Overpowered

I'm very big and very strong, but I train with a powerlifter that is incredible. I've honestly found a lot more success working guard on him. I frustrate him because he can't completely muscle me around. I wear him out by being active from the bottom, and finally I will pull an armbar or shoulder lock off on him.

This happened to me the other day.

I had a white belt who is probably 20 lbs bigger than me in my guard, and I swear he had a fucking grip of steel. Normally I'm good at breaking grips in the guard, but nothing I did even budged this guys arm. I opened my guard on my own terms rather than wait for the inevitable break and pass on his part.

I wish I had remembered the wrist lock, but seeing as how I don't really practice the move, I completely forgot about it. Also, I'm not even sure I could bend his wrist because this guy was so strong.

This is why there are nifty things called weight classes.

A strong ass white belt with decent technique can give me fits sometimes.

So his elbows were in your thighs? Is this how he broke open your closed guard? If he has a strong grip and his elbows are digging in your thighs, you can also grab his elbows with your hands and pull them outwards like a hinge. At the same time pull in with your legs and he should fall onto you. I do this to break posture all the time.

Sometimes I prefer not trying to break someones grip. I have a few ways to break grips but I believe breaking his posture is more important if you have him in closed guard. One other thing I use sometimes for gi is I grab his collar on the same side with both hands and pull in. Its worked pretty well for me.

So his elbows were in your thighs? Is this how he broke open your closed guard? If he has a strong grip and his elbows are digging in your thighs, you can also grab his elbows with your hands and pull them outwards like a hinge. At the same time pull in with your legs and he should fall onto you. I do this to break posture all the time.

Sometimes I prefer not trying to break someones grip. I have a few ways to break grips but I believe breaking his posture is more important if you have him in closed guard. One other thing I use sometimes for gi is I grab his collar on the same side with both hands and pull in. Its worked pretty well for me.
No. He had a grip on my lapel and a grip on my knee. It's a really good, basic pass. He didn't pass my guard because I transitioned to open, but if I help on to closed guard, he probably would have forced my knee down and went for the knee slide pass.

I don't have any problems with the elbows digging into the thigh. Every BJJ'er learns how to counter that within his 2nd month.

That's a strong guy with bad tech. When you roll with a powerhouse with good tech, you wont prefer strong guys any more.

Yeah, but that will because because his technique is better or equal to mine. Bigger guys beat me all the time, but it's because they are better not stronger.

I'd say you probably just need to work on your stability of your submissions. Make sure everything is super tight before actually trying to finish the sub.

Yeah, I do have a tendancy to rush my subs. That's good advice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back