Overtrained?

Respeezy

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
Hi guys , i train 4 times a week bjj now and 2 days of weight lifting.

I recently started to feel very annoying pain all over my body.

It feels like my nerves, joints even my bones hurt. Everything just hurts , when i stand up my legs hurt when i pull my arm hurts.

Someone told me it could be symptoms of overtraining, and it would be lactic acid causing the pains.

I will google that myself ofcourse, but for sure other people must have ( had) similar pains, so i'd like to know how you dealt with it and or avoid it etc .

Since i always read about people training 12 classes a week , i figured i'm probably doing something wrong.

Osu!

I doubt you are over training with 6 workouts a week. If you weren't in shape when you began this new routine it may be putting some added stress on your body. Any time you are increasing the amount of workouts you need to build up slowly. As for the soreness and annoying pain- it's normal. There is a difference between being injured and being sore and you need to figure it out quickly.

I doubt you are over training with 6 workouts a week. If you weren't in shape when you began this new routine it may be putting some added stress on your body. Any time you are increasing the amount of workouts you need to build up slowly. As for the soreness and annoying pain- it's normal. There is a difference between that and being injured and being sore and you need to figure it out quickly.

Disagree, can't really say based on the number of workouts.

When talking about weight lifting, I always say it depends on volume and load. The same applies. You can have 6 very hard workouts vs 12 light ones.

If everything hurt I would seriously seek professional advice. It could be something bigger, just check yourself out to be safe.

How long have you been doing this routine?

if it's been like 8-12 weeks I'd take a week off to rest, recover, and grow

I find that personally sometimes I just need a 3-4 day rest to really recover... how often I need to do this varies on my many things, how intense my workouts have been, this may suprise you but how much stress i've been under ... if i train really hard and im stressed my body never seems to recover as quicky. Also diet plays a big factor if I don't eat right which is most of the time for sure takes its toll after a while... always make sure you get enough protein aswell obviously

I've been doing this routine just for a couple of weeks now.
The previous months i did like 2 times bjj and 3x weights.
And the period before that it was like bjj once and weights 4 x

I feel i could train bjj everyday and go hard.
I mean probably my body isnt adapted (yet) but i dont feel exhausted or nothing.

Also these pains are nothing like your regular soreness muscle pain after a workout.

I'm talking pain that makes me seriously want to curl up like a baby.
It feels like its the nerves or something i don't know.

Also i dont lift very heavy , i try to do a lot of reps with low weights.

What would be the estimated time for a body to get used to increased workouts?

I think i'll take a little more rest , and use a time frame after which if theres no improvement ill visit the doctor.

Dont. Be. A. Pansy.

Unless you're experiencing these symptoms your not overtraining:

* Persistent muscle soreness
* Elevated resting heart rate
* Increased susceptibility to infections
* Increased incidence of injuries
* Irritability
* Depression
* Loss of motivation
* Insomnia
* Decreased appetite
* Weight loss

Also why are you lifting high reps, you going for looks more than performance?

"for a couple of weeks now."

doesn't give a good time window

but if you have been training this hard for a couple of months, I would take a week off of lifting. For sure. You will come back stronger after a week of resting.

Physical Overtraining

Yeah its hard to say exact you know since i miss and add some classes now and than.

I'd say 3 weeks now. I 've experienced the same pains in the past but it was over a year ago.

Thanks for the link , i do recognize some of the symptoms. But i guess a lot of people would.

i suggest you go over to the strength and conditioning forum and read the stickied faq
the good people of the s&p know a lot about lifting heavy shit

and if you want to get strong, dont do high reps
do heavy weights, but lesser reps.

and yes, read the snp faq

Ok i will check the s&c forum .
I dont want/ need to get stronger and or gain weight , i train to make my muscle condition better.

Over the past 2 months I've been training 5 times a week and I started feeling pretty sore all over too. What ended up helping me was making sure that I was taking in enough calories so that I'd have enough energy the following day and also that I was getting at least eight hours of sleep a night. If I didn't get that much I was basically a zombie the following day.

listen to your body. If it hurts or you feel weak then there is something wrong.

Take a break for a week and re-evaluate, if it is still a problem see a Dr. he could give you the best advise.

You may have a problem, but I don't see how you can be over-training with only 6 sessions a week.

Also these pains are nothing like your regular soreness muscle pain after a workout.

I'm talking pain that makes me seriously want to curl up like a baby.

That's not a normal sign of overtraining. If you hurt so much you literally want to curl up like a baby... so should definitely consider seeing your PCP. Also, how old are you???

That's not a normal sign of overtraining. If you hurt so much you literally want to curl up like a baby... so should definitely consider seeing your PCP. Also, how old are you???

I'm 25

Take a week off.

Where is the pain? All over?

This is ethier very serious overtraining, or something far worse.

With a week off you'll see if you just need to rest, or tone down your lifting.

I'd do light jogging for 2-3 times in the week. and stretching

Back