Overhook from Half-Guard

Wow i see some of you do not roll, or you suck and have a bad instructor.
You pretty much do not want to be on your side. Not even in half guard. Unless you taking the back or doing some sweeps. But its just for a second.
I really have no idea how your gonna get a triangle from there. Or an oma plata. If you try you getting passed. Even by someone who has never rolled.
And I saw someone said half butterfly. That = your getting passed.

so are you saying that you want to be flat on your back while in halfguard?
it should be your first priority to get on your side while in halfguard or THEN it will be hard to defend passing.

Wow i see some of you do not roll, or you suck and have a bad instructor.
You pretty much do not want to be on your side. Not even in half guard. Unless you taking the back or doing some sweeps. But its just for a second.
I really have no idea how your gonna get a triangle from there. Or an oma plata. If you try you getting passed. Even by someone who has never rolled.
And I saw someone said half butterfly. That = your getting passed.
But back to the subject. Pretty much the only time I use the over hook is when strikes are involved and/or I am setting up a sweep or escape or the Kimura. I really hate having to do it. Its like saying ok your in a dominate position and beating me, let me hold you on me. Just doesn't make since to me. You need space to move, and his weight off you 95% of the time. There are subs there but if you don't get one you lose.

lol! could you post your credentials please? since you know so much better than all of us?

You don't want to be on your side in half guard? So - you want to be flat? Really? Half butterfly will get you passed?

I really think there must be some miscommunication and/or I misunderstood your post. Could you explain what you mean?

dammit I just saw that the guy posted that over a year ago. I guess we will never know what he meant.

I can only assume he meant "with an overhook" about what he posted, but still. Strange to say the least.

dammit I just saw that the guy posted that over a year ago. I guess we will never know what he meant.

I can only assume he meant "with an overhook" about what he posted, but still. Strange to say the least.

He still sounds like an idiot. :icon_lol:

The hard part about the overhook half guard is not getting flatened out. You need to be constantly scooting your hips out using your butterfly hook on the ground, defending the crossface, and sometimes pushing his head.
Controlling his crossfacing hand is probably the most important thing. You can use the mighty overhook/kimura combo (also known as the kimerhook, see www.lockflow.com ) to do this, it opens up sweeps and submissions oportunities.

i made a mini-instructional for this kinda position.. i'm pretty good at it, and a few of my e-jiu jitsu buddies wanted me to film my techniques so i did..

i didnt put it on youtube or anything because i dont want to see like a douche pretending to be a bjj instructor..

if you want a link.. PM me. it's over 100 mb

My go-to move from half guard with an overhook at the moment is the reverse butterfly sweep. Even starting flat on your back, you can really launch someone with this sweep.

TS - another suggestion I might add is that you can attempt to work to transition to deep half guard. With the overhook arm, reach over your opponent's head and grab their gi for leverage (if you use your left arm to overhook, reach over and attempt to grab their left shoulder material). From here, right arm under the leg and scoot under and work for deep half guard.

This is one of the tech's off Jeff Glover's DVD, and you'll have semi-success with this depending on the level of your opponent's top half guard head & arm control pressure / passing game.

However, IMHO, many more options open up for you when you get that underhook. I would personally use your overhook game to work for as many subs / sweeps as possible, however if you're presented with the opportunity to pummel in for that underhook, TAKE IT. Hope this helps!

Back