Overwatch community and Overwatch League gets catfished

Seriously, though. What’s your obsession with Blizzard?

Seriously, though. What’s your obsession with Blizzard?

I quit Sim Racing in 2007 to play World of Warcraft instead. This Sim Racing company i was already helping test their product for 2-1/2 years. I was the driving instructor in my region, did editorial work for this Sim Racing company and was being groomed for a company position once released to retail.

So i gave up a career opportunity to play one of their IP's. Is that enough justification to warrant my interest?

I quit Sim Racing in 2007 to play World of Warcraft instead. This Sim Racing company i was already helping test their product for 2-1/2 years. I was the driving instructor in my region, did editorial work for this Sim Racing company and was being groomed for a company position once released to retail.

So i gave up a career opportunity to play one of their IP's. Is that enough justification to warrant my interest?
You deserve the nudge. Your grudge against Blizzard seems to transcend gaming. It feels personal, and it hasn't served you well. You insisted that when Overwatch launched it wasn't a real eSport, it would fade quickly, and here you are two years later talking shit about OWL: a professional eSports league. Overwatch is your Pinocchio.

#4 most watched 2018 (through October)

#6 in 2018 pro player earnings (#7 in 2017, #9 in 2016...growing)
https://www.esportsearnings.com/history/2018/games

As a CounterStrike player and WoW PvP'r. I find Overwatchs mechanics simplistic to the point of not being appealing.

Dont see the games appeal lasting unless they keep releasing a new character per month.
Mechanics of the game are tailored to casual players and not high tier play. Ammo is unlimited, CD's of a characters two abilities are far to low, acquiring ones Ultimate is to easy, stacking of the same Hero on a team is common and from an observer standpoint the screen is far to cluttered during team fights.

Now the competitive format is also counter productive. Wins are based off time, not round wins. Requiring a different clock to be shown on screen than the official countdown timer.

If the game intends to become an eSport. Ultimate ability acquisition needs to be doubled, two character core abilities CD's need to be tripled, ammo will probably need longer reload times with lesser bullet count within the clip and character pick/ban phase has to happen so the same character cant be on the same team or on separate teams.
Which i have zero complaints about. An those who are playing it i hope they enjoy it for years to come.

Im not criticizing the game. Pointing out the core game mechanics dont support competitive play to those who are acting ignorant on the matter.
Youre presenting skill of class abilities usage. When im bring up over saturation of it from low CD game mechanics design with casual play in mind, not competitive play. When every notable game that has high viewers/active player base with character specific abilities trigger a CD on usage with a resource drain. For the skill usage triggering a CD in itself doesnt present adequate negatives.

Couple this with infinite ammo and Ultimate percentage or full gain carrying over upon death. The skill ceiling just wasnt lowered, it barely exists.
You'll notice a pattern with players of this game who are vocal in this thread. They proclaim the game to be competitive yet refuse to incorporate any criteria thats needed in competitive play.

Considering the only available game mode is Casual. Its unknown what rule sets (if any) Blizzard will release with their MM system later this month.
From a casual gamers perspective Overwatch is fine. When those start talking about its competitive side and how it will 'soon' dominate the eSports scene. I need to call them out on this gibberish.
For the only balance within the game is that certain characters counter certain characters. In class based PvP games a time centering needs to occur with class abilities. With WoW's Arena this is done around the CD timer of the PvP Trinket (2 minutes). If you were a frost spec'd mage in the MoP expansion you had a 'i win' combo every 25 seconds. Given class defensives and PvP trinket usage the player would always die within 75 seconds of the game. This caused Blizzard to nerf the frost mage.

In Overwatch the overall game can last roughly 10 minutes with abilities on 5-15 seconds CD's and Ultimates on virtually 30 second CD. 20 Ultimates used and potentially 80 second class character abilities used within that ten minutes per player. Add in all the twelve players on the server. This potentially becomes 120 Ultimates and 960 character abilities that the observer and viewer need to register. Thats clear over saturation.
Market share, sponsorship/ad revenue, third party organization support, amateur to pro scene structure and frequency of high revenue events that are self sustaining. Its the same criteria used for measuring the success of other mainstream sports.

2014: http://www.esportsearnings.com/history/2014/games
2015: http://www.esportsearnings.com/history/2015/games
2016: http://www.esportsearnings.com/history/2016/games

SC2 has more events than participants. WoW's 3v3 Arena hasnt even had an event this year while holding the largest active player base among all Blizzard titles. HoTS is reducing their events by 75% compared to 2015. Hearthstone is also projected to be halving their events from 2015.

Only good news for SC2, HoTS and Hearthstone is that their 2016 projected earnings will meet 2015 total earnings. Bad news for HoTS and Hearthstone is that outside investment towards them being a continued eSport has shrunk. Event, sponsor and team organizations have already begun restricting their support by not hosting events or upcoming players/teams. With the explosion of usage in services like Twitch last year. The revenue and content should be increasing to meet demand.

So i ask, for a third time. What are these five games produced by Blizzard that are big on the eSports scene?
You said they were "big in eSports", not "alright". If youre doing "alright" in this current market of eSports on game titles that are multiple years old they arent actually doing "alright". Theyre barely surviving on the eSports scene and on the verge of dying competitively.
You were wrong, dude.

<{clintugh}>
<Dylan>
{<huh}
WTF is this thread?

