Overwatch community and Overwatch League gets catfished

Remember your "overwatch cannot function as an esport"? How'd that work out?

They are charging viewers for access to a scoreboard...lol

You should look up the team bit cheering system, how it was promoted and where the money went.

They are charging viewers for access to a scoreboard...lol

You should look up the team bit cheering system, how it was promoted and where the money went.

They fund it directly by charging viewers to watch? So, same as every other sport/esport then?

They fund it directly by charging viewers to watch? So, same as every other sport/esport then?

We talking prize fighting pay per view model or traditional televised sports that generate revenue through ad buys from powers rewarded to them by viewership count?

We talking prize fighting pay per view model or traditional televised sports that generate revenue through ad buys from powers rewarded to them by viewership count?
You living in the 1990's where traditional televised sports were still on the open airwaves?

The entire NBA playoffs is restricted to cable subscribers outside the NBA Finals itself. ABC might throw viewers a bone with a few regular season games every other Saturday or Sunday. The same is true for every sports league outside the NFL. Only football and golf are still free, and only regionally. You still have to buy an NFL ticket if you want to see every game. That's why on the daytime weekends, when you tune into the national networks, it's like a box of chocolates, and you never know what you're gonna get. Lacrosse, cricket, rugby 8, soccer, third world boxing, poker, billiards. The proud national networks slowly morphed into ESPN3.

Otherwise you're surfing streams.

Continue your train of thought. I'm sure you'll get to a point eventually.

I quit Sim Racing in 2007 to play World of Warcraft instead. This Sim Racing company i was already helping test their product for 2-1/2 years. I was the driving instructor in my region, did editorial work for this Sim Racing company and was being groomed for a company position once released to retail.

So i gave up a career opportunity to play one of their IP's. Is that enough justification to warrant my interest?

LOL man thats just sad.

@lakersfan45 can you translate this into English?

Some dude/dudes pretended to be a girl and many in the community were suspicious but that dude kept pretending to be a girl and became popular and was in the process of (or actually did sign) with a professional team. Eventually they were caught/admitted they were just trolling/doing an experiment or whatever.

Some dude/dudes pretended to be a girl and many in the community were suspicious but that dude kept pretending to be a girl and became popular and was in the process of (or actually did sign) with a professional team. Eventually they were caught/admitted they were just trolling/doing an experiment or whatever.
<TheWire1>

which is cool, except i specifically said Overwatch and not some lump total sum of all games. Women make up almost 20% of the active players in OW. thats got to be at least twice the amount for any other given genre

While this deals with esports viewers. Your percentage was pretty damn spot on:
fanai_infographic_esports_1.jpg

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/women-of-esports-jordan-fragen-audience-analyst-for-fanai

You living in the 1990's where traditional televised sports were still on the open airwaves?

Continue your train of thought. I'm sure you'll get to a point eventually.

This isnt TNN signing a WWF broadcasting deal to have television users subscribe to the channel. So the network has the bargaining power to reach a deal with cable providers to become part of the basic television subscriber package.
Nor is it the NFL Game Pass to watch teams play outside your sub-region on Sunday.

OWL broadcasts on one Twitch channel where no counter programming from the identical league exists. Since all matches occur from the same venue. Their All-Access-Pass originally cost $29.99. Six months later they had to slash it by 50%. This is on top of the exclusive broadcasting rights Twitch purchased for OWL.

Which is why they created a bit cheering system to funnel money directly towards Twitch and Blizzard(not the players). Along with the creation of an All-Access-Pass since ad buy revenue wasnt meeting Twitch and Blizzards return of investment.

Closest thing we have for reference with esports is Starcraft2 in 2013 on Twitch. Standard Twitch viewers were only given access to the 360p bitrate video stream. To get the 720p video stream the user needed to subscribe to that channel. This pushed viewers away from Twitch towards YouTube. Starcraft2 esports on Twitch never recovered because of this.

This isnt TNN signing a WWF broadcasting deal to have television users subscribe to the channel. So the network has the bargaining power to reach a deal with cable providers to become part of the basic television subscriber package.
Nor is it the NFL Game Pass to watch teams play outside your sub-region on Sunday.

