overtraining

snowolf17

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
how often should i be training BJJ? can you overtrain? how many days a week would be ideal?

Train as much as your body and mind can handle. I don't think there is going to be a universally right answer.

Don't ignore injuries and don't get burnt out.

Depends on the person, ime. Some people can handle 5/6 days a week training once a day, some more, some less. I think it depends on age, diet, how hard you train, if you do other stuff on the side, etc...

I know that I have a habit of overtraining, and I have to adjust my training schedule a lot to compensate. It is worthwhile o study how athletes in other, more professional sports deal with this issue.

Overtraining has a specific medical definition as opposed to "just training too much"

Overtraining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best way to tell is to check your resting heart rate. Check it when you get up every morning for a couple weeks. If you've been training a lot and your HR is quite a bit higher the next morning that probably means you're overtrained, and you need more food, water, and sleep.

Overtraining has a specific medical definition as opposed to "just training too much"

Overtraining - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The best way to tell is to check your resting heart rate. Check it when you get up every morning for a couple weeks. If you've been training a lot and your HR is quite a bit higher the next morning that probably means you're overtrained, and you need more food, water, and sleep.

I agree, buy a heart monitor, it's a great training tool.

usually my joints give out before the rest of my body. but that's just me

you'll be able to tell when you push yourself too hard.

when you feel like your plateauing or can't hang with the people you usually do well against take a few days off. i do from time to time and always come back refreshed and can deff tell how far i've come.

just make sure if you do take some time off you run a little to keep your cardio up.

I used to over train quite regularily. Between 6 days a weeks of bjj I was also doing about 2 classes a week of boxing, kickboxing, mma, combat sombo (only did about 3 months), kempo jujitsu, and 1 private a week of knife fighting. I kept this schedule up for about a year until my body started rebelling on me. Started getting injured on a regular basis, started getting sick and broke out in shingle. Probaby the biggest thing tho was started getting pretty bad depression.

These days I only realy train bjj and judo 5 - 6 days a week, am much fitter, healthier and quite a lot happier.

Each person is different, add to or cut back according to how you feel.

Back