Overrated/underrated power punchers

He wasn't. He was a great finisher, but his single shot power wasn't that great.
I feel like we could have a full thread on the difference between punchers and finishers

GGG and Vitali come to mind as guys with flashy KO percentages, but IMO aren't great punchers.
Currently, Jermell Charlo is somebody who hits a lot harder than his KO percentage shows.
Regarding Randall Bailey, as stated above... it may have been a skill/technique issue with Bailey, but his KO power is legit and I think one of the best I've seen over the last 20 years or so.

Man, when Bailey hit Mike Jones with that uppercut, it made a sound like one I've never heard in a boxing match.

This is everyone’s go to fight whenever Bailey is brought up but there is no one in his resume that stands out that makes me think he’s a p4p puncher, if Bailey is considered an atg puncher than so should Edison Miranda

I feel like we could have a full thread on the difference between punchers and finishers
Being a great finisher is a skill in it's own right. Gomez was an excellent finisher, but i think someone like Cervantes, had much better single shot power although he had an inferior finishing record.

Being a great finisher is a skill in it's own right. Gomez was an excellent finisher, but i think someone like Cervantes, had much better single shot power although he had an inferior finishing record.
Cervantes could break people. I think he was better at that than having 1 shot damage.

That fight against Locche is a prime example....who have you seen do that to Locche? I think that is a testament to his ability to break people down and drag them into deep waters very quickly. In a matter of literally minutes, Locche goes from clowning with feints to getting cut up and battered. It's wild.

I told this story before but I was at the fight in FL when Bailey knocked down Juan Urango with a shot to his cheek, it split like a melon btw. That punch sounded like someone took a phone book and slammed it down on a table. As in his typical fashion I think it was the only solid shot he landed all night. Main was two lightheavyweights, the great Clinton Woods and Tavoris Cloud ( a known puncher) , none of their punches sounded remotely like the one punch Bailey landed. He had freakish power , to say otherwise is just plain wrong.

Last edited:
He wasn't. He was a great finisher, but his single shot power wasn't that great.
idk about that. gomez slept a gang of motherfuckers

even if they beat the count half the time, when he hit guys they went down like they got shot

I told this story before but I was at the fight in FL when Bailey knocked down Juan Urango with a shot to his cheek, it split like a melons btw. That punch sounded like someone took a phone book and slammed it down on a table. As in his typical fashion I think it was the only solid shot he landed all night. Main was two lightheavyweights, the great Clinton Woods and Tavoris Cloud ( a known puncher) , none of their punches sounded remotely like the one punch Bailey landed. He had freakish power , to say otherwise is just plain wrong.

that sound is alarming. Hardest punch I ever heard was Brian vilaria on an undercard. Sounded like he hit him with a 2x4.

This is everyone’s go to fight whenever Bailey is brought up but there is no one in his resume that stands out that makes me think he’s a p4p puncher, if Bailey is considered an atg puncher than so should Edison Miranda
i don’t think bailey was a particularly good fighter. that’s really all the quality of his resumé should mean and i‘d agree with you on that. but he is an all-time p4p deathblow type puncher. dmitry kudryashov doesn’t have many decent names on his resume either but he has comical, ridiculous power in his hands.

even if you’re fighting bums, a weak puncher isn’t going to have many knockouts. bailey does and plenty are on film. the reaction of fighters when he hit them, the sound it makes. absurd power in his right hand.

if we’re on the topic of the sound of punches, i have never heard punches that sound like kudryashov’s do. (ko shot around 12:25)

there used to be a great highlight on youtube that showed basically every knockout of his career on the way to the dorticos fight and it had all the original fight sound. i love hanzagod to death but his highlights all have music over them

Overated - Manny ( at least above super FW)
Underrated - Crawford ( ko ratio above 70% yet people think spence will just walk through him).

I think Pavlik was a bit overrated. Put his punches together very well tho.

I think Arthur Abraham is a bit underrated, or possibly just overlooked

Haha ... This included that punch I was talking about. Crap it’s even loud on a highlight video!
Dude had some scary power, too bad he never developed the rest of this game.

I think Pavlik was a bit overrated. Put his punches together very well tho.

I think Arthur Abraham is a bit underrated, or possibly just overlooked
abraham is a freaky level puncher. he just doesn’t really tend to sit down or load up on his punches. very underrated. i think he might have some of the most natural power i’ve ever seen.

I told this story before but I was at the fight in FL when Bailey knocked down Juan Urango with a shot to his cheek, it split like a melon btw. That punch sounded like someone took a phone book and slammed it down on a table. As in his typical fashion I think it was the only solid shot he landed all night. Main was two lightheavyweights, the great Clinton Woods and Tavoris Cloud ( a known puncher) , none of their punches sounded remotely like the one punch Bailey landed. He had freakish power , to say otherwise is just plain wrong.

I was at that fight too!!!! You live in South Florida? Road Trip? Or working the event? If you don’t mind me asking

I was at that fight too!!!! You live in South Florida? Road Trip? Or working the event? If you don’t mind me asking

Nice.

It was just a weekend trip w the wife for the fights. We flew in the morning of and left the next day.

Under- Julian Jackson TNT / Cooney

Over- vitali/ wlad

Vitali, yeah. Not sure about Wlad. His power always seemed plenty legitimate to me, even if he wasn't all that deadset on making full use of it later in his career.

People don't seem to talk a ton about Ray Leonard's power. He was a pretty damn good puncher. Jermain Taylor might be a decent example of an underrated puncher, as well.

Back