Overhook/Arm wrap from closed guard

While we're on this, what is the procedure on maintaining a tight overhook while you're working? Somehow I've never heard any advice on this.

You shrimp out to your overhook side, anything else? Annoying as hell when the pull out of a well-earned overhook--especially no gi.

Demian Maia shows a super-easy, super-nasty wristlock counter for when someone overhooks your arm from closed guard.

This thread is going places. I defy you all to not stop posting in it.

This thread delivers.

I'll get the Bravo books (even though I have no plans on starting to play RG) and the Guilobel DVD.

Wait, for the Bravo stuff, do you recommend the DVD or the book?

I mean the book is geat cause you can take it anywhere, but if you have the money, he DVD is easier to follow... For me at least. I always follow BJJ better on film than than in pictures. The cool thing about the book is that Bravo really has a lot of etail and explanations on every single position, transition, move, etc. It's also laid out nicely. But the DVD gives me a better since of the timing, speed, details, etc. It's really all about how much money you want to spend if you ask me. I have both, but I got the bok back before there was a DVD in the first place.

Wow, I just took a second to think about this...and that's genius. You said you have a lot of setups....any more you'd like to share?

Yep 2nd approach is from closed or butterfly off a wristlock attempt. Doesn't work as well as the fake guillotine approach but still a good option.

Opponent has grips on belt or pants or no-gi he is cupping armpits to kill your hips

Step1: With both hands, cup around and behind opponents tricep / elbow.

Step2: Sit up into opponent / Posture up, securing the wrist against your stomach. Maintain the cup on the back of the arm.

Step3: Important! Turn your opposite hip into his wrist towards the secured arm - this locks the wrist down but more importantly his only escape for the wrist / arm is outside your hip.

Step4: Apply pressure for the wristlock, if you get it BONUS, if not his wrist and arm are going to be off the hip /floor that you want to secure. Worst case scenario is his wrist / arm escape the other way and you have the armdrag.

Step5: Arm / wrist is on your hip / floor - shoot your arm high to secure overhook and switch hips outside.

Hope that helps.

Enjoy!:icon_twis

While we're on this, what is the procedure on maintaining a tight overhook while you're working? Somehow I've never heard any advice on this.

You shrimp out to your overhook side, anything else? Annoying as hell when the pull out of a well-earned overhook--especially no gi.

Gi and No-Gi I have the same approach -

#1- Heavy Shrimp outside.

#2- MOST importantly I walk the OUTSIDE foot on the flat of opponents back driving my inner thigh / knee onto his shoulder.

#3- Also with GI of course feed the outside lapel to your hand for securing the arm.

#4- No-Gi version - Chicken wing the arm high over shoulder, maintaining the earlier shrimp and foot posture, lay your palm flat on your stomach, holding it down to secure the overhook.

My coach, Rodrigo Medeiros has told me I should do some Youtube instruction vids for this position because I have alot of variations for sweep / sub options from there. Maybe after I finish the Worlds I will work on this as a side project if guys are interested.

:icon_twis

You're awesome Cowboy Jiujitsu! No doubt an instructional on this topic would be great. Kick ass at the worlds man.

You're awesome Cowboy Jiujitsu! No doubt an instructional on this topic would be great. Kick ass at the worlds man.

Thanks for the well wishes at the Worlds - I'm gonna need it. My division is STACKED (Brown Light Weight) :mad:

Let me know how that those setups and transitions work out for you guys. Any questions on that or any other stuff feel free to ask. :icon_chee

I envy you to be able to be able to train under Rodrigo Medeiros. I have his dvds, and I really like the closed, open, half, side control, and back mount dvds. His stuff has really helped my game. My side control game is a lot greater after watching the dvd a few times and drilling the moves.

Thanks for the well wishes at the Worlds - I'm gonna need it. My division is STACKED (Brown Light Weight) :mad:

Let me know how that those setups and transitions work out for you guys. Any questions on that or any other stuff feel free to ask. :icon_chee

Thanks for posting some really nice, technical answers! Great to get some high quality advice on these boards.

I envy you to be able to be able to train under Rodrigo Medeiros. I have his dvds, and I really like the closed, open, half, side control, and back mount dvds. His stuff has really helped my game. My side control game is a lot greater after watching the dvd a few times and drilling the moves.

Thanks brother - I feel honored that I'm basically getting a PHD in Jiu Jitsu from a World Champion. He's an amazing guy with INSANE jiujitsu. BTW - I see from your lineage (liborio) that we come from the same branch. :D I have heard some AMAZING things about Liborio from Rod. I trained with BTT in Rio but have always wanted to roll with ATT / Liborio as well. Crazy talent from ATT.

Thanks for posting some really nice, technical answers! Great to get some high quality advice on these boards.

My pleasure :D

I have been teaching a pretty long time under Rodrigo's guidance, love teaching and am happy to share if anyone finds what I know useful.

My coach, Rodrigo Medeiros has told me I should do some Youtube instruction vids for this position because I have alot of variations for sweep / sub options from there. Maybe after I finish the Worlds I will work on this as a side project if guys are interested.

:icon_twis

It would be cool to see you performing the moves, I'm having trouble understanding the written explanation, expecially the first set-up. Would you add some details? (like left/right...)

I get here a lot off a failed arm drag or failed attempt to take the back.

Here is the series I use. I'll try to be as succinct as possible because it does sound confusing.

I will work to overhook my opponent's right arm from my guard. Works gi and no-gi

1. With my right hand I grab his right wrist and pull it to my stomach. It doesn't seem like to much of a danger to the opponent at this time.

2. I take my left hand and reach around his right arm a little above his elbow and grab his right wrist. At this point both hands are on his right wrist that is resting on my stomach.

3. Start pulling your left hand towards your opponent's right hip while pushing with your right hand. It is almost looks like a Kimura with the action on the arm person's arm.

4. Here is the good part. The person will react to relieve the pressure. The only way to relieve the pressure without giving up a dominant position is to swim their right arm away from their body. The overhook will just fall into place.

It is hard to explain in words, I hope it makes sense.

Little tip for keeping a tight overhook: make sure the bottom of your wrist lays flat to your chest. Keeping your wrist flat naturally flexes your bicep, meaning tighter grip with less strength. If you turn your wrist on its side you will notice the flex goes away and you have to put more effort into the squeeze. With your wrist flat just move your hand towards your shoulder to apply more pressure.

I'm a 140 lbs and need all of the skeletal and technical advantages I can muster and this technique works for me very well.

^^^
Good one. Thanks. Just another reason I bookmarked this thread.

use an arm drag-overhook combo, i find that works for me in nogi.

The overhook from the guard is something I am trying to study in depth. I can get triangles and omoplatas from there pretty easily IF I can get in this position.

My problem, however, is to get there in the first place. I only have two ways of doing it :

1) Cross grip the sleeve and pull on it, looping the elbow over my head as I get on my side.
2) I get a good cross lapel grip and I pull hard on the opp., getting on my side like in the other tech. This seems to work when spazzes try to jam their forearm into my throat.

Are there any other ways of doing it? Details I seem to be missing? Also, I have more success getting the overhook in gi as opposed to no gi. Both of the techniques I use to get it involve gi grips. So, any info on getting it in no gi?

in no gi it will always be a lot harder to control your opponents limbs, simply because you get so slippery most can just pull out (insert joke here) lol... i find when im in guard, and my opponent is posturing i pull my knees to my chest breaking his/her posture, and when he/she falls choose the arm you want the overhook and take it while they are off balance... works wonders if you can get it down

Back