OWL broadcasts on one Twitch channel where no counter programming from the identical league exists. Since all matches occur from the same venue. Their All-Access-Pass originally cost $29.99. Six months later they had to slash it by 50%. This is on top of the exclusive broadcasting rights Twitch purchased for OWL.

Which is why they created a bit cheering system to funnel money directly towards Twitch and Blizzard(not the players). Along with the creation of an All-Access-Pass since ad buy revenue wasnt meeting Twitch and Blizzards return of investment.

Closest thing we have for reference with esports is Starcraft2 in 2013 on Twitch. Standard Twitch viewers were only given access to the 360p bitrate video stream. To get the 720p video stream the user needed to subscribe to that channel. This pushed viewers away from Twitch towards YouTube. Starcraft2 esports on Twitch never recovered because of this.

I'm curious if we're approaching this point you're going to make? Or whether you're just going to continue swinging away hoping you'll eventually hit something.

Wall-o-whining about revenue streams.

The major traditional sports exist behind paywalls. Twitch bought rights to OWL like ESPN buys rights to just about everything in traditional sports. ABC/ESPN and TNT divide the NBA between each other. I see little difference except that Twitch is providing viewership on more of an a la carte basis rather than in a lump package (which we all end up hating anyway, and give rise to alternatives to SlingTV). You're whining about Twitch when no other service has enriched and grown competitive gaming as much as Twitch has. Sports have to monetize themselves somehow.

If Valve wasn't itself profit-focused we would have gotten Half-Life 3 a decade ago. They focused all their resources into Steam because guess what? They like money and control, too.

One thing that struck me early on in my OW playing career was how many girls there are. The art and ability to succeed without great FPS skills draws them like moths. I remember arguing with someone that female streamers/gamers are actually at an advantage now. There are girls making 6 figures on Twitch who are objectively mediocre, but they get promoted over guys who are top-500 or whatever at their character. I'm fine with that, it's just consumer demand I guess, but they aren't hard done by.

One thing that struck me early on in my OW playing career was how many girls there are. The art and ability to succeed without great FPS skills draws them like moths. I remember arguing with someone that female streamers/gamers are actually at an advantage now. There are girls making 6 figures on Twitch who are objectively mediocre, but they get promoted over guys who are top-500 or whatever at their character. I'm fine with that, it's just consumer demand I guess, but they aren't hard done by.
If I was an attractive girl and could play a game well to great you bet I'd be going for that money

Everyone on the internet is a male. Specially if they claim to be female.

Last edited:
I'm curious if we're approaching this point you're going to make? Or whether you're just going to continue swinging away hoping you'll eventually hit something.

You dont seem to understand the revenue stream and core premise behind such systems.

You dont seem to understand the revenue stream and core premise behind such systems.

You think advertisers pay sport teams to appear in the advert breaks. I don't think you understand revenue streams.

Just popped back into this thread. So people have to pay now to watch professional esports online? Seriously?

You're whining about Twitch when no other service has enriched and grown competitive gaming as much as Twitch has. Sports have to monetize themselves somehow.

Twitch did help substantially with creating the boom of esports. But youre not understanding what happened in 2016. Twitch with their viewership refused to enter broadcasting rights deals with leagues/lans. Resulting in leagues/lans starting to sign broadcasting rights deals with Facebook and or YouTube(even Azubu and MLG, but lets not get into those). This is why Twitch made a play into the IRL genre at the end of 2016 to counter YouTube and Facebook.

So when Twitch entered into a 90 million dollar exclusive broadcasting deal with OWL it was confusing. For as a league OWL didnt have any viewership metrics to justify such a cost. Resulting in the heavily incentivized micro-transactions for OWL viewers since the ad buys werent meeting their exclusivity broadcasting deal.

Can we at least agree on that?

You think advertisers pay sport teams to appear in the advert breaks. I don't think you understand revenue streams.

Im done, its clear you dont know what youre talking about in the esports genre. An these continued false statements to test my knowledge while masking your lack of knowledge has become repetitive.

Last edited:
Back