking, so if he gets whooped, Khabib deserves all the attention he would get.

If he wins he wont retire until the UFC strips the title from him for being inactive. If he loses he won't retire until he's avenged artem so I see more buses and dolly's in his future. One way or another...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/9/...c-229-it-depends-on-what-fights-are-available

“I don’t know…I don’t think [he will retire],” Roddy told Peter Carroll on the latest episode of Eurobash. “I don’t look into the future to see what’s happening. Conor’s mentality hasn’t changed at all, so I don’t know.”

“I always say, it depends on what fights are available, I think, for Conor. As I said, if there is another big super fight and Conor feels like he would enjoy it, then he’ll do it. If the fans want it and stuff like that, I think Conor will take it,” he said.

“You never know, who knows? We’re just going to focus on the task at hand now. This is potentially the biggest fight ever. We’ll go in and do that and then he’ll probably be on to the next biggest fight ever.”

<34>

Sounds like they targeting May-Mac 2, GSP or bust. What other super fights are there for conor?
I think if conor retires anytime soon it would be one of those mayweather like retirements. Where anytime a "money fight" presents itself, he would just "unretire".
"If the fans want it" has become such a silly cliche in MMA. When don't fans want it? They're fans.

Last edited:
Already looking for a way out after Khabib Ronda's him

Ronda-Rousey.jpg
Khabib will win by devasting left head kick?

Meh, he cant retire with the lifestyle he is living right now, since he aint making Floyd money again.

He will fight Nate if he loses or GSP if he wins.

No need to ponder.
Khabib will retire him.

If Irish Edmund said it, it's gotta be true.

No, he retired after he decided to hold 2 belts hostage. At least with fighting Floyd, we got to see him fight. If not for that he'd be retired from MMA already and probably wouldn't be coming back for Khabib either.

And miss out on the biggest money fights of his career?

If he loses to Khabib, I an see him stepping away

The problem with losing to Khabib is that it's going to be a humiliating loss with his smothering style

If he manages to win, I can see him fighting GSP or Woodley. Then off in to the sunset

Back