Overtrained?

Take a week off.

Where is the pain? All over?

This is ethier very serious overtraining, or something far worse.

With a week off you'll see if you just need to rest, or tone down your lifting.

I'd do light jogging for 2-3 times in the week. and stretching

Lower legs, knees , elbows, under arms, lower back.
I like the week off thing some of you guys suggested , but need to prepare for competition:(

Lower legs, knees , elbows, under arms, lower back.
I like the week off thing some of you guys suggested , but need to prepare for competition:(

if you don't listen to your body you might get injuried very badly

how far away is the competition?

I would suggest at most to go and watch class, but you really shouldn't be training if you're feeling this bad.

if you don't listen to your body you might get injuried very badly

how far away is the competition?

I would suggest at most to go and watch class, but you really shouldn't be training if you're feeling this bad.

A month away , will be my first so i really want to prepare and train a lot.

Guess i will take the weekend off , go to open mat on monday , and if it itsn't at least less painfull, ill take a week off.

Try to have sufficient protein intake and taking glucosamine pills for the joints

You would have to work 10-12 hour days of brutal labor with poor nutrition and not enough sleep to overtrain in the way you think you might be.

Overtraining applies a lot more to bodybuilding than to endurance sports like BJJ. Overtraining in bodybuilding means that you are not giving your muslces enough time to grow before putting stress on them again. But you have to remember that bodybuilding is something artificial that we put our bodies through for looks, not performance. Endurance activities are what the human body is naturally built for.

You are only doing 6 workouts a week for a few hours a day, this isn't that bad. Your body is adjusting to a new work load, and you can definitely handle it. If you eat properly and sleep 8 hour nights, your body can handle an incredible amount.

You would have to work 10-12 hour days of brutal labor with poor nutrition and not enough sleep to overtrain in the way you think you might be.

Overtraining applies a lot more to bodybuilding than to endurance sports like BJJ. Overtraining in bodybuilding means that you are not giving your muslces enough time to grow before putting stress on them again. But you have to remember that bodybuilding is something artificial that we put our bodies through for looks, not performance. Endurance activities are what the human body is naturally built for.

You are only doing 6 workouts a week for a few hours a day, this isn't that bad. Your body is adjusting to a new work load, and you can definitely handle it. If you eat properly and sleep 8 hour nights, your body can handle an incredible amount.

Yeah i'd think so... i eat fairly good i think, sleep is a little worse maybe 6-8 hours , but i think its sufficient for my body , the only thing i can think of is that for the last years i live at night.

I wake up between 2-5 pm and go to sleep between 6 and 9 am.
But than again i go out every day so i do get my sunlight.

so wrong.

overtraining is not a ''bodybuilding" thing. You can easily do too much cardio and overtrain.

Sure, the pro mma guys train 8 hours a day, but they are conditioned to it. do you honestly think they just one day started working out that hard? No...they trained as hard as they could. they listen to their body. that is the difference between pros and hobbist. they listen to their body

Effects of Frequency and Duration of Running on Improvments of Fitness and Incidence of Injury

Subjects were untrained men, 20 to 35 years of age. Training intensity was between 85 to 90 percent of maximum heart rate. Percentages have been rounded.

When running more than 3 days per week, or more than 30 minutes per session, additional improvements in cardiovascular fitness are small, yet the rate of orthopedic injuries are disproportionately greater. Although slightly higher increases of cardiovascular fitness were observed for the 45 minutes per session and 5 days per week groups, these programs are not recommended for beginning joggers due to significantly higher rates of injury

Last edited:
so wrong.

overtraining is not a ''bodybuilding" thing. You can easily do too much cardio and overtrain.

Sure, the pro mma guys train 8 hours a day, but they are conditioned to it. do you honestly think they just one day started working out that hard? No...they trained as hard as they could. they listen to their body. that is the difference between pros and hobbist. they listen to their body

Effects of Frequency and Duration of Running on Improvments of Fitness and Incidence of Injury

Subjects were untrained men, 20 to 35 years of age. Training intensity was between 85 to 90 percent of maximum heart rate. Percentages have been rounded.

When running more than 3 days per week, or more than 30 minutes per session, additional improvements in cardiovascular fitness are small, yet the rate of orthopedic injuries are disproportionately greater. Although slightly higher increases of cardiovascular fitness were observed for the 45 minutes per session and 5 days per week groups, these programs are not recommended for beginning joggers due to significantly higher rates of injury

And if you train a few hours a day, you'll become conditioned to do that too. The human body is built for running. Just google "humans are built for running" and you'll find plenty of evidence to back it up.

That study says "untrained men." When do they reach a point where they become "trained" men? Trained men were at one point untrained men, which means at one point they got injured more, too. But as they became conditioned, they got injured less. A person new to grappling usually feels joint pain a few weeks after they've started, especially in the elbows. A guy who's been training for several years can train just as hard and not feel this, because he's conditioned for it.

Make sure you have a day where you rest, maybe even two days if your body is really feeling sore or just beat up. Make sure you are getting enough protein and carbs to sustain your level of training.