You fuckers are speaking some coded insider gibberish. And I’ve been playing and coding games (because good luck getting MSX games outside of Japan) before most of you were born.

giphy.gif

TL:DR: Account made to troll high level players into thinking "they were beaten by a girl". Additionally resulted in unsolicited donations to the supposed "female" player and roster spot on a team in OWL's contender division.

@lakersfan45 can you translate this into English?

<{clintugh}>
<Dylan>
{<huh}
WTF is this thread?

You fuckers are speaking some coded insider gibberish. And I’ve been playing and coding games (because good luck getting MSX games outside of Japan) before most of you were born.
@lakersfan45 can you translate this into English?
Forbes offers Cliffs:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikka...depressing-way-to-kick-off-2019/#599f70196ab6
Forbes said:
What can one say about the recent Ellie Overwatch controversy?

It's a mess.

Nobody involved comes out looking good---not the players, like Punisher, who devised this "social experiment"; not the gamers who suggested doxxing the at-the-time potentially real/potentially fictional Ellie or those who sent threats; not the game journalists who published articles without doing due diligence to verify that Ellie was even real; and certainly not Second Wind, in a hurry to sign a female pro, who went ahead and did so without proper vetting.

Everyone is pointing fingers now. The blame game is afoot.

Long story short:
  • A male Overwatch player pretended to be a female, was recruited by a pro-team excited to have a female pro on-board, wouldn't reveal any personal information leading to the community becoming skeptical of "her" true identity which led to cyber-sleuthing and, from some bad apples, threats and harassment.
  • A bunch of video game sites took Ellie's story at face value and condemned gamers for a witch-hunt without learning the full truth of the matter. Then it turned out that Ellie was actually a male gamer to begin with.
  • The fallout has seen some gaming sites double down, claiming that none of this would have happened if Ellie hadn't been female, somehow missing the point that the entire crux of the issue was that Ellie wasn't actually female.
  • Many gamers understandably see this as yet another failure of the gaming press, but gloss over the worst behavior in the community since their skepticism was proven to be justified.

The problem, as is so often the case, seems to be that people think their cause is so just that they can act however they please, say whatever they want to whomever they wish, publish whatever story pushes the proper agenda no matter the facts.
The real story here is that yet again the SJW Silicon Valley gaming press has gotten egg on their faces with their outrageous identity politics, and ongoing hostility to their own consumer base.

#4 most watched 2018 (through October)

When it comes to esports you cant observe their success directly on prize pool, esport hours content produced, viewership totals, active players or game type. Its a culmination of all listed prior. An entry into a top 10 list of esports in any of those criteria doesnt indicate sustainability. HoTS is on that list and its literally a dead esport.

Its the same way of thinking @Turtlejuice formulated his opinion in our original discussion regarding Blizzard game titles as esports.

Girl Gamers are cringe though. My friend met some chick that is a gamer and all they do is sit at home. They never got out! wtf.

When it comes to esports you cant observe their success directly on prize pool, esport hours content produced, viewership totals, active players or game type. Its a culmination of all listed prior. An entry into a top 10 list of esports in any of those criteria doesnt indicate sustainability. HoTS is on that list and its literally a dead esport.

Its the same way of thinking @Turtlejuice formulated his opinion in our original discussion regarding Blizzard game titles as esports.

Wrong. You claimed blizzard was dead on the esport scene in 2016. It's not 2019 and you're still wrong. But you're trying to use the cutting of their least popular game as proof that you're right.

2 1/2 years later, going stronger than at launch, and you still can't admit you ate shit by asserting that Overwatch is a "casual" game with no potential for competitive relevance.

You wonder why guys like Bob are curious. It's like you're painting lipstick on yourself in a dark room full of Blizzard posters.

Wrong. You claimed blizzard was dead on the esport scene in 2016. It's not 2019 and you're still wrong.

HoTS, World of Warcraft and Hearthstone esports are directly funded and produced by Blizzard. So when Blizzard pulled esports funding for HoTS and are on the verge of pulling its esports funding with WoW/Hearthstone. As 'esports games' they were artificially created to be marketing tools. Data available to us in 2016 showed this for they exhibited consistent negative growth in all areas. An its coming to fruition now because of Blizzards stock price.

2 1/2 years later, going stronger than at launch,

Its active players in every region has shrunk. Influx of players only come now during a new hero release and for their placement matches for each new season.

You dont need anyones justification for interest. I was referring to your obvious grudge that seems to go beyond simply not liking a game or two. For example Bioware has no shortage of detractors, but its not like thats 90% of what they post about.

Your post it makes it seem like you played WoW a lot and now you blame Blizzard for your loss of career tracking.

Youre misinterpreting stating facts as having a grudge.
Dude, you shit talk Blizzard every chance you get.

You hold a grudge. You're not fooling anybody. What we don't know for certain is why you hate Blizzard so much.

Last edited:
HoTS, World of Warcraft and Hearthstone esports are directly funded and produced by Blizzard. So when Blizzard pulled esports funding for HoTS and are on the verge of pulling its esports funding with WoW/Hearthstone. As 'esports games' they were artificially created to be marketing tools. Data available to us in 2016 showed this for they exhibited consistent negative growth in all areas. An its coming to fruition now because of Blizzards stock price.

You've made more points that are irrelevant. Remember your "overwatch cannot function as an esport"? How'd that work out? Define "directly funded by blizzard".

Last edited:
Back