Overhead Sweep

IronCage**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The following is one of my favorite sweeps when rolling with the gi. When I use it I don't hold the pant leg, I just hold the belt and trap the arm, I scoot in and use my shin to lift them up and they go flying. I saw it being used in old Kosen Judo videos too.

The problem is I have no clue how to execute this technique in no gi. I don't mind holding the top of their short and even give them a weggie if it wasn't illegal.

cap030.jpg

cap031.jpg

cap033.jpg

cap034.jpg

Anyone knows how to modify this technique for no-gi? Please please please

you don't need to grip the pants, just use a deep underhook on the left side, slide your knee slightly right of center on their sternum, grip their left tricep with your right hand, and roll back onto your left shoulder and sweep

you don't need to grip the pants, just use a deep underhook on the left side, slide your knee slightly right of center on their sternum, grip their left tricep with your right hand, and roll back onto your left shoulder and sweep

Thanks for the reply. The key to the sweep is to pull the opponent's weight over you. That is easy when using the belt. In no gi, when there is no grip in the belt area it is very hard to do. As soon as they feel the sweep coming they sit back. With the belt they are trapped and it is much easier to manipulate their position.

I think I need to substitute grabbing the belt with a different grip, I haven't figured out what that grip is.

If you watch Scarola's match with Bill Cooper (GQ US Nationals 06-07) he does a really sick no-gi variation of this sweep while cooper is trying to pass. Ever since I saw that it's been one of my favorite sweeps, especially no-gi.

If you watch Scarola's match with Bill Cooper (GQ US Nationals 06-07) he does a really sick no-gi variation of this sweep while cooper is trying to pass. Ever since I saw that it's been one of my favorite sweeps, especially no-gi.

Is there a video somewhere?

Is there a video somewhere?

there was, but it's now unavailable on youtube. if you do a search on some other sites it might be up though. I have it on DVD myself.

I can see it happening if the opponent is leaning on you while trying to pass. The you don't need to pull the belt or anything, he is doing this work for you, you just use his momentum. But it is very hard to initiate the sweep in no gi with the lack of grip.

I can see it happening if the opponent is leaning on you while trying to pass. The you don't need to pull the belt or anything, he is doing this work for you, you just use his momentum. But it is very hard to initiate the sweep in no gi with the lack of grip.

well duh... no offense, but I wouldn't mention it if it was something stupid like that, and a world class grappler like Bill "The Grill" Cooper doesn't exactly give up sweeps that easily.

I only said to watch the video because it's a bit difficult to explain through a keyboard.

I learned this sweep from Emyr "Shark" Bussade on one my first days of BJJ 2 years ago. The way he taught it was from half guard when the opponent has the crossface and underhook.

You scoot out, put your hook in, reach up and grab the belt, while the other hand grabs the pant leg, and then you sweep over the shoulder. I've used this move tons of times. Also, if the sweep doesn't work, it's an excellent way to regain closed guard. When they are up in the air, instead of sweeping them over, just pull out your bottom foot, and when they come back down, you have closed guard.

This sweep can easily be done nogi. You just have to keep his arm pinned against your chest. Then your other arm underhooks either his far arm or far leg. You roll him up onto you, and kick him over. It's less "overhead" and more "to your left side."

You are using the belt grip to pull the guy onto you. You can just as easily use an underhook on the far side, is the point, to do that. The near arm just needs to be trapped. You can do this sweep from an overhook, in fact.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3a-4AEtiI8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Q3a-4AEtiI8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

check it out at about 40 secs

hook the far leg, and pull him over by the trap as you roll back. I use it all the time; definitely one of my top sweeps now.

Back