Ok i will check the s&c forum .
I dont want/ need to get stronger and or gain weight , i train to make my muscle condition better.

This is a contradictory statement and that's why you are being questioned on it. The way you are working out sounds like what female model would do to "tone up". Among other things you are probably wasting your time, energy and recovery with a high volume low rep workout. Just trying to be helpful, not start an internet war.

As for the overtraining it is definitely possible. Make sure you schedule in rest days in your programming. I would cut out the lifting for now and add it back in later once you get used to the bjj. Do not take offense here, but what you are doing in the weight room probably isn't helping you much anyway, and you would be much better off doing more bjj at this point.

If you take a good three days off you will know if it was overtraining for sure.

Edit: You need to make sure you are geting enough calories in to recover. I bet if you honestly added it up you would be way short.

Not sure if serious

oh, i'm serious. the way you are training sounds to me like you want to get pretty with all the low weight high rep weight training you're doing. it doesnt help you to get strong or anything. i understand that you're not doing it for the increase in strength, but even so this high rep stuff isnt getting you anywhere, be it strength gain or bodybuilding.

i wanted to clarify with you because i wasn't sure which direction you wanted to go, and i didnt want to start a flame war by 'calling you out' on your lifting habits. please understand that i'm not trying to insult nor flame you, just trying my best to help. i was never a good orator, so i shall leave some quotes from great sources here.

2. Lift heavy. Put some weight on the bar. I personally prefer to do 1-3 reps on my main lifts (the squat, bench and deadlift). For a novice, 5 reps might be a better starting place. Lifting heavy is hard, and requires a lot of mental toughness. But it's the way strength is built, so butch up and get ready for your worksets to feel like they

If you're training that much I would highly recommend getting a massage every 3 or 4 weeks just to keep you loose. From what you're describing as your' training regime that sounds like a nice routine not really over training unless you jumped into it without absolutely zero conditioning before hand.

And if you train a few hours a day, you'll become conditioned to do that too. The human body is built for running. Just google "humans are built for running" and you'll find plenty of evidence to back it up.

That study says "untrained men." When do they reach a point where they become "trained" men? Trained men were at one point untrained men, which means at one point they got injured more, too. But as they became conditioned, they got injured less. A person new to grappling usually feels joint pain a few weeks after they've started, especially in the elbows. A guy who's been training for several years can train just as hard and not feel this, because he's conditioned for it.

it's still overtraining. TS's symptoms are definitely overtraining...

Dont. Be. A. Pansy.

Unless you're experiencing these symptoms your not overtraining:

* Persistent muscle soreness
* Elevated resting heart rate
* Increased susceptibility to infections
* Increased incidence of injuries
* Irritability
* Depression
* Loss of motivation
* Insomnia
* Decreased appetite
* Weight loss
Also why are you lifting high reps, you going for looks more than performance?

i'm experiencing these,no muscle soreness,and i'm not sure about my resting heart rate.
ive got a fight in 2 weeks and i've been fitting in all the training i can get any advice? i have 6 days left of hard training then i will rest for the last week should i just push through and continue to train as much as possible.
ie, todays training 6am bjj,2pm boxing private,7pm mma followed by 3x6min rounds full contact mma sparring.

You don't need to lift for more than like half an hour, two or three days a week. Use heavier weights and do less reps. And don't put so much emphasis on the negative part of the lift, that's the part that makes you sore.

i'm experiencing these,no muscle soreness,and i'm not sure about my resting heart rate.
ive got a fight in 2 weeks and i've been fitting in all the training i can get any advice? i have 6 days left of hard training then i will rest for the last week should i just push through and continue to train as much as possible.
ie, todays training 6am bjj,2pm boxing private,7pm mma followed by 3x6min rounds full contact mma sparring.

Take a few days off, maybe not do 6 full days of hard training, if your really having these symptoms then doing any work, let alone increasing your work load, is going to do so much more harm than good. Yes, you will probably not be as conditioned as you hoped, but if you continue you are for sure going to be dominated. Conditioning is something you should strive for in the long run, not crammed in a couple weeks.

when I was overtrained I felt like I had the flu, weak, achy, couldnt sleep...you can definately overtrain, going 6 days a week is hard, rest and good food is the key...just take a 2 to 4 days off and you will feel good

Someone will probally shut me down for this comment...

but I think in some instances you just dont know you've been overtraining until its too late. Especially if you dont know what the symptoms are and you just put them down to something else.

In my own experience the last batch of training I undertook kicked my butt. I experienced many of the symptoms listed above bust just thought I would adapt through it or it would pass tomorrow...of course tomorrow never came and I got injured and have been inactive for 6 or so weeks.

In hindsight I'd recomend to undertrain to a degree(not in the sense you are lazy though), listen to your body and then listen again and most of all schedule rest days . It seems like common sense now but thats the beauty of some of us isnt it, we learn the hard way.

Where's your bout going to be Shouldercharge ?

It's more likely you are under-nourishing yourself than over-training. Make sure you're getting enough quality food/supplement intake and you'll notice the difference.

99% of the people worried about overtraining on this forum aren't training hard enough.

Back